Richard_the_Aughth

Preparing eel

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I bought a live eel from hmart to make some unagi. The guy there gutted it and chopped off the head for me, as I requested. 40 minutes later I got home and went to remove the backbone. I should've had them do it for me at the store but I didn't consider it. Much to my surprise the damn thing was still lively, squirming around as I tried to separate the flesh from the bone. It was quite unsettling 

About 10-12 years ago we got a few blocks of frozen whole eels for Christmas (grocery store), manager put a whole block in the sink to thaw.  Quite a few were alive after thawing!

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

About 10-12 years ago we got a few blocks of frozen whole eels for Christmas (grocery store), manager put a whole block in the sink to thaw.  Quite a few were alive after thawing!

F*** that man. Anything that’s living after being frozen solid is not going in my mouth. 

I don't mean to derail the thread, but since you mentioned frozen fish coming back to life.

About 40 years ago when cod roamed the canal, a buddy and I went cod fishing on bitter cold Jan morning.  The temp had to be around 5*, but there was no wind.  

We each baited with seaworms and threw out. We both landed a medium size fish within minutes. Unhooked our fish, rebaited and threw out again.  

By now, everything was frozen, including the line. It was frozen from the rod tip, right to the water! 

We both said let's get the hell out of here. Only problem, we can't reel in our lines since they were cased in ice.  It took us about 10 minutes to reel in and clear our lines. Both our cod were also frozen solid. We packed up and went home.

When I got home I placed my frozen fish in the sink, planning on filleting it later.  15 minutes later, I heard something in the sink, and my cod had come back to life and flopping around.

4 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

That’s the hope for star baseball player, Ted Williams. 

When he passed, his head was severed from his body and both were stored separately in steel cans filled with liquid nitrogen in an Arizona cryonics facility.  

9 hours ago, Joe G said:

That’s the hope for star baseball player, Ted Williams. 

When he passed, his head was severed from his body and both were stored separately in steel cans filled with liquid nitrogen in an Arizona cryonics facility.  

Joe,

There's a persistent rumor that rather than using liquid nitrogen, Ted insisted on being preserved in Wild Turkey 101%.  His fav adult sipping beverage.

22 mins ago, bob_G said:

Joe,

There's a persistent rumor that rather than using liquid nitrogen, Ted insisted on being preserved in Wild Turkey 101%.  His fav adult sipping beverage.

Yep, no secret, Teddy Baseball enjoyed life. 

I spent a few hours with Ted and his handler years ago when Ted, John Henry and Ted's handler stayed in town at the Copley Plaza.  

17 hours ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

I bought a live eel from hmart to make some unagi. The guy there gutted it and chopped off the head for me, as I requested. 40 minutes later I got home and went to remove the backbone. I should've had them do it for me at the store but I didn't consider it. Much to my surprise the damn thing was still lively, squirming around as I tried to separate the flesh from the bone. It was quite unsettling 

IMHO you’re better off buying the stuff in the Asian market.

Posted (edited)

That's the difference between rigor mortis and genuine death. Things stiffen up and get rigid well before death.

Eel muscle segments will contract on contact with a hot skillet. It's fun to show that to a guest who was squeamish about eating eel in the first place.

Edited by BrianBM

Fun fact about Ted Williams. 

He candidly owned a former reservoir & surrounding woods by my house in CT when I was a kid.  He stocked the lake with trout and held a fishing derby every single year completely anonymous. 

He'd be there as a meet n greet. Sign balls etc.  But only after he died did it come out he footed the entire thing.