Sandflee

Clean out door (revisited)

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

Measures 18x18 any particular sized I should aim for, seems like the sizes are all over the place 

4D299535-92DE-44BD-9BE3-915D384F1EC5.jpeg

Picked up a cast iron 8x8 now… the height of the block is 8” should I cut in at the mortar joints or halve the blocks? 

I did one years ago and just cut the block, never had a problem... Great use for a skill saw and masonry blade...

Sorry, cant help you. But i could crawl in the space behind my boiler and measure mine if you like. Mine is centrally located, and at the lowest point possible/basement.  I really should use that access door this fall and clean before starting the fires.

I picked up an 8” x 8” the inside of that masonry block is 9x9 

now my next question  (block) is 8” from mortar count to mortar joint, ahould I cut along the joint “A”(essentially cut 1 block)  or half in 2 blocks “B”

0A23FE42-2F11-4F65-94A4-AC4EC135CFEE.jpeg

18F2D810-7D3A-4E35-B3DA-96925DEF2BAB.jpeg

21 hours ago, Gotcow? said:

You want it at the lowest point in the flue.

Yes, don’t know if concrete is in the bottom section, need to stick it from the top and see. Also has to be 18” above grade I think 

You could measure from the window over and down and transpose the measurements outside. You could also drill a locator hole from the inside out if you have a long masonry bit.

19 mins ago, cheech said:

You could measure from the window over and down and transpose the measurements outside. You could also drill a locator hole from the inside out if you have a long masonry bit.

Flue from wood stove where it enters chimney is about 4ft above that box I drew, I was gonna go on roof with a long pole and see if there is a floor below the flue then cut in accordingly?

Is this a shared chimney? The stove and it’s horizontal flue should catch the majority of the ash. The stuff that drops when you clean the chimney will fall to the lowest point.The upper chimney could use some repointing and flashing work.

On 8/15/2022 at 6:59 AM, cheech said:

Is this a shared chimney? The stove and it’s horizontal flue should catch the majority of the ash. The stuff that drops when you clean the chimney will fall to the lowest point.The upper chimney could use some repointing and flashing work.

Not shared just for wood stove, anything I sweep from up top falls below the flue pipe is just like access to clean that out 

Posted (edited)

Stuck it from the cap with a pointed 1x2

top of blue tape is where it bottoms out (about 36”) below where horizontal flue enters chimney) 

guess I’ll cut in a few inches above that?

D4311739-B624-4F1C-95AA-F587C655BAD8.jpeg

Edited by Sandflee

Appears he had a SS extension in the real estate pics, when we bought the house that was gone, any source to go back to that to improve draft it’s a 9x9 clay insert is it just a square to round conversion? Currently it ends at the clay now

575AB811-17A0-4564-AE4B-EA21B4A210CB.png

The SS extension may have been added to utilize the rain cap over the flue.