curran

Mackerel from shore, with lures

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Hi all, this post is a bit of a long shot, but its worth a try.

Next month I will be going to Ireland. While there, I plan on fishing saltwater but I am limited to shore. Target species is going to be mainly mackerel.

I've caught mackerel over here with success, using both sabiki rigs & diamond jigs, but never from shore. 

My setup is a 7'6 Shakespeare spinning/fly rod and I am running 10lb braid and a 14lb mono leader. It casts quite well. I am bringing alot some 1 oz sinkers, some sabiki rigs, diamonds jigs, and some assorted spoons and jigs.

I will be staying on one of the Aran Islands. 

Now for the question, Has anyone fished for mackerel from shore, (Either in the U.S or the EU) and had success.

if so, any advice you can give/lessons learned/things to avoid? I am aware that google exists and I have thoroughly browsed it, but time and time again the best advice is from other people.

Finally, any other good species to go after from shore? I have read that pollock may be available. 

With all that, thank you all for reading. 

Posted (edited)

You're good, I've caught mackerel from shore in both the US (Maine) and Ireland (Sligo).  The best way is a Sabiki with a good casting tin like a Hopkins, Krocodile, Kastmaster, etc.

On the Aran Islands, you may also pick up some small cod, coalfish (pollock relative) and pollock.

In case you can't tell the difference between a coalfish and a pollock...

Pollock and Coalfish Identification Guide

Edited by Roccus7

39 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

You're good, I've caught mackerel from shore in both the US (Maine) and Ireland (Sligo).  The best way is a Sabiki with a good casting tin like a Hopkins, Krocodile, Kastmaster, etc.

On the Aran Islands, you may also pick up some small cod, coalfish (pollock relative) and pollock.

Thank you very much!

The traditional rig for mackerel in Ireland has been the mackerel feathers rig , basically 6 colored teasers and a weight on the end . Some will put on a German Sprat lure instead of weight . It rather crude tackle by most standards. Your diamond jigs and Sabiki will work . Bring some small jerk baits for Pollack ,  shiny bright work best and hopkins shorties too. Imagine you were targeting schoolie bass and you won’t got wrong. The most fish I hooked on my last trip there were on a small improvised teaser which I fashioned from sheeps wool found in the field on way to shore and gorilla glue and size 1 or 1/0 hook fished in front of a small daiwa or yo-zuri minnow style lure . 
lrish mackerel get big , a 2-4lb is not out of the question and pollock can range from 1/2- 10lb . You can probably also target European bass with same tackle. 

2 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Just to add a little confusion to the mix, coal fish are what we call pollock here in the states. What they call pollock is a different but closely related species. You can tell by the white lateral line. Here's a pic of one I caught up in Gloucester, MA...not a great pic and its a small harbor pollock,,,but you can see the white lateral line. 

3 mins ago, albacized said:

Just to add a little confusion to the mix, coal fish are what we call pollock here in the states. What they call pollock is a different but closely related species. You can tell by the white lateral line. Here's a pic of one I caught up in Gloucester, MA...not a great pic and its a small harbor pollock,,,but you can see the white lateral line. 

lol was just thinking man that coalfish looks a lot more like a pollock than the pollock does.

I learned long ago in my travels the reason for having a scientific naming system as each species of fish is called something different in each new region and a lot of those names overlap.

Good luck on the trip. I know nothing of Pollock from the shore (hoping to catch my own from the shore tomorrow in Bar Harbor) but found with mackerel once you catch one then you should cast out again to the same spot immediately while the school is still in the area. It's much less about doing anything to entice them to strike and much more about timing of the cast being in the path of a school. For this reason once you find a spot with success I don't ever see much reason to leave unless a good half hour has gone without getting another.

Also hard disagree on all the people who swap out a weight for the lure at the end of the sabiki. While the sabiki is going to hook up with >95% of the fish you catch, that lure is going to get a few things that may not figure a sabiki fly is a worthwhile target - if you need something heavier than a diamond jib i'd put on a heavy spoon or bucktail instead and kill two birds with one stone.

I get them from time to time from the shore in Long Island. I used shiny metal lures of 2 oz weight (deadly dick, or spoons). All the times it came unexpectedly during a sunny day in superclear water. Until I landed it, I thought I bought a bluefish. I attached photos of my recent catch and the lure I used. it is very affordable lure and available on amazon. 

I use 10 ft Okuma Cedros rod, tsunami Saltx 4000, 20 LB braided line and 30 lb fluorocarbon leader (less than 1.5 - 2 feet). 

spanish.JPG

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 11.06.24 AM.png

Just returned from fishing from the shore in Bar Harbor.

Finally caught a few harbor pollock. Would rig up a sabiki with a heavy spoon or bucktail and they'd always hit the sabiki instead of the big thing.

Would catch more if I did a slower retrieve so it went closer to the bottom, some locations were full of them, others had none. The spots that produced were usually where it was somewhat deep water right next to rocks. 

Occasional Surfcaster, the fish in your photo is a Spanish mackerel, a different fish than the Atlantic or common mackerel caught in Eire.

Watch “Billy Fishing” YouTube channel. He has tons of info relevant to your questions. 

5 hours ago, adam42 said:

Just returned from fishing from the shore in Bar Harbor.

Finally caught a few harbor pollock. Would rig up a sabiki with a heavy spoon or bucktail and they'd always hit the sabiki instead of the big thing.

Would catch more if I did a slower retrieve so it went closer to the bottom, some locations were full of them, others had none. The spots that produced were usually where it was somewhat deep water right next to rocks. 

Any bait on the sabiki?