LiuPostLax43

Late 1960's Lamiglas Honey 1165

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Looking to see if anyone has experience fishing one of these old honey rods and what they're really capable of.  I've seen they're rated for 4-8oz but looking for real world experience.  I'd be using it to throw my "bigger bag," ie 6.5" spook and popper, 2oz bucktails, some swim eels.  Everything basically ranging from 1.5/2oz to upwards of 4oz or so.  Any input would be greatly appreciated. Below is a photo of the rod.

Trevor

162233~2.jpeg

IIRC, it's the old designation for the SB 136 3M. It will handle what you plan on using--not ideally at the low end, but it will work. 

I always said an 1165/136 3M would be the one rod I'd own, if I could only own one rod.

Would old rods like this benefit from upgrading the guides?  Seems like the old style wire guides would be brutal on line.

14 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

IIRC, it's the old designation for the SB 136 3M. It will handle what you plan on using--not ideally at the low end, but it will work. 

I always said an 1165/136 3M would be the one rod I'd own, if I could only own one rod.

Thats kind of my plan.  I want to keep my number of rods to a minimum.  I have a 9ft for inshore/back bay and then wanted one beach setup.  My dad had this rod from my grandfather.  So im setting it up.

21 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

Mine handles 5 to 8 oz great.  

Good to know I can throw more if need be.

9 mins ago, Skunkoff said:

Would old rods like this benefit from upgrading the guides?  Seems like the old style wire guides would be brutal on line.

I will let you know.  It's currently with a rod builder getting new style guides to accommodate braid, getting rewrapped and refinished.

I fished one for many years until Graphite arrived. Great rod for the time and by far the most popular blank of the period. My opinion is 3 - 3.25 oz. is the sweet spot

7 mins ago, SC said:

I fished one for many years until Graphite arrived. Great rod for the time and by far the most popular blank of the period. My opinion is 3 - 3.25 oz. is the sweet spot

Thats good to hear.  My bigger plugs are right about that weight.  So I'll lose a little with bucktails and such but plug wise I'm right there.

I used one years ago with a Loxor-Crack 300 or a Penn 704-706--mono -Ande was the line- we called them Super Cutters-one of the best rods Lami ever made-use Braid friendly guides and you will be good to go--you can take some inches off the butt if 11 and half is too long--again -great rod--rreelman

A great rod in its day, like others have said it was the go to rod. However it's rod era has come and gone. With few exceptions modern rods and reels weigh less and perform better. If you're going to fish the rod I'd say use it as is and don't invest any money in it. Check the guides for and wear, grooving or broken welds. Upgrade the tiptop to a ceramic one for a few bucks and go fish. Leave it as is, just as generations before you used it.

Investing in an upgrade in my opinion won't make a big difference in performance. For the cost of upgrading the guides you can pick up a used or even new rod that will fit your needs. If I had to use the tackle and clothing I used 60 years ago wouldn't  I be able to fish a fraction of the hours I now put in. You're a lot younger and may enjoy the workout. Whichever way you go enjoy the rod, even if you only fish it on special occasions, it's part of a legacy.

I must have a different blank.  You guys are stating that the sweet spot is 3.5oz.  Mine throws 8 well so it can’t be the same

1165/1363M were the gold standard in surf rods before graphite, that and a 705Z with 20lb pink Ande caught more big bass than I can remember. IU wouldn't go crazy rewrapping either....maybe change out the mildrum strippers for some old hardaloy Fuji's and just enjoy it. Nothing looked better than a honey Lami...post-3847-0-89314500-1447735682_thumb.jpgpost-3847-0-37137700-1447735640_thumb.jpg

You guys are all a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate it.  It's awesome to see how much these rods still get used.  I'm trying to build two more, one other for braid and one to out the original Garcia Mitchell 396 on with pink 20lb mono.  It's great to see they're still fished.

I’ve seen some NOS honey blanks available for ~$100. Probably stupid to spend the money when better options are available but I keep being tempted by the idea of building one for s*** and giggles.

Posted (edited)

53 mins ago, MainelySmallies said:

I’ve seen some NOS honey blanks available for ~$100. Probably stupid to spend the money when better options are available but I keep being tempted by the idea of building one for s*** and giggles.

I would love to get my hands on two.  I want to build two more matching ones for my brother and my dad.  There was an identical rod to the one pictured but it got lost along the way and it would be cool for all three of us to fish them together.

Edited by LiuPostLax43