jerseystriper

CF Burkheimer rods/2 hand or single hand

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I will give Burkheimer a call next week- I am leaning single hand 8 weight- I believe I will get more use of the rod. The two handed rod application I am still at a very novice level and tend to just grab the single hand, plus in jersey and I am sure as well as other NE spots, when fish are around spin fisher people tend to start crowd me. Its difficult enough to get the extra space I need with single hand rod and furgetabout those who are fishing or just enjoying a walk on beach who get behind you and are clueless that you need as much of  a lane behind you as you do in front of you. Happens in the bay and river estuaries also.  My head is always turning around to make sure no one has walked behind me. 

My wife has only herself to blame for the fly rod madness. She purchased a cheap Shakespeare patriot 6/7 line 8 foot rod some 35 plus years ago as she knew I liked to fish and thought I would enjoy flyfishing. Cheap plastic reel, level line and a piece of metal like a small needle with a barb that one stuck into the fly line to tie on tippet and a handful of trout flys. This was before I had the internet or a home computer so i looked in library on a book on how to  cast, tied on a piece of 4 pound line from a spin reel and hit a river I trout fish in that is an hour or so from home. Somehow I caught bluegill, pumpkin seeds and some smallmouths and thought it was the finest time fishing I ever had. From there it was some cheap 10 weight Pflugger rod plus a reel and my first stripers and its been a joy ever since. Still have the Shakespeare patriot, fish it ever now and again, and the Pflugger reel, which I still use as it is attached to my 2 handed rod. From there its all been a learning experience. 

Romantic evening in Manhattan with my bride of over 30 years, yea that would make me happy to be alive at age 60- Does not get better then that. A party- I don't really need or care for one. 

Thank you all for the input and any further input. 

Back before I build my own - my wife bought me a #8, #9 and a #10 Burki single hand rod.

When I did build my own on - CTS blanks - I couldn't

sell my Burkies fast enough. Very heavy an not lively enough. Of course this was 18-20 yrs ago - have no idea about new iterations.

HerB

Jersey - why an 8wt? I grew up in NJ and fished IBSP a lot, and I mean a lot over the years. Fishing out front, a 10 was generally the go to rod with a 9 being a somewhat distant second. Backbays, an 8 was fine but even there I found the wind would make me grab something a little bit heavier, usually a 9.

I have a Burke......about 12-15 years old, live < 40 miles from his home and factory, and in what should be "Burkheimer country" from Portland, OR thoughout the whole Columbia river drainage with all the fabled rivers I can tell you the Burkheimer name never comes up (to my ears anyway) in conversations.  Hearing that these are now $1000 is not terribly surprising to me.  That they are considered "heirlooms"......is.

But then.....I have for decades been preaching a mantra that, for the most part.....especially with the impregnated composite rod blanks (as opposed to hand shaped bamboo) that can be rolled on a mandrel and baked in an oven by anyone, there are no secrets or magic built in, buyable with $$$$.  The differences are in the casters, their position on the casting learning curve, their casting mechanic quirks, and their lack of adaptability and flexibility to the particular action variation of any particular line of rods.....or any particular rod.

The fact that you were casting a particular rod mediocre until you took some advice and changed to a different line weight/design tells me this.  Notice I never said that a good caster can cast ANY rod with ANY line......nor have I ever said that a good caster will LIKE all rods equally altho he/she can cast and fish them all equally well.

What happens is that caster RZ, at a mid-point on the learning curve with quirk-set D5v9m picks up a rod new to him/her and applies his/her mechanics to this new rod action and finds out if this rod particularly suits his/her quirks.  If it happens to then there ensues an epiphany.  If the rod is particularly expensive, then he/she is the start of a particular rod cult-following.  If the rod doesn't suit the particular rigid mechanics.....and is expensive......then the rod gets the blame.  And so on.

Not that some people aren't dazzled by spending big $$$$ of something flashy  and status heavy.....like a Rolex watch......or Ferrari.  There is, after all, only 60 seconds in any Rolex minute. They will always be happy with the result.  Psychologists have a specific term for the dynamic.

But my reason for writing in this particular case is that a BLIND purchase of an expensive rod by someone on the middle position of the casting-learning curve is an flat out CRAPSHOOT!  Whatever Kerry might know about rod design and action......he knows nothing about your particular casting mechanics.

I recognize that the understory here is the desire by your wife to do something super special and lasting for you, and if the value is the perception....then apply your memory eraser to what you have just read......and ......ENJOY!  But if the value will be judged upon a measurable improvement in your casting......then........maybe........hopefully.......but maybe not.  Based upon THAT measure.......maybe the best gift she could give you would be casting lessons.....that come with a platinum, hang on the wall, Mike Oliver certificate of achievement.

What?? I recognize that some of you might be scratching your head as to whether I just insulted Mike.....or gave him an obtuse compliment.  I assure you I would never do the former.....and know that I can get REALLY obtuse in the latter.

Good luck!

Drew- wind is a factor- east wind or north east wind will have me grab one of my 10 weights- both are sage- an old RPLX and a “newer” (bought used) xi3- the xi3 is I think a very good rod or it just fits the way I cast- enjoy the rod- the RPLX was a gift from wife before children, when at that point money decisions completely change. One of the guides rusted through and I sent it back to sage for repair- Rod never felt the same after repair-  when winds are west or even just moderate from north or south with a bit of west to them I tend to just grab the 8 weight and leave the 10 in car in case I feel a need for it. Can’t really see a need for 9 weight- 

Peter- Thank you for the comments. whether you  insulted Mike or not I suspect the two of you can decide. 

As for a rod or this rod making me or anyone else a better caster, well no it won't. Its not a whole lot different then that other game I play- Golf. 

The latest golf club will not let me hit a ball further then one from 10 years ago- Its an improvement but its my golf swing, not the club per say- A Titleist or Taylor Made or Ping driver is not necessarily  better then one made by Mizzuno or Cobra- . One thing about golf clubs is that one can go to a "fitter" and find clubs that may fit your swing better then another. Sure, one can take a lessons and spend hours on practice but I only have so much time in life and my 13 handicap lets me play well enough to enjoy the game. I suspect the same is true with fly rod casting- take lessons and practice and I suspect I could up the distance I cast or even do it easier but again I have other obligations and things I like to do, surf, duck hunt, run miles and lift to stay in shape. Something has to give, I can't be the most proficient at any one thing so i settle on being good on a variety of things. Anyway I do enjoy your take on it. 

Thank you

As I and others have said - a Burk is not an inherently better casting rod vs any of the other high end offerings that are available. 

But with a Burk you will certainly getting a better components vs a similar model from Sage. You will also get a rod with vastly superior fit and finish vs Sage and a bit better than T&T and a bit more than that vs Scott. If he takes the time to make clean wraps, avoiding gobs of finish at the guide feet (maybe take note of this one Sage, hint hint…) maybe he also takes more time when it comes to his blanks, materials, etc. 

So for about the same money vs the others you get a good bit more imho. 

One thing not mentioned, warranty. Be sure to look at Kerry’s policy. I’ve never had a warranty repair with him so I can’t comment on how long it would take for a replacement section but I’d expect it to be a while. He does offer the option of getting additional sections. I did do that on the current order but not on any of my others. 

On 8/14/2022 at 0:16 PM, jerseystriper said:

jjp5- just saw your post- I will give a call. Heard Kerry on one of April Vokey podcasts and impressed with his passion. I do get that other individual rod makers or those who work for the Sage/Orvis/Loomis  etc also have a great passion for great rods. I did cast the newer Orvis 8.5 foot Helios™ 3 Blackout Fly Rod last summer when I was on vacation in Charlestown SC (wife rolls eyeballs as husband wanders into Orvis shop to "just look around").  I thought it was a tremendous rod and probably perfect on a boat for red fish. 8.5 feet vs 9 is probably not a huge difference but I want a 9 footer if its a single hand. 

I'm listening to this right now, thanks for mentioning it. It's definitely a good listen, especially some of the history. 

The best part of age is knowing what makes you happy. Buy the rod, if it stinks, sell it. Before you decide, get a casting lesson or 2 with it and try a bunch of lines. My guess is you will have a ton of fun and enjoy rh

Jersey

No Peter did not insult me at all. It is just his way.  I get that you do a lot of things in your life. You are blessed. Enjoy.

cheers

mike

On 8/16/2022 at 6:21 AM, jerseystriper said:

That, I am blessed is a no doubt.

Make sure to enjoy life and don't stress too much about gear.  Expensive or otherwise.  The research says that people end up valuing experiences over possessions.  The high that you get from a new rod, reel, etc...tends to fade rather quickly.  Memories of events and shared happiness -- timeless.