albacized

Original power pro opinions

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So I picked up a reel recently and the shop gave me free 30 lb power pro line - years ago, I used to have issues with that line, but heard it's improved (was more so a quality control issue with one spool of line being good and next not so much)...and I'm typically partial to Suffix 832. I'm on the bubble whether I want to keep the free line or dump it and go with what I like. If it was earlier in the season, I'd probably give it a whirl and if it had issues, just dump it later and put on what I like...but it's almost albie season, and the time to experiment is pretty much over for the season....I only took the line because I wasn't expecting the offer and it caught me off guard...or I would've just told the guy never mind with the line

Edited by albacized

It's mediocre line, but I wouldn't remove new line from a reel that's already on there.  Just go fish it.

Probably be fine just watch out for loose line lay by installer. If you have a clear area or out in a boat, pull out half the spool with weight or lure attached and reel in under load making it nice and tight. will most likely be fine. I like 832 as well.

Use it if you have an application. If its not the early counterfeit batches and is good. Why waste perfectly usable line.

I find i use 4 or 5 braids when i need abrasion resistance. 

In my mind, i imagine since its has less weaves for a given diameter. The physical strand is thicker than a 8 10 12 weave as the same diameter.

Hypothetically, for easy math. A 1.0mm line uses 0.45mm strands at 4 weave.  A 8 weave might use 0.25mm. i would think a thicker strand has a better chance of survival against something sharp.

Im probably just overthinking it. Lol

Hate power pro. Can’t stand 4 strand braids. Suffix 832 is the way to go. I’ve had mystery break offs with PP before. I would never buy it. But, that’s the thing. I would never buy it. If I were to get a free spool of it, I would absolutely fish it. The line was free. And it’s probably good. I’ve just had multiple dud spools of PP and PP SSV2 that had weak spots. Inspect it and if it looks good it probably is. If it ends up being bad just dump it and put some 832 on there.

Had nothing but success with PP and SSV2.  I recently fished Berkley fireline and REALLY like it, wish I would have found Fireline years ago.  

I know some people have very strong negative opinions about PP but for me, I have never had any issues with it.  I have fished 20 & 30 lb PP only so I don’t know if people’s negative opinions are based on different weight ratings. I am pretty agnostic when it comes to braid provided it is a brand name.  I fish/have fished PP, Spiderwire Stealth, Spiderwire EZ, 832, Sufix Performance, Yozuri, JBraid 4 & 8, Trilene Braid, FireWire and probably several others I have forgotten. I haven’t found any of them so much better than any others.  FWIW, I caught my PB Striper (49”) on 30 lb PP.  I had the drag almost locked down and the fish emptied the spool on my Torque 5 to the backing (not more than 10 yards of mono). The line held up fine and I still have the same line on the spool 2 years later. 

I've use it for yrs and had a few missteps with it when i first started, but that was do to the learning curve and user error.....which alot of folks wont own up too LOL....but here my opinion when it comes to line/lure/bait and anything else we might use....the most powerful weapon we have is the one we have faith in....yes the line is new, but chit happens when it comes to fishing all the times....that's how the Gods smile down on us LOL....so if you feel SURE about it then go ahead and use it, but if you have any doubt and something happens just when you are hook up to a fish of a life time....you will be a tick off mess for awhile....just saying

Dump it. Time is of essence. Why mess with a cheap line you’re not sure about. I haven’t used PP in years. But that new PP V2 is awesome and it’s all I have on my spinning reels. 

Posted (edited)

Some people can use any type of braid and have no issues no matter the brand.

Edited by ozifish

i prefer original powerpro. feel like it is far more abrasion resistant than the new braids coming out

Been using it since it came out. Never a problem. Its all I buy.