finbar

Your best fishing tools

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

What are your favorite old or new fishing-related tools or accessories? Which one do you miss the most when you forget to bring it along?

My 2 choices: My new Zacx hook remover - really good for gut/gullet hooked bass.

Second one is the old stand-by 'jaw spreader' - especially ice fishing for Pike/Pickerel. (why be a blood donor?):)

Posted (edited)

Most fun & rewarding have been lure molds. 

Diamond jig, casting spoon, & crippled herring.  

I now sit and ponder things like modifications, non-toxic alloys, paints, hooks, techniques etc etc. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

Most fun & rewarding have been lure molds. 

Diamond jig, casting spoon, & crippled herring.  

I now sit and ponder things like modifications, non-toxic alloys, paints, hooks, techniques etc etc. 

I really like making my own jigs also. Can I see a picture of your crippled herring mold? 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, giggyfish said:

I really like making my own jigs also. Can I see a picture of your crippled herring mold? 

Looks like this.   The smallest 2 are really tough to pour.  But caught some trout on them.  62f7c752a5721_Capture_2022-08-13-11-45-07.png.577ffaeb96ba15779dd96e2683cb3f25.pngthis was the first pour. Stone cold mold with a bismuth/tin alloy. 

size 1 & 0 eyelets.  0 are really a pita to put in mold. IMG_20220129_162010_01.jpg.9acb8539d285e0d2cd0e45598cf4ba83.jpg

Edited by PSegnatelli

Thanks Pseg’s, I’ve been eyeing that seller on the bay for a while. Gonna give them a shot I think. I haven’t really molded blade style lures much just jig heads and bucktails. I love catching on homemade stuff. 

9970B3C8-B18A-4F7F-90D4-99ACA94DF1D2.jpeg

21 mins ago, giggyfish said:

Thanks Pseg’s, I’ve been eyeing that seller on the bay for a while. Gonna give them a shot I think. I haven’t really molded blade style lures much just jig heads and bucktails. I love catching on homemade stuff. 

9970B3C8-B18A-4F7F-90D4-99ACA94DF1D2.jpeg

Good lookin stuff!  

Painted sinkers?  Can u tell the difference?

It’s for winter flounder in Quincy bay. If it doesn’t help it gives my two little girls something to look at. 

On 8/12/2022 at 3:53 PM, Jeff270 said:

My Boomerang line cutter.

Thanks for that. I just checked it out and will be ordering one. Most of my braid-cutting scissors have rusted up. 

22 mins ago, finbar said:

Thanks for that. I just checked it out and will be ordering one. Most of my braid-cutting scissors have rusted up. 

They are great because they just plain work. Fyi they also have a long scissor like model available in addition to the smaller cutter

On 8/13/2022 at 8:53 AM, bumknee said:

Needle nose pliers and a bait knife.

Preferably rusted. :cool:

On 8/13/2022 at 11:46 AM, PSegnatelli said:

Looks like this.   The smallest 2 are really tough to pour.  But caught some trout on them.  :th:62f7c752a5721_Capture_2022-08-13-11-45-07.png.577ffaeb96ba15779dd96e2683cb3f25.pngthis was the first pour. Stone cold mold with a bismuth/tin alloy. 

size 1 & 0 eyelets.  0 are really a pita to put in mold. IMG_20220129_162010_01.jpg.9acb8539d285e0d2cd0e45598cf4ba83.jpg

Those would be good in  both fresh and salt. :th: