srm413

Penn Slammer handle on Spinfishers

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Just installed these.  They look great and give a bit more cranking power and line retrieve.  3500 and 4500.

DSC00202.JPG

DSC00201.JPG

got me curious lmk how it works out i just won a 6500 set up from the ole striper cup and have 3 others already..great reels they take a beating..if it feels like theres a big difference id try it out myself...thanks

i already had a Slammer crank on a spinfisher 6500 VI and really liked the feel, so i picked up the ones for the 3500 and 4500.  The original rubber grips are fine, but i like the larger power knob.  But, its really an individual opinion as to what one likes.

I have a slammer handle on my 4500 LL VI and I couldn’t use it on the beach without it. The stock handle that comes with the SSVI in smaller sizes is junk. The power handle is a great upgrade.

On 8/13/2022 at 6:22 PM, ProSkateFisherman said:

I have a slammer handle on my 4500 LL VI and I couldn’t use it on the beach without it. The stock handle that comes with the SSVI in smaller sizes is junk. The power handle is a great upgrade.

Was just going to say I did the same with my liveliners. 

33 mins ago, Finneus said:

Very nice. Do they spin right on or do you need to change any parts out? 

I find that the balance is good. No wobble on my 4500LL with the slammer handle on it. No extra parts needed.

I just got a Gomexus power knob/handle assembly for my Spinfisher VI 4500, so far so good. Pretty sure they just started selling these as I had only ever seen just the power knobs in the past. The Gomexus handle is a bit longer than the stock handle. Feels well balanced. 

Might feel a little cheap compared to the Slammer 3 4500 handle but I don’t know for sure, only basing it off the much larger handle for my Slammer 3 6500, which is rock solid. For this smaller reel I think it’ll work out just fine.

3 hours ago, Finneus said:

Very nice. Do they spin right on or do you need to change any parts out? 

spins right on.

35 mins ago, iwantmypie said:

I just got a Gomexus power knob/handle assembly for my Spinfisher VI 4500, so far so good. Pretty sure they just started selling these as I had only ever seen just the power knobs in the past. The Gomexus handle is a bit longer than the stock handle. Feels well balanced. 

Might feel a little cheap compared to the Slammer 3 4500 handle but I don’t know for sure, only basing it off the much larger handle for my Slammer 3 6500, which is rock solid. For this smaller reel I think it’ll work out just fine.

Did you need to do any drilling or did it just fit right on? If u could provide link to specific handle that would be great

1 hour ago, iwantmypie said:

Yes I think before you had to drill out the stock handle to put the gomex knob on it. That's why I never changed mine out before. These sound like 2 good options now 

Unpopular opinion but I actually prefer the original knob over the power handle.  I have a slammer 3 6500 HS and switched over to the other knob(same as spinfisher) after using the power handle for a few months. 

Not sure if anyone else does this but I retrieve with just my fingertips until I stick a fish.  Always thought it helped me feel fish hitting my plug.  I also have huge hands to that might be part of it. 

Posted (edited)

how much is the gomexus handle?  i think i paid around $45 for the penn handle.  i really don't think you can go better than original equipment penn handle. obviously matches the reel perfectly with no drilling or other mods.

Edited by srm413

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, stripahslayah said:

Did you need to do any drilling or did it just fit right on? If u could provide link to specific handle that would be great

Pretty sure I can’t link it here but if you search for Gomexus Spinfisher handle on the Rainforest e-commerce site it’s the first hit you’ll get.

No drilling required, straight up handle swap. 

$35 compared to the $65-$70 I’ve seen for the Slammer OEM handle online. 

Edited by iwantmypie

19 hours ago, Fiddlehead said:

Not sure if anyone else does this but I retrieve with just my fingertips until I stick a fish.  Always thought it helped me feel fish hitting my plug.  I also have huge hands to that might be part of it. 

I also do that, unless I’m fishing something that is larger/heavier and needs more than my fingertips to retrieve. I don’t know if it helps with sensitivity, and I do it just out of habit I think, especially on smaller reels.