jerseystriper

CF Burkheimer rods/2 hand or single hand

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Fellow flyfishers- I will shortly be coming on 60th birthday- wife asked if i want a party- no please, no party- I would rather save money on party and put it as a down payment on CF Burkheimer rod. Looking for something different outside the usually Sage/T and T/Orvis/G-Loomis rods. Something a bit like a heirloom. 

Anyway the rod would be for stripers/blues/Spanish Macs and the odd False Albecore that flings by Sandy Hook area of New Jersey. 

I picked up at a very cheap price a two handed Cortland CL 5/6 12.5 foot long rod a couple of years ago and have been using /experimenting with that now on ocean front/back bay and local salt water river. I enjoy having and using two arms as it saves some wear and tear on right elbow/shoulder. Its not always the easiest rod to cast depending on wind/wind direction and when out front on ocean, dealing with waves but I am learning when its a appropriate tool to use and when using a single hand rod is the better option. I also have a old sage RPLX circa 1995 or so 8 weight rod that friend built for me on that blank. It is generally my go to rod unless I want to use the 2 handed rod or I feel I need the 10 weight due to wind or large fish being (40 inch plus) being likely encountered. The 8 weight can handle that but I don't like to unnecessary  exhaust a fish. 

I want this rod to be a 8 weight-single or two handed equal. I think the 12' 8" / 6wt. Model: 6128-4 is the 2 handed equal to single hand 8, unless I am completely off on fly line weight. 

So having said all that- Has anyone cast/fished a  Burkheimer rod? Single hand? two hand? I know the price will be a grand, but I have worked since I was 14- I think for my 60th BD I can get something for me. Are they as good as advertised? or is it hype? Can the two handed spey rod handle salt water? 

Does the single hand cast and feel better then the 2 handed one? 

I know a lot of a rod and how it feels is in with the individual who is casting/holding it- I may think a rod is great and you could pick it up and say it stinks' or vice versa.  

There is one fly shop in North Jersey that sells them, but I do not know if they have any in stock to cast. I could always wait till the Somerset show and see if a dealer has any to cast. 

Just looking for onions. 

Thank you. 

I have not tried the CF Burkheimer and only know one friend who had one for trout applications. BUT your story rings a bell when I justified my purchase of the T&T Exocet surf 11.2 10 weight TH rod. I went through a learning curve with this rod using several 10 weight lines that gave me mid range casting distance and no more than I got with a 9 foot 10 weight Loomis. I was disappointed..........

THEN the curve was flattened by Cary Greene  and his line recommendations for this rod.

It now casts  very very well with the right lines  .........like the missile it's named after. I can't imagine another set up working better in the Northeast surf. We  fish the same waters and you are welcome to try this set up. It would only be right to pay forward the kindness and time CG gave to me.

Send a pm if interested.

Posted (edited)

I have more than a 'few' Burks, all single hand, from 6-11wts. I also have another on order. To put it mildly - I love them. I have no experience with the 2 handers though.

My oldest (9 & 10wts) are probably 20 years old at this point. They just went back to Kerry for handle replacement. They've see a ton of use over the years. I sold off most of my other stuff years ago because I never used it since I always grabbed the Burks. I picked up the others more recently because I wanted 4pc rods for travel. My life has finally settled down a bit and I should be able to travel more in the future.

Casting, as with any rod, it will only cast up to the skill level of the caster. I like them because they are true to their line weights - a 9 wt throws a true 9wt line, not like say Sage where you buy a rod and then have to go over by 1 for 2 wts.... The rods also have a very nice feel. They load further down the blank than many others but they have a fast, crisp recovery. So you get a nice 'feel' for the cast but the rods are definitely not mushy or soft.

Getting them is the hard part. Yes, there are some dealers but I doubt that they have any stock. Generally, you have to order direct from Kerry. You need to be prepared to wait some time in general and it is a good bit longer now with supply chain issues. I have a 10wt tarpon on order from mid May that I am hoping will be here for the fall. I was expecting delivery during the winter. Last year I placed an order in early October and got them mid March.

Edited by Drew C.

Jerseystriper.

Never seen let alone cast one of these rods. The problem with rods that have a nice reputation and are desirable is that is not always the sole or best reason to buy them. Quite simply when you get your hands on one you just might not like it. I have aspired to high end American Spey rods for rivers but luckily got to cast them and they were not for me. 

We then come to the vexed question of an 8 wt spey rod for use in the ocean. Honestly it will not give you any better performance than your 8 wt single hander, in fact you might well struggle with it in a head breeze.  Mind if you are fishing 8 wts conditions are going to be pretty decent. Remember it is a Spey rod designed for rivers they do not cut it nicely in the ocean.

It comes down to what you consider is good performance. I see a lot of guys who seem to be happy with 30 to 50 feet casts.

If you are treating yourself to one Burki unseen and not cast the safer option will be the single hander.

I missed a trick here it was my 70 th in Feb and I should have been thinking on the same lines as you. I too dislike these tra la family surprise land mark birthday parties .

Your rod stays with you to the end. Can’t beat that. Enjoy.

Mike

I have the titanium saltwater 8/9/10 ( 2 extra sections). It is a great rod. You need to really slow down your cast with it, then it is a cannon. I also find that it has a fairly narrow sweet spot, which means there are some days that there are many blown casts. if you like a deep bending, heavy loading, cannon then you will love it. Give Kerry a ring and he will tell you about the rods. It will put a huge smile on your face! 

Thank you all for your thoughts/idea's. 

Yard- PM's sent- again thanks and hopefully we meet up. 

Drew- Thanks for your input- Waiting is not a issue, I have so many other rods that I have picked up used over the years that a 6 month wait till April is fine. I wonder what fly line, in your experience  works for you? SA? Orvis? Rio? Cortland? shooting head with running line or full WF-8-I line? For what it is worth I prefer Rio and will want a Intermitted line to start with. I have preference in feeling the rod load quickly with the first 20-25 feet of line out on first back cast. 

Mike as usual. I appreciate your input. Depending on wind direction and speed, fly being used, how much dancing with waves/breakers I am doing out front 50-70 feet is my usual distance for a cast. The two handed rod is generally going to be used away from the ocean front in local rivers or bay. Its does get a bit tricking when dealing with the ocean.

A party is nice but its a one day event, a nice rod will be with me till they put me in the ground and I will enjoy it more in the long run. I can go to a half price play in Manhattan with my wife, plus a good pizza place and beer afterwards and enjoy that as my celebration. 

3 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Jerseystriper.

We then come to the vexed question of an 8 wt spey rod for use in the ocean. Honestly it will not give you any better performance than your 8 wt single hander, in fact you might well struggle with it in a head breeze.  Mind if you are fishing 8 wts conditions are going to be pretty decent. 

Your rod stays with you to the end. Can’t beat that. Enjoy.

Mike

jjp5- just saw your post- I will give a call. Heard Kerry on one of April Vokey podcasts and impressed with his passion. I do get that other individual rod makers or those who work for the Sage/Orvis/Loomis  etc also have a great passion for great rods. I did cast the newer Orvis 8.5 foot Helios™ 3 Blackout Fly Rod last summer when I was on vacation in Charlestown SC (wife rolls eyeballs as husband wanders into Orvis shop to "just look around").  I thought it was a tremendous rod and probably perfect on a boat for red fish. 8.5 feet vs 9 is probably not a huge difference but I want a 9 footer if its a single hand. 

Great rods, especially for what they were intended to do (spey or switch rod use in rivers).  The Burkie two handers are prized for their spey, i.e. water loaded cast application.  But I'd have to agree with Mike on this one - they may not be the best rod for two hand overhead use.

You said:

"I want this rod to be a 8 weight-single or two handed equal. I think the 12' 8" / 6wt. Model: 6128-4 is the 2 handed equal to single hand 8, unless I am completely off on fly line weight."

Like I said, the Burkies excel as spey rods, but are not designed specifically for two hand overhead from a beach.  I am sure that the Burkie can throw an 8wt line overhead if you get the timing down, but (bear with me) perhaps a better two hand overhead rod for this application is the Echo Boost Beach  8122-4.  That's 12ft 2" and it throws an 8wt line overhead (Airflo makes a specific line for it, but you'd want to grab one quick).  It's stiffer in the lower third, designed specifically for two hand use on the beach, and has the right flex profile for what you want to do, assuming an 8wt line is enough for your use, given wind and surf conditions where you actually fish.  I'm not going to say that it's a better rod than the Burkie because it isn't.  Just that it is designed with the use you specify in mind.  The Echo rods are also only $299, so around 1/4 the cost.  YMMV.

Killiefish- Thank you- I appreciate the honest assessment, hence why I posted/poised the question. Don't want to spend money and be disappointed, want to use the rod. 

You're welcome.  Also as stated in another thread, Airflo has been purchased by another company.  If you act quickly you may be able to find the specific line made for the Echo Boost Beach 8wt on sale or discontinued for less $ than original retail.  Get a couple of them before they are gone.

It's hard to go wrong with a Burkheimer. In the event it ends up not for you, they hold resale value, pretty well. 
If you're not yet firm on the Burkie, you might also want to consider a Meiser. Another quality rod, and you can call them and discuss exactly what you want. They'll also supply a custom line based on your requirements. 
And, don't forget Beulah, if you decide you want something off the shelf. Tight Lines in Parsippany carries them. 

Good luck in your purchase. What ever you decide on will be great, I'm sure. 

53 mins ago, jerseystriper said:

Drew- Thanks for your input- Waiting is not a issue, I have so many other rods that I have picked up used over the years that a 6 month wait till April is fine. I wonder what fly line, in your experience  works for you? SA? Orvis? Rio? Cortland? shooting head with running line or full WF-8-I line? For what it is worth I prefer Rio and will want a Intermitted line to start with. I have preference in feeling the rod load quickly with the first 20-25 feet of line out on first back cast. 

I use a bunch of different lines for mine. Generally I like a line that weighs close to the aftma standard for the first 30'. Right now I am practicing with my 10wts and trying to decide which line to pair with which rod. The lines that I am using right now are Rio's Flats Pro 9wt (it is one size heavy), The Angling Co Balance Taper 10wt, and finally the SA Tarpon in a 10. The two rods are my new 10wt Burk and a 10wt Sector. I have not yet added the older Burk to the mix.The Burk handles all of those lines well, I honestly can't find on that's better than the other. The Sector is a bit different of a rod, a little softer, so far I like lines with a slightly  shorter head on that one (the SA).

I've also used various NE type lines and older shooting heads (one size up on the shooting heads). They all work with the Burk. Again, generally I like lines that are close to the aftma weight at the first 30' This may mean getting a line a size down (most likely) or up to get what I want. Many of Rio's lines are at least one size heavy with some being more.

jersey,

If back bays and fresh water then spey rods are just fine. I am almost qualified to say this as I now cast and fish spey rods from 7 wts to 15 foot 10wts.

As Fishers we understand that a rod can be a friend for life. I am guessing that a rather nice romantic evening in Manhattan with your dear lady wife will mean more than any noisy party. Your beautiful rod a permanent reminder of how much she truly cares for you.

Great story. 

Mike