Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Aug 15 - Aug 21

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a common communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. Having this information in one thread benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters. The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own fish reports.   This is the fifth year for this type of approach. Post your success or skunks, either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all know if the bite is good or bad.  Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have at our disposal to predict where the better fishing will be tomorrow.  

Quiet site these days,  what's up?

Just bought another albie setup,  tsunami rod and bg reel. I will have 3 good offerings ready to go from the kayak the first albie rumor.

Got out last night, and was pretty excited about the tide/conditions right until i got to the spot and started casting.  Weeds, weeds, and more weeds. Could get hits if got a clean retrieve and pulled a fish out of salad but it was near impossible to even get a few cranks without weeding up with eel grass and that red clingy crap.  Tried another more backwater spot after and the place was paved with silversides but nothing bothering them except occasional shad.  Last few trips have been good, this was the return to reality trip. :banghd:

Posted (edited)

That was my experience as well last night. I think I maybe had one retrieve without weeds. 

Edited by fishinbill

Ugh. Its been relatively weed free this season so i guess we were due.

4 mins ago, SwimBait said:

Mung man, you got the mung.

ohh i caught it all last night.......  :waah:

Posted (edited)

I was out near the race yesterday and there were patches of eel grass all over the surface, some on them nearly an acre in size. As soon as the tied swung it flushed out pretty quickly and we were into fish. I was amazed at how dense the weed was. We lost a fish in the rocks because there was so much grass on the line and we could gain any line.  

Anyway, the north blow early this morning had the fish acting funny this today. They stayed out quite far. They would come up, crash the bait a few times, disappear, and then a few seconds later they would pop up about 50yds away. It seemed like even the birds couldn't keep track of them. It was much like watching albies (I'm pretty certain they were not). The fish looked very small. Much smaller than what I have been seeing the past few weeks. I couldn't hook up today. One good sized school moved really close in at mid-morning, but I was already in the work truck with no gear on me. They hung around in the skinny water for a while. Might try to come back this evening around dusk.

Edited by Matt7082

55 mins ago, Matt7082 said:

I was out near the race yesterday and there were patches of eel grass all over the surface, some on them nearly an acre in size. As soon as the tied swung it flushed out pretty quickly and we were into fish. I was amazed at how dense the weed was. We lost a fish in the rocks because there was so much grass on the line and we could gain any line.  

Anyway, the north blow early this morning had the fish acting funny this today. They stayed out quite far. They would come up, crash the bait a few times, disappear, and then a few seconds later they would pop up about 50yds away. It seemed like even the birds couldn't keep track of them. It was much like watching albies (I'm pretty certain they were not). The fish looked very small. Much smaller than what I have been seeing the past few weeks. I couldn't hook up today. One good sized school moved really close in at mid-morning, but I was already in the work truck with no gear on me. They hung around in the skinny water for a while. Might try to come back this evening around dusk.

Bonito?

Tons of bait. Silversides, peanuts, squid, scup, sea bass. Mostly unharassed. There was a pod or two of mackerel hitting them. No bonito today for me. Did see some caught a few days ago. Was catching a bunch of small black sea bass. They were hitting small metal moving pretty quick through the water. Caught one mackerel. What a nice looking fish. About 12". Caught a small schoolie after dark. Tried a few times for fluke but didn't get any. Little scup and sea bass biting the tails off my gulp. Ugggg. Area paved with bait. Stage set for funny stuff to happen. Hopefully.

Unfortunately there was a big seal lurking around. 

22 hours ago, notime said:

Bonito?

Don't know. They could be, I suppose. I've been fishing here for the past few weeks and it has consistently been bass and blues. This is inside the bay. The funny fish do show up here a little bit, but not very consistent.