Camhabib

Guide repair shop

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Well it was bound to happen but the guide closest to the reel on my new Seage has an ever so slight nick on the insert. It’s directly 90 degrees from the rod, and ever so barely  noticeable or catching the braid if I force it against it.

So (1) should I bother replacing it or just leave it be until it gets some more “patina,” and (2) where to go to get this replaced since I’m not about to practice replacing guides on a brand new and only rod (I’ll pick up a beater for that). Located just outside Boston, happy to travel 2 hours. 

YMMV, but I'd fish it.  It's not a crack, or a flagrant chip.  I doubt it will catch on a cast.  If it was on the bottom of the insert, I may feel differently.  But I think you'll be ok.  Besides, does anyone do guide repair anymore?

3 mins ago, bob_G said:

YMMV, but I'd fish it.  It's not a crack, or a flagrant chip.  I doubt it will catch on a cast.  If it was on the bottom of the insert, I may feel differently.  But I think you'll be ok.  Besides, does anyone do guide repair anymore?

Appreciate the reply. That was my feeling as well but what I was reading online made me a little unsure. 

Out of curiosity though, where would you go to get this kind of work done? Back to St. Croix?

16 mins ago, Camhabib said:

Appreciate the reply. That was my feeling as well but what I was reading online made me a little unsure. 

Out of curiosity though, where would you go to get this kind of work done? Back to St. Croix?

I'd do it myself.  It's not that difficult.

Otherwise, if you want it to look good, wait till the season is over, and send it back.

No one repairs guides to my knowledge but a number of shops will replace them. Most shops send them out to a local guy rather than do it on premises (the exception would be a tiptop guide, which you can often get done while you wait). 

Anything other than a tip guide will require a wait time to get the rod back. Red Top in buzzards bay does them. So does surfland at plum island. Several shops in ri do them. 

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

No one repairs guides to my knowledge but a number of shops will replace them. Most shops send them out to a local guy rather than do it on premises (the exception would be a tiptop guide, which you can often get done while you wait). 

Anything other than a tip guide will require a wait time to get the rod back. Red Top in buzzards bay does them. So does surfland at plum island. Several shops in ri do them. 

Any builders or locals you could recommend to contact directly to get it replaced? Happy to have Red Too do it if they do nice work, though I’ll try contacting St. Croix as well as suggested above. 

4 mins ago, Camhabib said:

Any builders or locals you could recommend to contact directly to get it replaced? Happy to have Red Too do it if they do nice work, though I’ll try contacting St. Croix as well as suggested above. 

Surfland may actually do the guide replacement on premises. Id call to check. Red top sends out the last time i used them, but that was several yrs sgo.

Aquidneck Island Rod Builders in portsmouth ri does guide replacements. At least one tackle shop i know farms work out to them. 

I'm with Bob on this one and I'd fish that. ..at least for the rest of the season. If it makes you feel any better, you can file that scratch down with a small round file or sandpaper. 

It's also fairly simple to put a new guide on but those bigger spinning guides can be pricey and could even be exclusive to a manufacturer. You can practice if you want and just leave out the expoxy (final step). ..or ya, bring it to a shop. Not sure who to suggest but Tomo's in Salem can either suggest or maybe even repair it. I remember seeing some rod build pictures from him when he was on NEKF years ago and he had some nice builds from what I remember. 

Good luck! If you decide to wait to reapair into the off-season, I'd fix it for you for free and usually order blanks and rod build parts in November/December. 

Posted (edited)

Gw customs in wareham could fix that for ya. He’s great and easy to work with logistically. I actually have extra guides from a broken mojo I could mail you. 

Edited by fishtheeast

Really appreciate all the replies so far guys, amazingly helpful and generous group! As this is my only rod at the moment (while I try and figure out what I'd like my next to be), my plan is to fish it for the remainder of the season and then deal with all the resulting repairs after. I'll keep an eye on my line for signs of damage but so far so good.

If that nick is going to impact your line, you'll probably realize it fairly soon.  

It usually manifests itself in the form of a mysterious break off on a cast, or mending your line to remove slack when all of a sudden...gone.  A what happened moment?:shrug:

But I'll bet that nick has been there for some time, and you just found it.

10 mins ago, bob_G said:

But I'll bet that nick has been there for some time, and you just found it.

My guess is you’re right and this falls into the ignorance is bliss category of life. 

Id put a glob of glue on it, wait til it hardens, then sand it smooth.  Do it tonight while watching TV!