bob_G

Major sewerage situation in Provincetown

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

The sewerage kerfuffle in PTown must be of concern if it made the morning news.  According to the news, it was brought on by yesterday's torrential rain.

2 mins ago, z-man said:

We haven’t had a good sewage discussion in a couple months here. 

My sentiments exactly. :naughty:

Was there an actual spill or just a pump failure? It seems like we need more redundancy and backups for a lot of our systems. 

This latest P Town sewage kerfuffle, while inconvenient, appears not to be as bad as the one back in 2009.  

Back then it was reported raw sewage was flowing down Commercial Street as the result of a break in the sewage line.

5 mins ago, z-man said:

Was there an actual spill or just a pump failure? 

An electric malfunction caused by heavy rains affected the vacuum sewerage system which services downtown.  

Other sections of P Town not on the vacuum system were not affected. 

2 mins ago, Joe G said:

An electric malfunction caused by heavy rains affected the vacuum sewerage system which services downtown.  

Other sections of P Town not on the vacuum system were not affected. 

Yes. I read that. But what does that mean? I see nothing about any spills, just telling people not to flush much. 

4 mins ago, z-man said:

Yes. I read that. But what does that mean? I see nothing about any spills, just telling people not to flush much. 

Correct.  No spills, but there is a risk of sewage backups in businesses and residences  because the vacuum sewage system is inoperative.  

26 mins ago, Joe G said:

Correct.  No spills, but there is a risk of sewage backups in businesses and residences  because the vacuum sewage system is inoperative.  

The only thing worse than having your own crap come back up the toilet is having someone else's crap come back up too.

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

My sentiments exactly. :naughty:

I drove down Lake Ave on Monday & Wednesday night. Still smells like sewage at that pump station.