541Wiant

A long winded question

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I will be visiting the Cape September (Chatham) 16-19. Unfortunately I will be there for my Aunt's funeral on the 17th. 

My first question is where to find starfish? when we were kids my aunt would take us to the beach to find starfish and and sand dollars ext. and I wanted to share that with my girlfriend and relive some of those memories. 

Second, I will most likely be asked to take my father fishing.  What's likely to be running? Fluke, blues, macks? I will be driving up from long island to meet them so I will have my surf fishing stuff. 

Also any activities that you think could take our minds off of things would be greatly appreciated. I haven't been since I was 12 so I'm sure things have changed in the Chatham area. 

Regards, Ben 

4 mins ago, 541Wiant said:

I will be visiting the Cape September (Chatham) 16-19. Unfortunately I will be there for my Aunt's funeral on the 17th. 

My first question is where to find starfish? when we were kids my aunt would take us to the beach to find starfish and and sand dollars ext. and I wanted to share that with my girlfriend and relive some of those memories. 

Second, I will most likely be asked to take my father fishing.  What's likely to be running? Fluke, blues, macks? I will be driving up from long island to meet them so I will have my surf fishing stuff. 

Also any activities that you think could take our minds off of things would be greatly appreciated. I haven't been since I was 12 so I'm sure things have changed in the Chatham area. 

Regards, Ben 

Sorry about your Aunt.  If you are going to fish I would drive to Nauset Beach in Orleans and fish the surf at dusk or first light.  Been some nice stripers on SP Minnows and Chunk bait. 

As far as the starfish and sandollars that ship may have sailed.  I would say maybe Hardings beach or somewhere in the sounds near there at low tide would be your best bet.

As far as fun things to do, they just built a new view platform at the chatham fish pier where you can watch the boats unload and see the resident seals.

Mac's Chatham Fish and Lobster is a great place to get casual delicious seafood.

Seems to me I remember seeing star fish in the canal. I don't go very often so I might be mistaken. Either way, if you search around the rocks at low tide, you should find some.

These will be alive so if you plan to keep them, you'll need a way to kill and dry them before you drive home. Otherwise, it'll be a stinky ride.

Harding's Beach sounds familiar! Also as far as parking goes are there any permits required? Should I try and get a town sticker from family? 

I think there is a daily fee option as well but can't hurt to have a sticker.  Also go to the corner store for the best breakfast burritos and lunch burritos around

I dunno where youre staying but Larrys PX used to be another good breakfast option with some local colorful characters thrown in. Havent been there in years.

Brax landing in hrwhich is a great dinner or lunch spot … fishing you could try stage harbor at high tide or dusk or dawn . I use to catch some real nice bass and fluke in there from shore