Jcallaham

rod info

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

my 75th birthday will be here soon. My birthday gift will be a new rod. I am still physically active, good shoulders,knees, a little overweight, but I move around pretty good. I love the game of distance casting, I realize that at my age I won't be hitting any long distances, but still want to do the best I can.

Recently I moved out my 14' 4to6oz rods they were just more than I wanted to deal with, went shorter,11'6", 11" ,longest is 12'6" . Also went down on weights, 100 grams is my favorite,still going to have 5oz for those rough days fishing, can't see the need for anything heavier. Also into some lighter stuff.

In deciding what to get I was thinking parabolic, I was thinking CTS vapor trail ,13'  couple of different weight options.

then there are some fast action rods that are turning my head.

I would like some thoughts from the members here on the difference between fast action and parablic.

by the way I own 8 reels, a couple of diawa lexas, 3 or 4 abus and 2 omotos. I have 1 long spool spinner but almost never use it.I am terrible with spinners,just can't get the timing right.

thanks for any advise you can give me.

In tournaments, slower-action parabolic rods are better for casters who rely on more body rotation than a big hit at the end. They’re also more manageable for heavier weights when fishing. If you’re more of a big hitter (arm power) at the end of the cast, a faster-action rod will probably get you better distances. A relatively stiffer tip on a rod (more parabolic) is also preferred for spinning reels, though I cannot figure why. This all comes from expert John Holden over in the UK.

4 hours ago, Jcallaham said:

my 75th birthday will be here soon....100 grams is my favorite,

In deciding what to get I was thinking parabolic, I was thinking CTS vapor trail ,13'  couple of different weight options.

then there are some fast action rods that are turning my head.

A 13' Vapour Trail would be nice. The 4-8oz model realistically being a 2-5oz + bait rod.

Vapor Trails:

1-3 is .75-2.25

2-4 is 1-3

3-6 is 1-4 but 4 is pushing it

4-8 is 2-5 or so.

7 hours ago, Matt T. said:

In tournaments, slower-action parabolic rods are better for casters who rely on more body rotation than a big hit at the end. They’re also more manageable for heavier weights when fishing. If you’re more of a big hitter (arm power) at the end of the cast, a faster-action rod will probably get you better distances. A relatively stiffer tip on a rod (more parabolic) is also preferred for spinning reels, though I cannot figure why. This all comes from expert John Holden over in the UK.

definitely no big hitter here. I like the idea of a stiffer tip, seems like it would be more forgiving. The snap back of a faster tip is what causes some day-ending backlashes, at least in my experience.I too don't understand why it would be better for a spinning reel. I see people get away with really bad habits when it comes to spinners.

3 hours ago, Jcallaham said:

A relatively stiffer tip on a rod (more parabolic) is also preferred for spinning reels, though I cannot figure why.

Stiffer tip reduces tip bounce, which, with a fixed spool rod, that, historically at least, used fewer bigger guides.

It helped reduce inexplicable break offs.

Explanation of inexplicable: the line was wrapping around the oscillating tip and jamming up against guides.

Much better solution, esp with braid, is more smaller guides, tip wraps go away as the line can't get left behind as the tip bounces

yesterday I came across a rainshadow 1418F. New blank in original package, long story about how it has been on the shelf for 10 years but I  think  I want it. 

Currently, that blank is listed at 11'9". I didn't measure it but it seemed to be closer to 13',rated at 2 to 6 oz.RX7 graphite

just wondering if 10 years ago it was different than current models. Hoping some of you have had some experience with this blank

Definately 11' 9" - when the blank designer for All Star left over an intellectual property pursuit, he took his designs to work for Rainshadow.  Unfortunately, All star owned the mandrels and their technical/manufacturing drawings, so he had to start over in that respect.  As a result, although, like the All-Stars and Rainshadows of the same length/power designations were both progressive blanks, the Rainshadows just did not feel quite the same.

Progressive blank means it loads starting with the tip, and, if you are a good enough caster to achieve lock-out with a pendulum or OTG cast, the rod beds over well past 90 degrees, deep into the butt just before release.  But unlike a slow action blank, often given the misnomer as a progressive blank, a true progressive blank will recover just as quickly as a tip-flex fast action blank, and once straight, exhibits almost no tip quiver.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Surf bomber said:

What would be considered a better distance casting rod .. akios 435 or a4 from breakaway… ? 

Akios 435: A 3-piece “continental rod”. These are gaining popularity with British fisherman who want big distances without the struggle of casting a fast action, super-stiff surf rod. The action is moderate to moderate-fast.

Italcanna Vector A4: This is more a traditional 2-piece “British beachcaster”, and a super powerful variation at that. The action is fast, and the butt section is like a steel bar. The A4s are typically relegated to casting tournaments and used by some of the strongest, biggest, and most skilled casters. For me, fishing with this would be unpleasant and I doubt I could even handle it in a tournament. For that, I stepped down a notch to the B4… which I still don’t foresee myself ever fishing with.

To summarize, a stiffer, faster-actioned rod will get optimal distance on a tournament field, but a softer, slower-actioned rod will be much more user friendly in most fishing scenarios.

Edited by Matt T.

2 hours ago, Matt T. said:

Akios 435: A 3-piece “continental rod”

Matt, Which of the 4.35m Akios rods are you referring to / have you tried? There are quite a few. some seem more powerful than others, The Airpower seems pretty close to a typical British beach caster, just in 3 sections.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Matt, Which of the 4.35m Akios rods are you referring to / have you tried? There are quite a few. some seem more powerful than others, The Airpower seems pretty close to a typical British beach caster, just in 3 sections.

I was referring more to the “continental” style of rod in general. My understanding is that the whole point of them is easy distance for non-casting-experts. I don’t ever see them used in tournaments. But there are models that can handle heavy weights.

Edited by Matt T.