Popasilov

Hershey park or Dutch wonderland?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Coming to Lancaster on Saturday; driving from Long island; older daughter has a bridal shower to attend in Mt Joy and while we are waiting for her we would like to take younger one, 9 years old, somewhere to have fun.

I have never been there, so I have no idea where and what.

Thank you

And, no to fishing.

I was thinking of a small rod and reel but wife just gave me a look.

I value my life too much to confront an angry mama bear.

19 mins ago, phishallways said:

Hp has some big carp. You’ll regret it.

Maybe

But I will be alive.

3 hours ago, phishallways said:

Hp has some big carp. You’ll regret it.

Pretty sure people feed them. Some of them are real fat. 

Posted (edited)

Worked at Hershey Park one summer in college. Those massive tourist-fed carp get loose when the park floods and end up in a nearby creek. 

Definitely Hershey Park is the way to go. It’s a good time. Also check out Chocolate World at the park and buy the kid some candy. The store carries experimental stuff they don’t distribute elsewhere and everything they carry is fresh off the factory line. The Twizzlers are  insane—totally different than the dried hard sticks you get at a movie theater. Same for any of the chocolate—even a basic Hershey bar is orders of magnitude better as it hasn’t been sitting in some warehouse for two years.

A two minute drive from the park is Troegs brewery. Great beer, incredible brewpub with tons of indoor and outdoor seating and amazing food. Very kid friendly place even though it’s a brewpub—the tour is cool too, but reserve that ahead if you go. For a breakfast joint, the Hershey Pantry rocks but see about a reservation if they do them as there can be a wait. 

Hit me up if you have any other questions or want other recommendations in the area. I grew up around there.

And shame about the no fishing. The Susquehanna has some of the best d*** smallmouth fishing in the US. Used to fish a lot of tournaments on the river—certain times of year it would take a five fish limit of 23-25 pounds to sniff a check. Good times.

Edited by MainelySmallies

8 mins ago, MainelySmallies said:

A two minute drive from the park is Troegs brewery. Great beer,

I'd skip both parks and just go there. :D 

We use to have our company picnics at hershey park. Was always a fun time for my son and his cousin. 

Haven't been to DW in over 50 years, so no insight into that.

went there 10 years ago. white trash and drunks. carny atmosphere with the games. rides were good. stayed over for 2 nights. had to move our room the first ten minutes we were in it. adult and young trash running the hallways and pot smoke coming from another room, and food and dinning sucked. i am no prude, but it was other level disappointing. 

hopefully for you it has changed, but i don't think it has. Cabela's on the way home was the best part of the trip.

Just now, MikeMc said:

I'd skip both parks and just go there. :D 

We use to have our company picnics at hershey park. Was always a fun time for my son and his cousin. 

Lol, for sure. Troegs is great. Dog sat for the owner’s family a few times too in college. Nice people. Free beer.

As part of my job at the park I manned the phones for customer issues or questions in the park. “Where’s the booze” was a call I got everyday. Also, weirdly, people always wanted to know how many trees were in the park and how many lights were on the Ferris wheel. Always just made up an answer.

Also, apparently, like forty years ago the park had fried pickles on a stick. Haven’t had them for decades but invariably all the old timers remember as I’d constantly get calls about the missing pickle stand.

6 mins ago, Nite_Bite_00 said:

went there 10 years ago. white trash and drunks. carny atmosphere with the games. rides were good. stayed over for 2 nights. had to move our room the first ten minutes we were in it. adult and young trash running the hallways and pot smoke coming from another room, and food and dinning sucked. i am no prude, but it was other level disappointing. 

hopefully for you it has changed, but i don't think it has. Cabela's on the way home was the best part of the trip.

“White trash and drunks” is the vibe in the park depending on where you go, the season, and the time of day. Hershey itself (the town) has gotten a lot more yuppy in the last ten years though. Yoga studios and fancy coffee spots, etc. For the park, mid day is the better bet for a family atmosphere. In the evening all the local riff raff get off work and want to get loaded and win their girl a giant stuffed animal. 

Btw, if the OP is staying in Lancaster don’t forget to check it out as well. Awesome city that gets cooler every year. Great food. 

4 mins ago, MikeMc said:

That's great! :laugh: 

Yeah, every single day I got that question multiple times a day. 

“12,376 trees.”

“That sounds like a lot!”

“Well yes, we have quite a big campus here at Hershey Park.”

Also had to spend a lot of time explaining to angry customers why the metal rollercoasters had to close during lightening storms.

Depends on the kid, Dutch is usually for the younger kids, Hersey has some nice roller coasters but for the older kids.  You need to figure out where your kid belongs.  Hope that helped.

22 mins ago, MainelySmallies said:

Btw, if the OP is staying in Lancaster don’t forget to check it out as well. Awesome city that gets cooler every year. Great food. 

didn't spend anytime outside of the lodge and park. i have heard the area is really nice and fun. :th:

5 hours ago, MikeMc said:

you were what, about 18 then?