Uncle Stu

Surf perch west coast

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I been skunked a few times lately, but I did get my first two halibut off the beach last week, not quite legal. But today I found the big perch and a couple diaper stripers as well. About 25 fish total in a couple hours on the incoming tide, I did keep my limit and released the babies. On the fly rod! 

IMG_20220811_105619670_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220811_100059973_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220811_120232481_HDR.jpg

Stu,

Nice haul and some good eats.

Used to catch a lot of those on the Oregon and Washington coasts back in the day.

What is your favorite way to prepare them?

SF

Posted (edited)

Nice job!  Curious as to what line(s) you are using.  Did you ever get used to that sinking Sci Anglers UST line?  The UST 6/7 weight (400g) are the ones that are all over the place and cheap.  None of the other weights (8/9 and above) are easily found.  I figure that head plus an intermediate or full sinking running line puts you right in the zone with that rod.  Assume it's the same rod...

Edited by Killiefish

I'm not Uncle Stu, but in my neck of the woods, barred perch have the texture of mashed potatoes when traditionally cooked.  (pan fry, baked, etc.)  :D

Saltwater crappie.  I have yet to find a great recipe for cooking them.  You would think that the flesh would be more firm given the highly turbulent environment they inhabit. One of these days I am going to try to make fish balls, freeze 'em in ziplocs, and use them in soup.  I know people do that with other bony fishes.

On 8/12/2022 at 8:17 AM, Stonefish said:

Stu,

Nice haul and some good eats.

Used to catch a lot of those on the Oregon and Washington coasts back in the day.

What is your favorite way to prepare them?

SF

Our other members are correct that the flesh is soft and they're not great when sauteed or fried or grilled. However, they do taste great if prepared properly. I have two recipes that are popular in our house. One is to coat them in bread crumbs and bake on high heat until the edges are crispy and serve with tartar sauce, like fish sticks. The other recipe is fish cakes using a crab cake recipe--very tasty. I cook the filets first in the microwave for this recipe. To remove all bones, each filet must be cut in half to cut out the pin bones so you get 4 pieces from each fish.

1 hour ago, Killiefish said:

Saltwater crappie.  I have yet to find a great recipe for cooking them.  You would think that the flesh would be more firm given the highly turbulent environment they inhabit. One of these days I am going to try to make fish balls, freeze 'em in ziplocs, and use them in soup.  I know people do that with other bony fishes.

see my comment on recipes, Killie. BTW I'm still loving my Ross Reach, I have two now. :)

4 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Unclestu,

Those Perch look like they have a very firm body. Are they good to eat.

Mike

Mike--they're good. When the surf came up I dusted off the spin rod and got some on the jig heads you gave me. Thanks. 

On 8/13/2022 at 9:30 AM, Killiefish said:

Nice job!  Curious as to what line(s) you are using.  Did you ever get used to that sinking Sci Anglers UST line?  The UST 6/7 weight (400g) are the ones that are all over the place and cheap.  None of the other weights (8/9 and above) are easily found.  I figure that head plus an intermediate or full sinking running line puts you right in the zone with that rod.  Assume it's the same rod...

Yup. I do like that UST head on the Ross Reach, for small flies, but since I often use heavier flies, I've been using SA Skagit heads, 400g intermediate with an 80g sinking tip. Of all the integrated lines I've tried (a few), none cast as well on that rod as the Skagit heads for me. For running line--my favorite is the Airflo intermediate. Right now I'm actually using an Airflo Sonar Titan integrated line in reverse on my reel, so the head is buried (!). I don't have the heart to cut it just yet. 

I have a good memory of camping south of Monterey and getting enough surf perch to make fish tacos for us and some campground neighbors. Tasty in that application, they were.