Rough

IS THAT LEGAL?

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

I always thought the notion "private beach" only meant that there is no street access to the beach, not that the beach itself is private. This sign is far from the property, it is perpendicular to the shore, and clearly aims at keeping people away form the beach. Is that legal?

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

lol i would love to see an retired condo board member yelling at one of the lido surf locals.    guys are ruthless at that break.

Far as I know all beaches are public to the high tide line. Tell them to go pound their sand.

I agree, high tide line is the law everywhere I know of.  I am on the west coast of FL and it has been disputed  and ruled in favor of high tide line. Go pound sand and is the right return comment.

If you have an issue look up the Florida  rules and have it on hand..

I assumed you are talking about FL ,?  If not it doesn't make a difference and get local rules.

On the north shore of Long Island signs like that are the rule not the exception.  In my opinion they are meant to scare the average person from traversing the area.  If I heeded the signs threats my north shore numbers would be much different (lower) than they have been over my life.  Lot of fishing with creative access and walking past no trespassing signs.  

I was just wondering if that sign is legally positioned as it is so far from the physical boundaries of that property, close and perpendicular to the surf, and between open access areas to the east and west (the entire area gets extremely crowded during summer months). Definitely meant to scare away the average person. A similar sign on the other side of that property is positioned much farther from the surf and closer to the building. I am not sure it stops anyone, and definitely not surf casters like yours truly. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

17 hours ago, RocksMeEasy said:

On the north shore of Long Island signs like that are the rule not the exception.  In my opinion they are meant to scare the average person from traversing the area.  If I heeded the signs threats my north shore numbers would be much different (lower) than they have been over my life.  Lot of fishing with creative access and walking past no trespassing signs.  

Yea, I've got to get more creative in that regard. Maybe I'm just lazy (or afraid of getting yelled at) but I stick to public/town beaches. If I want to up my success I think I'll have to start parking and walking. I can think of a few North Shore LI areas like this. 

See signs like this all the time. 
To be legit, there should be some type of ordnance or code violation at the bottom of the sign so you know what you are up against,

Signs like these are often not legal and require a permit to be installed in the first place. A fine punishable offense in of it self.

My defense when confronted by an ignorant home owner or association member:

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

Below the high water mark is public domain.

On 8/10/2022 at 4:56 PM, Rough said:

I was just wondering if that sign is legally positioned as it is so far from the physical boundaries of that property, close and perpendicular to the surf, and between open access areas to the east and west (the entire area gets extremely crowded during summer months). Definitely meant to scare away the average person. A similar sign on the other side of that property is positioned much farther from the surf and closer to the building. I am not sure it stops anyone, and definitely not surf casters like yours truly. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I live very local to this area and I believe the sign is posted for the average beach goer. The residents pay big money for their private beach so it isn’t overrun by knuckleheads. I don’t think they would blink an eye if you were fishing.