RAW

Beach bite still good, any hours.

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Been 2 weeks and the bite on the beach in 1 st wave chunking has very good compared to last 3-5 years. The SE blow and has brought some seaweed and seems to be keeping fish here. Guys even fishing midday are digging sandworms and hooking up quick. Biggest so far 29" , most are 18-21" fat and healthy. Last night son, grandson fished incoming change 6;30 to 8, every 3-4 casts and light weed removal produced fish until 3 seals moved in. A new bowl has been created in about 2-3' of water on low tide and created a rip.! Supposedly there were blues just a litle south in 40' of water. Some shad have returned and are working the sand eels. Great start for August!

IMG_1011.jpg

Good on you! Went out a for a few hours around midnight to fish the top of high and took a skunk. No wind and the clouds cleared out early. Too bright and too calm. Alas.

RAW that corona needs a lime lol

I might hit OOB Tuesday but the sound of weed in the water might dissuade me from going. 

the weeds are spotty, keeping rod high really helps, plus they are always in close 30-40 from beach edge, 2-3' of water

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

Anything on lures?

I’m having full moon struggles but before the last couple days I’ve been on a good artificial bite. Big topwaters during the day and various plastics and needles at night. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

Anything on lures?

few on white bomber, kastmasters, best lure white bucktail tipped with 3" mackeral strip

C611095B-072E-4E72-8D61-A02187A1DE10.jpeg

Edited by RAW

Great thread!

Thanks for posting. RAW, I’d have never thought of tipping a Bucktail w/ a mackerel strip. Great idea!

I’m gonna give it a shot from the beach over the next couple days. Hope getting a couple days past the full moon will help. 3 days on either side has always been my preference. I’m gonna try both lures & bait. Any good bait & tackle shops in the Scarborough area? I hope that sewage spill doesn’t mess things up too badly.

Best regards.

JD

1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

Great thread!

Thanks for posting. RAW, I’d have never thought of tipping a Bucktail w/ a mackerel strip. Great idea!

I’m gonna give it a shot from the beach over the next couple days. Hope getting a couple days past the full moon will help. 3 days on either side has always been my preference. I’m gonna try both lures & bait. Any good bait & tackle shops in the Scarborough area? I hope that sewage spill doesn’t mess things up too badly.

Best regards.

JD

Saco bay tackle on Rte 1 Saco. They have what you need and are good people

2 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Great thread!

Best regards.

JD

Use a strip of mackeral1x 3” , cast, let stand 4-5 seconds , reel in dragging 2-3 feet repeat . The jig I use is white  /white bucktail. In August this always work for any age person. I only work 30-40 feet in 2-3 ‘ water in the waves. Grandsons got 13 last nite in 1.5 hours incoming tide.

Hey RAW, coming to DI on 9/3 looking forward to fishing with you . Hope there are still a few fish around. Always enjoy reading your posts. See you in a few weeks. 

On 8/12/2022 at 8:55 AM, RAW said:

pretty sure hickory

Been getting some larger American in the Piscataqua lately on flies, enough to switch down to my 8 weight to maximize the fun. Always a nice surprise when they jump...