Blues or stripers from shore this time of year

Rate this topic

dennisl

Any chance catching these on the fly from shore on western LI this time of year? If so, any locations you'd recommend (not specific spots, just general areas, unless of course you'd like to share a specific spot in a DM)? I've gotten skunked in Jamaica Bay the last couple of outings.

There are definitely small blues ( less than 2lbs) that can be shore caught. The bigger fish tend to stay deeper. Search the back areas near the canals and youll see the bunker splashes very close to shore. 

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive. 

19 hours ago, C W Anderson said:

had a few stripers hit topwater in west back bay *. daytime hi tide ( crazy ) i was shocked !

oh new to SOL.com great forum

tight lines

That’s great! I was out yesterday, caught a couple small blues and a Spanish mackerel. A first for me.

Big blues and stripers were blitzing at the end of the jetty I was at but I couldn’t make it out there without cleats. Must’ve gone on for a solid 30 min. A couple blues went fully airborne!

Expectations are funny, they get us to the water, but that's where the benefit ends.  Put in time in areas you can walk an cast, covering water and observing the environment slowly.  Slowing down and fishing methodically is the biggest advantage to a flyrod, you'd be suprised how much more you see when you allow your mind to slow down.  A fly rod forces the angler to sharpen their senses and their ability in a way regular tackle can't.   If you dont see an acre of fish in a froth, it dosnt mean there aren't fish present, go explore....the back bays are prime with a fly.

Edited by DeepBlue85