Fais

Penn slammer penn authority
Penn Slammer VS Authority

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Good evening, i was about to grab the new Slammer 10500 until penn released the Authority, still not sure if they Authority worth the price? Is it better? I don't really care about the IPX8 I'm fine with IPX6, which one you guys recommend? 

Edited by Fais

Honestly I wouldn't spring for the slammer even. Get the spinfisher. The slammer iii offers more drag, that's it. The iv has better sealing than the iii but unless you are dunking it won't make a difference at all. The authority has steel gears but Penn does such a bad job with gears now in their spinning reels it won't matter. They'll all be pepper grinders in short order. 

Just get the spinfisher, put what you save money wise into quality line and terminal tackle, that's a way better value than the more expensive reels. And deal with gears that feel like crap in short order. 

I'm guessing you're chunking or shark fishing. A better choice still would be a conventional reel. 

8 mins ago, Sheisty said:

6500 and up spinfishers have all brass gears and metal rotors. Fishing both I haven't felt a real world difference between ht100 and dura drag. Slammers crap out too. 

I take a wait and see approach whenever a new reel enters the market. Nothing is such an improvement that it needs to be purchased immediately, let alone within the year.  If after some time everyone says it's done them good, I'll consider it when the need for a new reel approaches. 

10 hours ago, animalbarrie said:

Do you plan on dunking the reel a lot?

Nope, that's why I'm ok with IPX6

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, RedGreen said:

Honestly I wouldn't spring for the slammer even. Get the spinfisher. The slammer iii offers more drag, that's it. The iv has better sealing than the iii but unless you are dunking it won't make a difference at all. The authority has steel gears but Penn does such a bad job with gears now in their spinning reels it won't matter. They'll all be pepper grinders in short order. 

Just get the spinfisher, put what you save money wise into quality line and terminal tackle, that's a way better value than the more expensive reels. And deal with gears that feel like crap in short order. 

I'm guessing you're chunking or shark fishing. A better choice still would be a conventional reel. 

I love shark fishing, tbh i have the Spinfisher 10500 i cought dozens of sharks, that's why i had the idea if getting a better quality reel that is better than spinfisher. I have  Penn TRQ trolling rod that i use extremely powerful rod, also, my friend suggested me that i should buy Stella 30000 since they got cheaper. 

Edited by Fais

11 hours ago, Fais said:

Nope, that's why I'm ok with IPX6

Go slammer. I love my 4500, never had a hint of a problem.   I would go slammer 4 dx though if I were to do it over.  

Posted (edited)

On 8/11/2022 at 10:05 AM, Sheisty said:

Authority is the chinese penn torque? 

Beefed up Slammer

Stainless gearing,

I believe they added bearing support at the pinion base

Upped the IPX rating to 8

It feels more refined than slammer.  (Still doesn't feel like a gosa / twinpower/ stradic)  But i've only handled abused show reels.

I haven't used any of their premium reels from their new pure owned factory.  But I'm very familiar with the factory that made spinfisher and slammer.  The factory that made the slammer 3 and spinfisher vi from a few years back does gears good.

Edited by scoobydoo

I have the 2500 size for Slammer IV, DX and authority, they all feel pretty much the same, the authority sealed better from top and the gear is a few mm larger than the slammer gear. the 2500 doesn't have pinion support from base, it actually not touching anything from the base but the larger size 10500 does have the base pinion support unlike the slammer. overall I think the authority is worth the jump in price over the slammer in the larger sizes with the upgrade gear and pinion support and  better sealing without sacrifice in tightness.

IMG_1548.jpeg