albacized

Lunch break outings

17 posts in this topic

So lately, I’ve been having better luck during some lunch break outings in warm low water conditions in freshwater than I have on my saltwater trips...I have an hour lunch break but probably only get a half hour or so to fish. And I’ve been testing a new TFO 3 weight fly rod that I picked up a week and a half ago. So these are my early results

5B71B928-0A8E-4B1E-B59F-F0996B6D6A22.jpeg

24CC01EF-4319-4829-8B57-7F4D3D9CAF62.jpeg

274DAA3A-A17D-429B-81B6-B4E98E9D4504.jpeg

I have a cat which I take on some road trips. It walks with me like a dog and loves fish. On one trip down south, staying at a motel, while walking her so she could do her business, she took off on a hustle. Catching up with her, I saw that she's found a small pond and fish were surface feeding. Sure wished I'd brought some light gear like yours on the trip that day. 

First fish looks like a smallie, third a largemouth, but not sure about the second fish. If I was forced to guess largemouth?

2 hours ago, dannyplug1 said:

First fish looks like a smallie, third a largemouth, but not sure about the second fish. If I was forced to guess largemouth?

You're right on all counts, including the one that was a guess

Posted (edited)

Nice!  I used to do the same!  Still do too. 

On 8/8/2022 at 11:17 PM, Shhh....Now said:

I have a cat which I take on some road trips. It walks with me like a dog and loves fish. On one trip down south, staying at a motel, while walking her so she could do her business, she took off on a hustle. Catching up with her, I saw that she's found a small pond and fish were surface feeding. Sure wished I'd brought some light gear like yours on the trip that day. 

That's pretty cool.   Met a dude in the keys bout 15+years ago with a similar sounding cat.   Followed him better than my dog follows me.  

How do u train it?

Edited by PSegnatelli

I have that TFO signature II in 2wt. I love it for panfish, brookies and small bass. All the lakes around me are overgrown hellholes so the 6ft fly rod is perfect for squeezing in small casts. 

2 hours ago, JimmyBean said:

I have that TFO signature II in 2wt. I love it for panfish, brookies and small bass. All the lakes around me are overgrown hellholes so the 6ft fly rod is perfect for squeezing in small casts. 

Nice - the rod in the pic is the 3 wt version of the same rod. It was recently discontinued and I grabbed it on discount. I started with a three weight last year, but was using a cabelas glass rod, and I was looking for something just a little faster or crisper. So far I like how the new rod feels. 

18 hours ago, albacized said:

Correction - mine's a pro II series,  7 1/2' rod

I own a few TFO products. They make nice stuff at a decent price point. 

Question- what're you throwing this time of year? Most of my box is small topwater offerings since the water around me is so weed-choked. 

Actually, mostly wooly buggers that I'm tying with dumbell eyes on size 4 saltwater hooks, although that bigger bass in the middle pic was on a standard woolly bugger I picked up at Cabelas...definitely some level of sight fishing involved with what I've been doing

On 8/11/2022 at 9:23 AM, PSegnatelli said:

How do u train it?

the biggest part was.. I got lucky. She's clearly part Bengal, a natural bonder and got her as a kitten. The next part was spending the time, "exploring" the yard together, then the abutting fields and woods, often getting down to her level.

One thing I've done with animals (cats, dogs, big birds) which  is contrary to "the rules" is this. I do things To them which they are mentally uncomfortable with. It began with a rescue dog which had been abused; kicked. "They" told me to avoid walking directly toward it.  Screw that, I thought, and began doing exactly that, increasing my speed toward it and always ending with petting. Every animal has its "something", a vulnerability. With big birds, it's their toes and feet. Cats tend to not like being rough housed, manhandled. 

So that's what I did To.. this cat, being careful to never hurt, defining 'play' as rough, but painless. I don't know it this next part was a response to that 'playing' or simply her nature, or a mix. She's never stuck a claw into bare skin, distinguishes between clothes (yes claws) and skin (no claws)
Lays in wait and attacks, jeans on = claws, shorts on = no claws.