KCoffey

Current Book on Striper conservation, state of the fishery

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I am half way thru David Russell's excellent monumental work "Striper Wars." But the book only goes to 2003 0r 2005. Are there any books that take up more recent Striper conservation, state of the fishery, regs, ect? Also, conservation groups whose sole focus is Striped Bass conservation? Thanks

Posted (edited)

As far as I know, there are no recent books on striped bass conservation.  Conservation books don't sell well, and in these days when most people tend to get their information on-line, publishers aren't likely to print something that won't sell well.

As far as organizations go, I think the most effective group, from the point of view of striped bass conservation, is probably the American Saltwater Guides Associatdion.  Although they're not bass-only, the impoirtance of bass to their membership puts them at the forefront of the striped bass debate.  (DISCLOSURE:  ASGA is one of my clients, and I have known many of their officers and directors long before the organization was formed.)

Strpers Forever claims to be a striped bass-only conservation groups, and in recent times have taken reasonable pro-conservation positions.  However, the organization's focus on ending the commercial fishery, and its advocacy for liberalizing recreational size limits to make it easier for anglers to kill and eat fish, raise questions as to whether the prime focus of the organization is conservation or merely moving quota from the commercial to the recreational sector.  

Coastal Conservation Association's east coast chapters get involved in striped bass conservation.  However, CCA is one of the foundiung members of the Center for Sportfishing Policy, which is closely tied to the recreational fishing and boating industries (5 of its 6 officers and 22 of its 30 directors are or were closely tied to the industry, either at the corporate or trade association level), so it can hedge its positions to assuage its industry allies.  The slant taken by one CCA leader at last spring's Recreational Fishing Summit, which was sponsored by NMFS and the ASMFC, was troubling.  (If there aren't any striped bass, you can fish for blue catfish.  You have to change your expectations and just fish for what's available.)

Edited by CWitek

CWitek,

Self interest motivates so many in the issue. Extremely problematic. Thank you for the long post.

I was a very involved member of Trout Unlimited for many years and was part of a group that got a small dam removed from the Clyde River in northern Vermont which allowed Landlocked salmon from huge lake Memphremagog to spawn.

The fight for Striped Bass seems never ending.  

23 hours ago, KCoffey said:

The fight for Striped Bass seems never ending.  

That;s true of most conservation battles.

You have to fight every day, because someone is always coming up with new challenges.  But the other guy only needs to win once, because once they drain the marsh, or cut the top off the mountain for a coal mine, or channelize what had been a free-flowing stream, it's over, and you can never go back to what it was.

At least in the case of fish, you can usually restore the stock even if you lose the first few rounds.  Which seems to be where we are with striped bass right now.  Rebuilding by 2029 seems to be a real possibility.

2 mins ago, KCoffey said:

CWitek,

Man, I'm 72, I can't wait that long!

I'm not that far behind you

I have made a pain in the A-- of myself talking the changes that need to be made to save the these wonderful fish. I'm really over the hill and won't be running my own boat when stripers may make a come back. 2 weeks and I hit 80!!; Can't believe it.

Keep up the good fight it's worth it and I'll be there.  Catch/ release and making  them a game fish is a good starting point..

Lets write a book. With a whole chapter dedicated to all the States who claim they care about the future of Striped Bass without adequate officers to enforce and police the laws. Lets talk about that.  

The corruption that David Russell detailed in "Striper Wars" was so cynical and pervasive, it was hard to read without getting depressed at the depravity of people. The politicians, and I include the heads of state fisheries programs, were completely ready to let the Striped Bass disappear if enough bucks would be made.