bob_G

bbq beef, but not brisket

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I'd like to bbq a large hunk o beef, but not brisket.  Babysitting a brisket for 18-20 hours is just too tedious.

Has anyone had some experience bbqing different cuts of beef other than brisket?

Plate ribs are awesome, chuck is very good, never done cheeks but it's on my list.  Blanking on any other beef bbq cuts.

I'm about the throw a 6lb gound chuck in the smoker after work.  I'm expecting about a 5/6 hr cook.  

Chuck is almost bullet proof compared to brisket.  Back ribs have always sucked but we get very poor ones I think.  Short rib plate is good but I always babysat them like brisket.  I still do a brisket once in a while but hotter and foiled so much faster.  

Thanks guys.  Bought a nice, well marbled chuck roast, and going to bbq it this Sunday. 

let us know how it turns out, I have done 2 of them. edible, but was hoping for better. if done right I think chuck roast would be outstanding. 

I prefer chuck over a brisket or tri tip and it's usually what I do.  Sometimes I slice it and sometimes I'll shred it.

Eye roast isn't bad either especially if you want pull it at 145 to 150 and stick it in the fridge to slice up later for lunch meat.

I know alot of guys swear by the brisket cuts but I just can't get to that point 

Good marveled prime chuck. Treat it like brisket, slather w/ beef base - concentrate, fave beef rub (I like a Meat Church Holy Cow), take till bark is firmly established, wrap in butcher paper & a little liquid, e.g. beef tallow, take till probe tender. If you want to slice take till just probe tender, 200 ish give or take. If you want to pull, take till super probe tender, over 200.

So moist, beefy and flavorful. You'll love it.

Here's three I did on KBQ stick burner a couple months back in the pic below. We had many meals of pulled barbecue beef.

Best regards,

JD

IMG_0117.jpeg

12 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Good marveled prime chuck. Treat it like brisket, slather w/ beef base - concentrate, fave beef rub (I like a Meat Church Holy Cow), take till bark is firmly established, wrap in butcher paper & a little liquid, e.g. beef tallow, take till probe tender. If you want to slice take till just probe tender, 200 ish give or take. If you want to pull, take till super probe tender, over 200.

So moist, beefy and flavorful. You'll love it.

Here's three I did on KBQ stick burner a couple months back in the pic below. We had many meals of pulled barbecue beef.

Best regards,

JD

IMG_0117.jpeg

I'd hose every EFFING  bit of that,,,,,with slaw of course

First attempt with chuck roast, and we were happy with it.

I gave it a good rub with some Worcestershire sauce, salt, fresh ground pepper and some cumin.

In the smoker for 1.5 hours @275* over oak. The double wrapped it in foil, back in the smoker until the internal temp hit 205*.

Removed from foil, and left it in the smoker another half hour to dry it out and crisp up the edges.

IMG_20220814_110402.jpg

IMG_20220814_110740.jpg

IMG_20220814_111139.jpg

IMG_20220814_170642.jpg

IMG_20220814_180804.jpg

I’ve done beef cheeks and they have to be cleaned , they came out excellent … I’ve also done whole n y strip 7-10lb on a Weber 26 kettle  which was excellent….another event I  setup a horse shoe of coals and cherry wood chunks  and lit one end on a Weber 22 kettle..the coal/ wood burned all the way around the perimeter of the kettle and the meat was perfect… if using the horse shoe method the meat will only give you temperature on the side of the meat closest to the coal.. when the heat reaches the end of the horse shoe you will have it’s true temp …when cooking the whole n y strip tie the meat with butcher string … 

On 8/14/2022 at 6:42 PM, bob_G said:

First attempt with chuck roast, and we were happy with it.

I gave it a good rub with some Worcestershire sauce, salt, fresh ground pepper and some cumin.

In the smoker for 1.5 hours @275* over oak. The double wrapped it in foil, back in the smoker until the internal temp hit 205*.

Removed from foil, and left it in the smoker another half hour to dry it out and crisp up the edges.

IMG_20220814_110402.jpg

IMG_20220814_110740.jpg

IMG_20220814_111139.jpg

IMG_20220814_170642.jpg

IMG_20220814_180804.jpg

Beauty! Looks delicious. Excellent bark. It sliced nicely too. Glad you were pleased. 

If you were to do it again, would you do anything differently?

JD