rreelman

Plovers

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

They were put on the endangered list three decades ago, and are monitored in New York for the last 20 years or so. Population has increased since. Still, there are only about 4000 pairs remaining worldwide, a few hundreds of which nest here on Long Island. Too many predators out there for their eggs and chicks: gulls, crows, foxes, racoon, etc. It seems to me there is still a very long way to go before restrictions are removed. 

Edited by Rough

1 hour ago, Rough said:

They were put on the endangered list three decades ago, and are monitored in New York for the last 20 years or so. Population has increased since. Still, there are only about 4000 pairs remaining worldwide, a few hundreds of which nest here on Long Island. Too many predators out there for their eggs and chicks: gulls, crows, foxes, racoon, etc. It seems to me there is still a very long way to go before restrictions are removed. 

Love that they will hunt and kill the foxes to save this bird. Meanwhile, I’ve seen plenty of raccoons the size of small dogs and crazy ladies that feed the stray cats but yet these animals are not killed to save this bird.

On 8/12/2022 at 5:12 PM, Rough said:

. It seems to me there is still a very long way to go before restrictions are removed. 

Never going to happen, and idiots like these will only make it worse

https://www.nps.gov/gate/learn/news/reward-offered-for-information-about-intentional-destruction-of-shorebird-eggs-and-nests-in-new-york.htm

It this wimpy governmen tmakes me very angry that the minority with their big money over rule the majority--how many businesses went bankrupt because of the plovers?

4 hours ago, mark77 said:

Who are these scumbag degenerates? Like really, where do these people come from? How do you go through life with such a destructive, cruel, sadistic, and careless mindset? I can't even imagine myself in these people's shoes. 

hate to say it... but they might need to "trap/spay/cull" some of those feral cats on the outer beaches