Lobst3r

Which is the better Daiwa reel?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Hey all,

New to the forum - came across a few posts on Google while searching for a new reel. 

I'm looking to get a new Daiwa reel for my 9ft Ocean Master (Medium 1-3oz), mostly targeting Stripers in the surf (both nearshore bays and ocean). I'm on the fence between the SS2600 and BG4000. I'm very familiar with the SS Tournament series as I've been using various sizes of that model my whole life, from freshwater Bassing (700 & 1300) to Fluking in the bays (1600). I've read really good things about the BG4000, and the price/specs are almost identical minus the extra ball bearings in the BG, just can't seem to get myself to buy it just yet. I really enjoy the feel of the SS series and it would be a nice transition up from the 1600 for a surf rod, but the BG might be a bit smoother and more resistant to salt and the elements. Still, leaning towards the SS2600 due to trust/familiarity. (Note: Already looked into the 4500, it's a bit too big at 22oz for what I'm trying to do. Rather cast lures/jigs than chuck bait). 

Anyone have experience with both of these reels and can help me decide a winner? Appreciate any insight!

The best Daiwa is a Shimano.   Sorry couldn't resist.  Welcome to the forum.  There are some Daiwa fans that will help you out.  I personally prefer Shimano.

17 mins ago, Lobst3r said:

Hey all,

New to the forum - came across a few posts on Google while searching for a new reel. 

I'm looking to get a new Daiwa reel for my 9ft Ocean Master (Medium 1-3oz), mostly targeting Stripers in the surf (both nearshore bays and ocean). I'm on the fence between the SS2600 and BG4000. I'm very familiar with the SS Tournament series as I've been using various sizes of that model my whole life, from freshwater Bassing (700 & 1300) to Fluking in the bays (1600). I've read really good things about the BG4000, and the price/specs are almost identical minus the extra ball bearings in the BG, just can't seem to get myself to buy it just yet. I really enjoy the feel of the SS series and it would be a nice transition up from the 1600 for a surf rod, but the BG might be a bit smoother and more resistant to salt and the elements. Still, leaning towards the SS2600 due to trust/familiarity. (Note: Already looked into the 4500, it's a bit too big at 22oz for what I'm trying to do. Rather cast lures/jigs than chuck bait). 

Anyone have experience with both of these reels and can help me decide a winner? Appreciate any insight!

Cant speak for the BG, but like you, im a big

Whisker fan.

Have both.  I like both.  The bg is smoother. The SS is simpler.  Around home I use the BG.  If I travel the SS rides along.  There's a reason they still make them.  And the SS is a casting machine!

Go with the BG or if you want to step it up a little consider the Saltist MQ.  Some Penn reels to consider would be the Penn Slammer 3 or 4 in the 3500 size or a Battle 3 DX.  I really like Quantum reels, take a look the PT Smoke Inshore in a size 40 or 50.  The smallest Quantum Cabo may work for you as well.  

It must have been around 1988 that I purchased my first SS 2600, never looked back. Never mind the outstanding line lay, THE DRAG IS PERFECTION. But you already know all this, can't understand why you'er even asking.

I have a BG and Battle 3, both are 4000's. The BG is smoother but the line roller has already caused issues, locked up and wore off the chrome plating. They are fishing side by side every weekend and seems the Battle is a little more resilient 

12 hours ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Have both.  I like both.  The bg is smoother. The SS is simpler.  Around home I use the BG.  If I travel the SS rides along.  There's a reason they still make them.  And the SS is a casting machine!

And it's very hard to beat the line lay of the SS2600. 

15 hours ago, Stryper Snyper said:

:agree:

If only they made the SS with an instant anti reverse and a real handle.  Would be more than enough for 90 percent of the light tackle applications.

I have both the 2600 and the BG 4000.  Both are good reels. The 4000BG is really my choice out of the two.  Line pick up is faster on the 4000 and greater drag capacity. Line lay on the 4000 is better, have not needed to put washers in to keep it from uneven spool loading, my 2600 is loading heavy on the bottom of the spool.

The BG3500 ihas the same guts as 4000 with a different spool capacity.  Both are great for 9 foot rods and light plugging/bucktails. Enjoy!

2 hours ago, Stryper Snyper said:

If only they made the SS with an instant anti reverse and a real handle.  Would be more than enough for 90 percent of the light tackle applications.

Exactly. They did come out with a SS2 maybe 20 years ago but I don’t think it stuck.