LiuPostLax43

Late 1960's Lamiglas Honey 1165

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, surfrat59 said:

1165/1363M were the gold standard in surf rods before graphite, that and a 705Z with 20lb pink Ande caught more big bass than I can remember. IU wouldn't go crazy rewrapping either....maybe change out the mildrum strippers for some old hardaloy Fuji's and just enjoy it. Nothing looked better than a honey Lami...post-3847-0-89314500-1447735682_thumb.jpgpost-3847-0-37137700-1447735640_thumb.jpg

That's a funny looking 705Z. ;) 

TBH, I think they actually fish better as a conventional, cut back to about 10'8" from the butt, with mono. Wrapped spinning with an old school Mildrum or Perfection hoop of a first guide, the blank oscillates a lot during recovery from the cast, creating line slap that loses a little distance, if every yard of the cast matters. 

That was also one of the 11.5 footers that Lami made in S-glass. I fished the SSB 136 3M for a lot of years, and put a lot of fish on the beach and rocks, including my PB bass and PB blue.

Yeah that's no 705 ! They fished great conventional too, Squidder with 20lb Ande and a 30ft wind on leader of 60lb Ande. That's the only pics I could dig up from 30yrs ago...very versatile blank when they were introduced. Haven't heard from Ditch in along time....all I need now is Oznavad. Showing my age here eh...

Gotta admit to a little nostalgia here, on my part, now living abroad in lake territory. Those nights on the south side beaches of MV and LI, throwing plugs into ocean surf. And those massive daytime bluefish blitzes of the 80s and 90s. 

But realistically, I'm at an age where casting one of those beast rods all night would put me in traction. :laugh: 

I'd be lying if I said this hasn't made me any more excited to get this rod back.  I feel like I got tossed the keys to the classic car thats been in the family since new.  It may not have all the fancy new features and technology as a new car, but its just as cool and reliable and it's got a history behind it.  I'm going to pick it up, slap a reel on it and go right to the beach.

27 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Gotta admit to a little nostalgia here, on my part, now living abroad in lake territory. Those nights on the south side beaches of MV and LI, throwing plugs into ocean surf. And those massive daytime bluefish blitzes of the 80s and 90s. 

But realistically, I'm at an age where casting one of those beast rods all night would put me in traction. :laugh: 

Traction would be an understatement if I tried slinging that thru a full tide anymore for me too...! Where's Oz !

On 8/11/2022 at 0:07 AM, surfrat59 said:

Where's Oz !

I have no idea where Oz went. 

On 8/10/2022 at 4:38 PM, Ditch Jigger said:

Tough to throw this for any length of time ,

It's a Fenwick 

20180527_103843.jpg.40ec70b03fb945fbb2af839991663b87.jpg

Posted (edited)

Hey all,

Just an update on my 1165

Finally got my rod back from my rod builder and it came out awesome.  I get the opportunity to spend two days in Montauk the end of this week, so it's madden trip will be on the full moon, just as the fall run is getting going at one of the best striped bass destinations.  I've attached a few photos even though they're not the greatest.  It has a new VS250X2, 30lb white braid.  

20221001_120605.jpg

20221001_120715.jpg

20221001_120958.jpg

Screenshot_20221003-113545_Instagram.jpg

Edited by LiuPostLax43

Posted (edited)

It’s a lot of rod compared to today’s standards and modern materials, but if you are in good health with no physical limitations, you will love it. I had this same treatment done to an old 10’ Fenny LB1206.  It’s actually my favorite jetty/bucktailing stick. 

Edited by D1fishr

@Midnightpass not an original VS or VSX but definitely an upgrade from the Garcia Mitchell 396 that was originally on the rod when it was built.

@D1fishr its definitely a lot of rod, but I also haven't fished anything modern of that length.  At a young 28, I figured it will get me a bunch of years of fishing and mean more than anything I could have bought off the shelf!  Even if it does give me a good workout throwing it around all night.

I would of had a Fugi  reel seat installed and cork tape to trim some weight-nice rebuild -best of luck with the rod--rreelman

Aside from the running guide update that's a classic rebuild, rare to see metallic tiger wraps or full under wraps anymore...enjoy it. Wrapped this one many years ago.post-3847-0-37137700-1447735640_thumb.jpgpost-3847-0-89314500-1447735682_thumb.jpg