fishinambition

Property Tax Thread

Rate this topic

153 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, pakalolo said:

Have you never broke 14 lbs for weakfish? 

My first and only weakfish was close to 16#.   Couldn’t believe it, lol 

On 8/10/2022 at 11:52 AM, fishinambition said:

Here's a real pro tip. Even if you believe you're being equitably taxed, pull your Property Record Card. It has all the physical characteristics, size, room count etc. You may be surprised what's recorded for your house, especially if they've never been inside. 

How does someone pull their property record card?  I just got my 2023 assessment and it jumped almost $144k from 2022!

2 mins ago, bass-o-matic said:

How does someone pull their property record card?  I just got my 2023 assessment and it jumped almost $144k from 2022!

Your municipal assessor should have it. They'll usually just give you a copy. The dbag offices will make you fill out a foi form and wait 48 hours then charge you a dime for the paper. Call the clerk and ask them, they always know. 

13 mins ago, bass-o-matic said:

Many municipalities have it online now.

Our county has Dutchess County Parcel Access online. 

Thanks, I need to look into filing an appeal.  Our assessment along with our taxes has been going up every year.

We get clobbered with assessment increases every year.  We look at similar houses and comps but there is some “super secret proprietary” formula by some third party software company that decides our assessment increase.  I think we’re up 40% over the past 6 years while similar houses, on our block barely move.  We’ve grieved several times and had our assessment reduced  but it’s an issue every year 

1 hour ago, blastwater said:

We get clobbered with assessment increases every year.  We look at similar houses and comps but there is some “super secret proprietary” formula by some third party software company that decides our assessment increase.  I think we’re up 40% over the past 6 years while similar houses, on our block barely move.  We’ve grieved several times and had our assessment reduced  but it’s an issue every year 

I’m in the same boat. Grieve it, they knock it down minutely, following year it’s back up. Recent home sales in my development will hinder any future grievances for a while. 

Posted (edited)

On 8/9/2022 at 1:32 PM, Eagles Dare said:

Is that NH or ME?

NH is already at least twice what neighboring states are. I guess if you live to be 100 the lock might get you closer.  :D

On 8/9/2022 at 1:23 PM, iphish said:

At age 65 I can lock in my property tax, not the percent but the actual amount for the remainder of my life in my state. It has just passed into law....

Isn't Maine wonderful, although I'm highly skeptical that this law will be in place for more than the one year it's been funded for.  I'm hoping for at least 2 since the local school is looking to do a $4 million update so our mil rate, 2nd lowest in Maine is bound to go up this or next year.

Even though the law "seems" wonderful it has 2 major holes in it.  First, there's no means test so rich or poor, as long as you're an old fart, meet all the other requirement and file your paperwork every fall, you're locked into the initial tax amount.  You're also protect should taxes go below your locked in amount, like that would ever happen, since the lower amount would become you're locked in tax.

The second, which is incomprehensible to me, is that you take that locked tax number with you with any Homestead abode.  So if you were living in a trailer in "the county" for the 2022 tax year, paying $1,000 and you win the lottery and buy a $5 million waterfront home on Cape Elizabeth in the next tax year with a 2023 tax bill of $10,000, you only pay the town $1,000, and the state is supposed to make up the difference.  That's why I'm thinking this law won't last long...

Edited by Roccus7

8 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

The second, which is incomprehensible to me, is that you take that locked tax number with you with any Homestead abode.  So if you were living in a trailer in "the county" for the 2022 tax year, paying $1,000 and you win the lottery and buy a $5 million waterfront home on Cape Elizabeth in the next tax year with a 2023 tax bill of $10,000, you only pay the town $1,000, and the state is supposed to make up the difference.  That's why I'm thinking this law won't last long...

That does sounds ridiculous...even though it's a rare case someone at 65 years old living in a trailer is gonna be upgrading very much without winning the lottery...it still sounds ridiculous.

Posted (edited)

5 mins ago, TimS said:

That does sounds ridiculous...even though it's a rare case someone at 65 years old living in a trailer is gonna be upgrading very much without winning the lottery...it still sounds ridiculous.

It’s a hypothetical possibility within the current law.  Sure might take something like a lottery win or big inheritance, but with no means test, their trailer tax amount would stick with them for life no matter where in Maine they lived.  

Edited by Roccus7