Canal real estate/rentals

Rate this topic

gray gables

6 hours ago, night owl said:

I remember one night while fishing in the canal, it was so foggy that I couldn't even see the boulders I stood on. Visibility was near zero. Turning on a headlamp made things worse. The light would just reflect off the fog and create a blinding white out condition. I literally crawled around with my hands and feet to find the way to the service road. It was amazing how foggy it was. I couldn't imagine being on a boat that night. And then..... I heard a massive barge coming through the canal. I'm like... No friggin way! I pity anyone out at sea tonight.

Obviously being electronically guided, it made it's way through the canal. I couldn't see it but I heard it and I felt it's rumble on the ground as it approached. And then.... the fog horn sounded.... It was like a bomb going off. Lol! It was SOOO LOUD!!!! I could feel the vibration of that fog horn all over my body. Seconds after the fog horn blast, I then heard many people yelling & screaming at the top of their lungs and swearing at the barge for all the noise. It was after midnight and I know that anyone sleeping was awakened by that blast. It was so damn funny. Lol. 

I always think of that night when I ponder buying a house on the canal. That's something people living on the canal gotta live with. 

I’ve experienced a fog horn blast like you described, it knocked me right out of my bed. I think the whole cape heard that fog horn blast that night, holy smokes it was loud. 

11 hours ago, gray gables said:

I’ve experienced a fog horn blast like you described, it knocked me right out of my bed. I think the whole cape heard that fog horn blast that night, holy smokes it was loud. 

I've heard ship's fog horns from our old house that was 2 miles from the Canal, as the seagull flies. Fog creates some weird acoustics. I've often heard two guys having a normal toned conversation across the Canal from me. I used to cringe when a fish rolled, when I got her in close. There were times, after I had packed up to leave, that I would stick the butt of my rod in the Canal and splash it around, to see if it brought in the spot jumpers. :laugh: 

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

On 8/11/2022 at 10:10 AM, Camhabib said:

Wait until people realize that there's no one to work the restaurants, stores, and beaches since they drove up the cost of housing so much that no one can afford to live AND work on cape. It's happened in several other vacation towns around the world that I know of and the results are largely rather ugly.

Not as ugly as living in boston

On 8/15/2022 at 6:08 AM, gray gables said:

It's fun trying to sleep for watch two decks below the horn

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever~Jacques Yves Cousteau

12 hours ago, Dave588 said:

That level of everyone on zoom really changed those office requirements. Maybe permanently.

Yep.  There's been a noticeable change downtown during the noon office worker lunch hour.   Globe had an interesting article on this.

Pre pandemic the lunch eateries were busy with office workers Monday thru Friday. 

Now, Mondays and Fridays are very slow.  Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are the busy days.