Property Tax Thread

Rate this topic

fishinambition

Holy sht!!! That’s just wrong!! Bought our house in 2000 for $243,000 with taxes $ 1,850  New assessment is & 950,000  taxes $ 2,600.  Southampton NY school district, God bless the folks with 20-25 million homes for paying the bulk of the bill. 

IN FAVOR OF COMMERCIAL FISHING AND SURFING THE NORTH SIDE

MAY THE RICH GET RICHER!!

FISH ARE FOOD!!

UA MAU KA EA O KA AINA IKA PONO O HAWAII

17 mins ago, pakalolo said:

Holy sht!!! That’s just wrong!! Bought our house in 2000 for $243,000 with taxes $ 1,850  New assessment is & 950,000  taxes $ 2,600.  Southampton NY school district, God bless the folks with 20-25 million homes for paying the bulk of the bill. 

As my father once remarked, "There's no sin in being the cheapest house in the neighborhood!"

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

2 hours ago, pakalolo said:

Yeah you guys got it made out there. 

On 11/17/2022 at 11:02 PM, gellfex said:

Right here http://tax1.co.monmouth.nj.us/cgi-bin/prc6.cgi?&ms_user=monm&passwd=data&srch_type=0&adv=0&out_type=0&district=0906

You guys don't know from tax sh*shows. Jersey City went from 1.6% to 2.1% JUST THIS YEAR!  The runaway school board is controlled by the teachers union and is spending $33k PER STUDENT! That combined with losing a ton of Abbott money and then the city deciding it needed to go crazy has made a perfect storm. People with expensive brownstones are truly freaking out at a $40k tax bill.

How are school boards controlled by the teachers union? Aren't community members and parents generally the board members?

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

9 mins ago, TimS said:

How are school boards controlled by the teachers union? Aren't community members and parents generally the board members?

The union promotes their own slate of candidates. Obviously they must be residents, but not necessarily current or even past parents. A 21 year old kid got elected! The most promising slate of challengers were being backed by a large developer, so they were easy to demonize as 'not being for the children'. All this is aided by poor voter turnout. And it wasn't until a few years ago the BOE election was even on the Nov ballot, they used to have a separate election day and no one but organized Machine voters turned up! 

The district spends $33k per student. The K-8 Charter my kids attended, with a separate union contract, spends less than half that for far better results, and they pay their building mortgage out of it. 

6 mins ago, gellfex said:

The union promotes their own slate of candidates. Obviously they must be residents, but not necessarily current or even past parents. A 21 year old kid got elected! The most promising slate of challengers were being backed by a large developer, so they were easy to demonize as 'not being for the children'. All this is aided by poor voter turnout. And it wasn't until a few years ago the BOE election was even on the Nov ballot, they used to have a separate election day and no one but organized Machine voters turned up! 

The district spends $33k per student. The K-8 Charter my kids attended, with a separate union contract, spends less than half that for far better results, and they pay their building mortgage out of it. 

It's weird but the more 'diverse' a school district is the more it seems to cost to fail those children :dismay: Same thing around here. A gigantic waste of money...it can't just be the school board failing those children and tax payers at the same time. Look at Newark - didn't I just read they are so desperate for teachers in Newark they are going to allow retired teachers to teach starting at like $93K/year - WHILE they collect their pensions. That's desperation.  

People, groups, unions and businesses backing certain candidates is how it's supposed to work, no? If enough people don't like the group that's presently getting their way in the elections, organize and support better candidates. I've only been to local board meetings and didn't notice a pro-union lean to the board decisions. Tax payers should be the ones filling the board if they are charging $33k/kid and still probably have a horrific failure when it comes to the education those kids are getting. 

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

The school budget is up for a vote each year here. If it passes it passes, if it’s defeated it goes up for a nother vote, usually mid February when a lot of folks are on vacation. It’s a fecking SCAM!! 

IN FAVOR OF COMMERCIAL FISHING AND SURFING THE NORTH SIDE

MAY THE RICH GET RICHER!!

FISH ARE FOOD!!

UA MAU KA EA O KA AINA IKA PONO O HAWAII

On 11/18/2022 at 6:06 PM, fishinambition said:

Im posting this in response to the PMs Ive gotten and I think i'll put everything here so anyone can benefit. You can still ask me pm questions if there's anything you dont want everyone knowing.

First thing to do is get property card from the assessor and check it against what you have. You might find 1,000 extra square feet that dont exist, usually not, but sometimes yes. Check the room count, easements (if applicable), age, lot, topo, it's all on there. now identify what style of house you have, there arent many: colonial, ranch, split level, cape. sub styles arent usually a big factor under a few million, but there are exceptions to every rule in this business. 

When picking your sales, start with style. If you have a colonial, dont use ranch house sales etc etc, unless totally necessary which is sometimes the case. Next, focus on building size, curb appeal and lot size. In areas where there's waterfront and those types of influences, location becomes the number one factor. The sales need to have occurred from 10/21 to 10/22 for 2023. 

Sources for sales used to be limited to SR1As and the mls. The mls is the best but as i understand it, zillow works now too. Now check the sales against the assessment you've been given and see if your house is in the same league as those in that price range. It might be, it might be lower and it might be higher. 75% of my inquiries dont make it past this phase unfortunately. It's imperative that you're honest with yourself here otherwise you waste your money and your hopes. Sometimes it's tricky, you may see 4 sales that prove a case and 3 that dont lol. 

Gonna stop for questions at this point so i dont get too far ahead, plus im bong rippin and this takes focus.

Do you mean the Zillow estimated value or the sold values of houses nearby?  Zillow doesn't tell you the year built on most houses.  Since my house was built after Sandy it is fairly new and I assume that is a factor in the value.

"I just do what the voices in my tackle box tell me to do."

1 hour ago, bass-o-matic said:

Do you mean the Zillow estimated value or the sold values of houses nearby?  Zillow doesn't tell you the year built on most houses.  Since my house was built after Sandy it is fairly new and I assume that is a factor in the value.

You want the sold properties, their estimates arent useful. Try this link for house sizes. most towns are recorded here.

NJ Assessment Records Search (monmouth.nj.us)

1 hour ago, bass-o-matic said:

The main factor of being new is that it was sold relatively recently and they can use that as a baseline, the perfect comp, if you will. An old house recently transferred faces the same issue. If a house hasn't been sold in decades and they haven't actually been inside to appraise it, it's all pretty much guesswork. Zillow means nothing as far as the legal process, comps are all that matter. 

3 hours ago, TimS said:

It's weird but the more 'diverse' a school district is the more it seems to cost to fail those children :dismay: Same thing around here. A gigantic waste of money...it can't just be the school board failing those children and tax payers at the same time. Look at Newark - didn't I just read they are so desperate for teachers in Newark they are going to allow retired teachers to teach starting at like $93K/year - WHILE they collect their pensions. That's desperation.  

People, groups, unions and businesses backing certain candidates is how it's supposed to work, no? If enough people don't like the group that's presently getting their way in the elections, organize and support better candidates. I've only been to local board meetings and didn't notice a pro-union lean to the board decisions. Tax payers should be the ones filling the board if they are charging $33k/kid and still probably have a horrific failure when it comes to the education those kids are getting. 

Voter apathy is the main problem. Educated homeowners are a minority here, it's like 70% renters, even the affluent renters in the waterfront hi-rises don't give a crap, half of them are H1B contract workers headed back to India soon. AFAIK no one anywhere has solved the problem of educating poor urban kids from dysfunctional families, and it's clear the solution isn't throwing money at it. Even if it was, funding extracurricular activities instead of overpaying teachers would be more effective. That trick of collecting salary & pension at the same time has been rampant among the cops for a long time. It's how the patronage game is played.