stateguy

Old vs New Lures Performance

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Has the lures built in say in the 70s and 80s change on how the lures built today with the same characteristics on how they perform

i realize there were a lot of wooden lures back then and they can get water logged and that will effect performance. is there anything else that maybe they have done 

Metal lipped rapalas vs plastic lipped rapalas.  Metal lipped ones needed to be tuned. Plastic lipped ones I've used run true and stay true.

Newer lures definitely perform better. However, they won’t last long. This is all marketing $ now.

Most all lures vary even mass produced during the same time and from the same box of a dozen

Gibbs has been around a while and all plugs still made out of wood, the older ones swim better than the newer ones in my opinion

It just comes down to density and weather resistance at the end of the day.

On 8/11/2022 at 10:00 AM, stateguy said:

Has the lures built in say in the 70s and 80s change on how the lures built today with the same characteristics on how they perform

i realize there were a lot of wooden lures back then and they can get water logged and that will effect performance. is there anything else that maybe they have done 

Taken the actual knowledge of knowing/learning how to use wood properly.

H⚔️H

14 hours ago, monkeycheng said:

Newer lures definitely perform better. However, they won’t last long. This is all marketing $ now.

Maybe, maybe not... I have husky jerks from rapala that are beat to sh*t after many catches of lake trout, big browns, stripers, muskies, and walleyes. Just make sure to upgrade the split rings and the hooks and it will last until you lose it. Of course that's just one kind of plug... I'm sure other lure companies could have cheaped out on materials... but no plug I've bought has broken due to too much use.

14 hours ago, BrianBM said:

A great topic to revisit in the winter.

Yes agreed

The question to start with is too general. 

Custom or mass produced 

Guys are talking

plastic and that's a separate thing. 

Posted (edited)

A old timer plug builder buddy once told me his best metal lipped lures came from disgarded bannister spindles. Probably a density issue of the wood. His favorite source of metal for lips was Oldsmobile rocker panel trim. Thru wire came from wire used for binding bundles of local newspapers. 

Edited by XBMX

7 hours ago, XBMX said:

A old timer plug builder buddy once told me his best metal lipped lures came from disgusted bannister spindles. Probably a density issue of the wood. His favourite source of metal for lips was Oldsmobile rocker panel trim. Thru wire came from wire used for bundleing bundles of local newspapers. 

Intriguing.