steve maranto

SeaGuide XQG

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Curious to see if anyone has experience using SeaGuide XQGs on conventional rods.  Looking to put a set on an upcoming 13' heaver build but hoping for some feedback.

The RS ring looks very nice and is slightly thinner than Torzites.  Also the titantium frames feel lighter with a more palatable price tag, especially with the recent price hike on the Fujis.  

Here are some comparison pics for anyone interested. Left to right are the 16s, 20s, and 25s alternating the XQGs first and Torzites second.

20220806_222446.jpg.74ec0638f92136f24ae368baaeb12a1f.jpg

20220806_222639.jpg.d3b4abbcb420b4a149dd0df6f5a35e52.jpg

Used them on spinning and multuplier rods (heavers specifically)

They are very nice guides.

Why no size 12's for a heaver, you running 16;s all the way out?

Posted (edited)

I'm a big fan.  abusing the TiXQHG, XQG and XOG-Ws all RS and wish I ordered more of the high frame. they're the KW/RV hybrid I always wanted from fuji.

Edited by Bait Tailer

16 mins ago, SurffisherMike said:

What do you mean by KW/ RV hybrid, they look like kw guides

I believe reference is to the XQHG series which looks similar to a high frame k guide.  This would give the option of dropping to a 25 or 20 for the stripper on a spinning rod (in 316ss or titanium). You would need a KW30 to get the same height or a substantial step up in price for the RV.

Posted (edited)

Thank you both for sharing. Glad to hear you've had positive experience using them on multiple rods. The blank is backordered so I have lots of time to critique and ponder the design lol.  

One design aspect I am somewhat curious about is the angle of the ring.  I'm wondering if it changes the contact point of the line to the edge of the ring rather tham the middle creating a higher rate of line wear.  It's not that much different than the KWs so probably not an issue, but it's always good to hear from more experienced builders and fishermen. As always, the feedback is greatly appreciated!

ZA, I also have 5 12s as running guides but probably could have gotten away with 10s instead. 

Edited by steve maranto

36 mins ago, SurffisherMike said:

Do you know the guide heights 

2022-08-09.png

Yeah, I was just referencing the high frame height to the RVs. I haven't done any slow motion video comparisons to the RV but they felt good to me and my wallet.  It might have been a fluke but RV 25 torzite insert is the only one I've ever chipped.  Something about the double foot in front (protecting the insert) makes me feel better about them in the rocks. 

62f27d8a4f043_SGTiXQH.png.0351b637c29c3ece843bf5e8b0f026cf.png

They have M heights too in single and double foot for a neat 25H 16H 12M/10M set up

3 hours ago, steve maranto said:

One design aspect I am somewhat curious about is the angle of the ring.  I'm wondering if it changes the contact point of the line to the edge of the ring rather tham the middle creating a higher rate of line wear.  It's not that much different than the KWs so probably not an issue

It is a non issue. Very light whether SS or Ti. Great hard-wearing rings (with Resol / Silicon Nitride) at least.

Posted (edited)

I've started using all seaguide since ZAfisher gave me the nudge to switch from fuji. Maybe they fixed the rusting/discoloration issue with the corrosion control finish, but I've had dozens do the same thing and heard semi recent reports of this still happening so I'm not keen to give fuji another chance yet. Seaguide products haven't rusted on me at all so far. Price and consistency very competitive with fuji.

The fuji KW/RV titanium guides are stronger than the seaguide alternatives though, I must say. 

The XQGH is a gift from God. RV/KR performance and handling in an inexpensive double footed guide. That doesn't exist at all in fujis product line.

Edited by RedGreen

19 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

It is a non issue. Very light whether SS or Ti. Great hard-wearing rings (with Resol / Silicon Nitride) at least.

Good to know, thanks! That was really my only hesitation. Otherwise they appear to be very high quality. Looking forward to starting the build. 

RedGreen, thanks for sharing your experience too.  I also had a bad experience with the CC guides. Makes you wonder why Fuji doesn't just use a better steel, rather than CC process which seems to promote rust around the guide feet. 

Been buying the dark grey BC frames in LC. KW, LKW and KT and the corrosion problem has not reared its ugly head.