Surfrat815

OG Green supersurf

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I'm about to purchase an original Lamiglas SSU 11 footer that I found for a steal. One piece rod and I believe it's the MH blank. For those of you who own or have fished this particular rod, how does it handle its weight range and what would you say is the sweet spot? Thanks!

I can’t speak for the 11 foot. I do have the  10 foot 1M. It throws 1 3.5 very well. I can send a 3oz sinker and teaser out of sight with authority. Beats fish well with power the pull them off the bottom quickly. Why Lamiglas discontinued them is still beyond me. I wish I would have bought the other models when I had the chance but I was married and poor then. Enjoy it ! 

Have the 1201 M and the 1202 MH. The M throws to 3 oz. with the sweet spot at 2 oz. The MH will throw up to 4 oz with 3 being the sweet spot. The MH hardly loads with 1 oz. takes 2 oz just to get it to flex a little.

I have a friend who has a few of the originals in unused condition, nice rods. My experience with the green blank was with the 

Super Surf All Cork, Detachable Handle SS118MHS AC DH 11'8, it was rated 3 - 6 oz and it threw 6 and a chunk all day.

For pier or bait fishing they were fine but for walking the beach they were heavy by today's standards.

8 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Buy it now, ask questions later.

If it's not what you're looking for, you could always flip it.

Oh so you're that voice I hear in my head

15 hours ago, JimmyBean said:

Oh so you're that voice I hear in my head

Lol.

That's a holy grail stick, i'd buy it in a heart beat.

Like so much of everything in fishing the good stuff never lasts.  Some of the best surf rods ever made.... no bull **** tough an effective.  Nowadays everything is a gimmick... 

Word was that they were prone to breakage. Did see some at the shop I worked at that time.

I still have 3 of them, I did break one 9L on a cast and they sent me a new blank. Used it today, whipped up some nice blues.

Just buy it and use the crap out of it!

C2310B2F-E6E3-4F3D-BD46-41C38BB2CCF3.jpeg

years ago i had a blue and a green…..might be my memory is shot but i seem to remember them as rather heavy and soft (parabolic) in action.

nice builds though and in retrospect i should have kept them