High Quality fishing rod mass production in korean factory

Rate this topic

foxfai

29 mins ago, ged said:

I would prefer hand built in USA :) 

I would also, but no denying the can build a solid product if QC is priority for the distributor. Hardy, Redington, TFO...many well respected fly rods come from Korean factories with good quality control, reliable with loyal followings. I'm too old to buy into this global economy easily but there's no denying it exists !

1 hour ago, ged said:

I would prefer hand built in USA :) 

lol aint happening anymore nowadays.

decrepit designs, materials of yesteryear, unable to accept new tech.

sad to see it slowly go.

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

(*member formerly known as 'ooeric')

1 hour ago, surfrat59 said:

I would also, but no denying the can build a solid product if QC is priority for the distributor. Hardy, Redington, TFO...many well respected fly rods come from Korean factories with good quality control, reliable with loyal followings.

I agree with this for the most part. There's no reason why a set of hands in the USA (likely foreign hands no less) is less skilled than a pair of hands elsewhere. The issue comes in that companies often move production overseas in a "cost saving" measure, which is usually followed shortly by an intentional decrease in quality target, again for "cost saving." More important than the country of origin is the QC level set by the company, which is why it's more important to buy from a good company than a good country.

48 mins ago, Camhabib said:

I agree with this for the most part. There's no reason why a set of hands in the USA (likely foreign hands no less) is less skilled than a pair of hands elsewhere. The issue comes in that companies often move production overseas in a "cost saving" measure, which is usually followed shortly by an intentional decrease in quality target, again for "cost saving." More important than the country of origin is the QC level set by the company, which is why it's more important to buy from a good company than a good country.

And that's the key, good companies will invest in the QC and we all benefit...still don't like it but that's where it is for the foreseeable future.

On 8/10/2022 at 4:32 PM, Camhabib said:

Beg to differ a bit…

while cheaper labor do provide quite the motivation for big companies but I feel that 

companies are forced to source cheaper due to consumer demand for cheap price

how many purchased the Chinese made Cypress based RCTIC cooler over the USA made YETI Tundra?

can’t say “America” and shop and support China.

but alas, nowadays, factories in China will probably out manufacture many if not most American made products… dare I say, with one hand tied behind their back…

we’ve fed them so much with our support for chairman Mao with our dollars that their facilities are years ahead and runs like a finely tuned machine!

take for example denim.  An American icon!

well, most vintage denim weaving machines are bought and restored to perfection in Japan and Japanese denim are premium!  Oh, Japanese customers will pay for premium made in Japan goods… not Chinese knock offs… and the consumer demand supports the industry.

zippers, another American innovation… Asia does it better

NH used to be the shoe machinery capital of the world!  Now all those factories are dead and Asia does it better…

And it goes on and on and on…

OTOH,

northern Italy has been hand manufacturing quality hiking boots for decades… gets recognized world wide,  consumer appreciates and knows that they get what they pay for… and the legacy continues…

just based on my travels and experience over the past couple of years…

Yellow Eyed Devils
There's no Sense in Nonsense!

8 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

I'd trust Korean building over Chinese.  

That said, at least St. Croix stays on the same continent.

Depends on the product…

from personal experience, China can out-manufacture complex garments (down jackets or anything with a lot of operations) better than anywhere in the world.

Yellow Eyed Devils

Just now, kinghong1970 said:

but alas, nowadays, factories in China will probably out manufacture many if not most American made products… dare I say, with one hand tied behind their back…

Geopolitics and other topics aside, I think this part is the most central to the point I was trying to convey. Quality products can come from any country, as can absolute crap. It’s always sad to see skilled personnel have jobs moved to “mass manufacturing,” especially outside of the community, but that is perhaps a different biscuit for a different cup of tea. 

Just now, Camhabib said:

Geopolitics and other topics aside, I think this part is the most central to the point I was trying to convey. Quality products can come from any country, as can absolute crap. It’s always sad to see skilled personnel have jobs moved to “mass manufacturing,” especially outside of the community, but that is perhaps a different biscuit for a different cup of tea. 

I remember the joyful expression on their faces when my family wanted to manufacture boots in USA… this was Nashua NH, iirc timberlands used to be 100% made there…

the pride when they were presenting their machines…

family owned business… legacy…

I’ve made absolutely amazing down jackets from China… we’re talking hand picked European white goose down and Japanese nanotechnology fabrics… 

I’ve made cheaper goods there too… and at request of our consumers, absolute crap there too!

you’re 1000000% right that a C of O is not an indication of quality.

We, the American consumers, are somewhat hypocritical imo… 

Yellow Eyed Devils

5 mins ago, kinghong1970 said:

Depends on the product…

from personal experience, China can out-manufacture complex garments (down jackets or anything with a lot of operations) better than anywhere in the world.

It's easy for China to out manufacture when the child labor law has loop holes at 16, little work place laws, No EPA to stop certain practices and treatment of hazardous waste and by-products. Compared to USA they are 1960's EPA equivalent in 2022. China typically pays monthly and its common to get cash. You pay cash there is no record and workmans compensation and other laws are not enforced. 

How is China's quality control and innovation in new products? A whole new topic can be written about that.