aae0130

Braid/Fluoro

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

What I typically fish with…..
Nexus spinning 7 ft mh for schoolies 
Penn Battle II 3000

3/4 oz to 1 oz. jig heads with 4 and 5 inch paddle tails…

30 lb. Power Pro

Murky or stained salt water (back bay and tidal rivers) from boat.

Both of my shoulders are bad and I can no longer get a good finish to my casts. I end up dealing with a lot of braid wind knots. I close my bail manually so it isn’t that……Will Fluoro help with the knots as I am growing frustrated? I have never used fluoro for other than leaders and I have read about memory issues……am I just trading problems if I switch? I was thinking something about 12/15 lb test….

Edited by aae0130

On 8/13/2022 at 9:01 AM, aae0130 said:

What I typically fish with…..
Nexus spinning 7 ft mh for schoolies 
Penn Battle II 3000

3/4 oz to 1 oz. jig heads with 4 and 5 inch paddle tails…

30 lb. Power Pro

Murky or stained salt water (back bay and tidal rivers) from boat.

Both of my shoulders are bad and I can no longer get a good finish to my casts. I end up dealing with a lot of braid wind knots. I close my bail manually so it isn’t that……Will Fluoro help with the knots as I am growing frustrated? I have never used fluoro for other than leaders and I have read about memory issues……am I just trading problems if I switch? I was thinking something about 12/15 lb test….

I'd fish mono rather than fluoro.  Fluoro tends to be stiff.  Usable on conventional--freshwater bass fishermen use it in some applications because it sinks--but if using a spinning reel, mono would be a better casting line.

Have you ever tried Berley FireLine? It's been around for along time... I use it quite a bit on light tackle saltwater and freshwater spinning rods for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Mostly the Chessie and coastal waters...

Posted (edited)

14 mins ago, JAL said:

Have you ever tried Berley FireLine? It's been around for along time... I use it quite a bit on light tackle saltwater and freshwater spinning rods for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Mostly the Chessie and coastal waters...

It’s easily obtainable locally…..I will give it a shot.   I am physically unable to cast like I did….never had issues with braid until my right shoulder started going. Now it’s crazy wind knots constantly. I have switched rods, reels……different tests…..still the same thing. 

Oddly, on my heavier gear it’s not an issue. I guess with the heavier weight I’m throwing it never gets slack anywhere. 

Thanks….

Edited by aae0130