GoneCoastal

Abu 5600 tuning

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Hey Guys, was looking for a little guidance on building a tuned up abu 5600 with the level wind. I have only used ct reels in the past. I was thinking new bearings and the whole ball bearing level line kit with one in the clog as well. Maybe a ceramic pawl and hd line guide. I will start with mono and eventually move to 30lb braid if it’s tame enough. Anything I’m missing ? I was thinking 6:3:1 gears too. I also wanted the thumb bar release as well. Are mags a good idea ? I plan to build this on a parabolic rod for lighter tackle fishing. Bass and small striper ect. Let me know if I’m missing anything or if I’m way off. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would connect with Matt at ReelKustomReels - he's built these type of reels before and has made them very fast.  You can find him on facebook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you aren't missing anything. IMO avoid mags.brake blocks will serve you well. I did have one of these a while back and had problems with rust in the level wind bearings. might have been my fault, but at the time I thought it was a design flaw. Been thinking about trying it again. there is a pretty nice one over on the buy/sell/trade page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the smaller 4600C4 AL Mag Trax reel and love it!

Insane how far you can cast this little thing with super light braid on it!

Has the same magnet array as the Mag Elites, thumb bar, l/w and bearings!

I’m sure if you wanted to go nuts and add some more bearings to this configuration, but cleaned up well, with some decent lubed, this little thing is a monster already!

You grab these on the big auction site for about 100 bucks!

I do believe I saw a C5 Mag Trax there as well!

 

EA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 8/10/2022 at 3:00 PM, GoneCoastal said:

Hey Guys, was looking for a little guidance on building a tuned up abu 5600 with the level wind. I have only used ct reels in the past. I was thinking new bearings and the whole ball bearing level line kit with one in the  cog as well. Maybe a ceramic pawl and hd line guide. I will start with mono and eventually move to 30lb braid if it’s tame enough. Anything I’m missing ? I was thinking 6:3:1 gears too. I also wanted the thumb bar release as well. Are mags a good idea ? I plan to build this on a parabolic rod for lighter tackle fishing. Bass and small striper ect. Let me know if I’m missing anything or if I’m way off. Thanks 

Do you have the reel already? 

Or are you building one or buying one. 

I have one that I use for freshwater. 

30 pound braid on it.

I don't have it on a parabolic rod though. 

Keep us posted....

Edited by R.R. Bridge Fisher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have built/rebuilt a ton of Abus in my time - haven't done one in a while. If I remember correctly the thumb release requires a different end plate to the push button. Double bearing level wind is nice so is a bearing idler wheel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Do you have the reel already? 

Or are you building one or buying one. 

I have one that I use for freshwater. 

30 pound braid on it.

I don't have it on a parabolic rod though. 

Keep us posted....

I haven’t bought one yet. Still in the research and development stages. I plan to buy a usable reel and tune it up with aftermarket parts. I’m looking into manufacturers and what is offered. There are some cool parts out there. Probably going to put the wheels in motion after hunting season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took the level wind of the 5600 added one bead put it on a 7 ft shimano  and it casts as accurate as you need with good distance … could use a mono mag ..if you don’t like mono mags or arent familiar with them you will not agree … I know I know .. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Surf bomber said:

Took the level wind of the 5600 added one bead put it on a 7 ft shimano  and it casts as accurate as you need with good distance … could use a mono mag ..if you don’t like mono mags or arent familiar with them you will not agree … I know I know .. 

What is a mono mag? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An adjustable magnet that when it’s closest to a metal spool slows it down and prevents backlash … loosen it up and the spool spins with less resistance … pimp my reel on u tube  has some videos and surf pro shop in Maryland sells the parts … the magnets can be purchased for domed  or flat sided side plates … the mag is adjustable  to the conditions your fishing where as a bead on the centrifugal is not…there is a penn with a  mag out of the factory but I never used one… I do have a  diawa mag 7 ht which has the mag from the factory but I don’t know where you can buy it … once you get into mono mags with the correct pole a legitimate hatteras cast of 150 yards is absolutely possible …and that would be measured on a field with a range finder or against the yard markers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

With a levelwind, shock leader not an option, 30 lb. Test… sounds like you won’t be casting more than 3oz. In which case I’ve found these reels to be plenty fast out of the box. Instead of bearings, I’d focus on finding a braking option that’s more precise and consistent than the spool tensioner.

 

Monomags are really for adjusting mid-flight when casting heavy set rigs on long rods, and tournament casting (5+ second flight times). Go with an incrementally-adjusted array instead.

Edited by Matt T.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not an easy task to get distance from a level wind reel, this is why you won't find them on the casting court.  You can speed things up a bit by using hybrid spool bearings and add a bearing to the level wind side plate large cog, but none of this will add serious distance.  And as already mentioned, forget using a knotted shock leader, it'll stick in the level wind line guide.  I also never liked the 56xx, 66xx thumb bar reels, prefer the 55xx, 65xx side free spool.  

 

I use a 5501 (lefty) with hybrid bearings on a 1-4oz 10' stick, loaded with Sufix Tritanium Plus 14# for spoons 'n' jigs.  STP is a bit larger diameter as compared to same weight Sakuma, but it's also a tad more durable.  I prefer a left LW reel for faster casting (no need to switch hands) but without a LW (bait instead of lures) it's gotta be a righty reel.  I usually mono mag Abu reels after pulling off the LW, but not those I want to use with a LW.  Depending on the lure weight, and with little to no wind facing wind, I can make 70 yards without too much effort and a modified Hatteras cast.  For double that distance, I gotta go with a well tuned non-LW reel like an Omoto Chief or an Abu that's been hot rodded with a Rocket Reels frame, mono mag, hybrid bearings.

 

In the short and long run, it's all personal, whatever works "best" for each of us ... and that's all good, too.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, BeachBob said:

It is not an easy task to get distance from a level wind reel, this is why you won't find them on the casting court.  You can speed things up a bit by using hybrid spool bearings and add a bearing to the level wind side plate large cog, but none of this will add serious distance.  And as already mentioned, forget using a knotted shock leader, it'll stick in the level wind line guide.  I also never liked the 56xx, 66xx thumb bar reels, prefer the 55xx, 65xx side free spool.  

 

I use a 5501 (lefty) with hybrid bearings on a 1-4oz 10' stick, loaded with Sufix Tritanium Plus 14# for spoons 'n' jigs.  STP is a bit larger diameter as compared to same weight Sakuma, but it's also a tad more durable.  I prefer a left LW reel for faster casting (no need to switch hands) but without a LW (bait instead of lures) it's gotta be a righty reel.  I usually mono mag Abu reels after pulling off the LW, but not those I want to use with a LW.  Depending on the lure weight, and with little to no wind facing wind, I can make 70 yards without too much effort and a modified Hatteras cast.  For double that distance, I gotta go with a well tuned non-LW reel like an Omoto Chief or an Abu that's been hot rodded with a Rocket Reels frame, mono mag, hybrid bearings.

 

In the short and long run, it's all personal, whatever works "best" for each of us ... and that's all good, too.

 

 

 

 

 

An Abu that's been hot rodded with a Rocket Reels frame, mono mag, hybrid bearings you say?...:howdy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2022 at 10:56 AM, Surf bomber said:

An adjustable magnet that when it’s closest to a metal spool slows it down and prevents backlash … loosen it up and the spool spins with less resistance … pimp my reel on u tube  has some videos and surf pro shop in Maryland sells the parts … the magnets can be purchased for domed  or flat sided side plates … the mag is adjustable  to the conditions your fishing where as a bead on the centrifugal is not…there is a penn with a  mag out of the factory but I never used one… I do have a  diawa mag 7 ht which has the mag from the factory but I don’t know where you can buy it … once you get into mono mags with the correct pole a legitimate hatteras cast of 150 yards is absolutely possible …and that would be measured on a field with a range finder or against the yard markers 

I got mine from Akios parts department. The fit is a little off, but you can work around it. I don't know it the Omoto mag would be any different.  The Abu adjustable mag would be worth a shot if you can find it on a parts site. 

I agree that it adds distance, especially when the wind is coming at you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d pull the level wind off and go with one bead on the centrifugal brakes with a ten foot rod , 16 lb test and a 50lb top shot of hollow core braid with the main line threaded thru the hollow core . Finnish with a minute film of gorilla glue and let her rip … and then get the mono mag … but that’s only my opinion … 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.