cityevader

Ever shoot a bullet with a bullet, while still inside the gun?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

.....had a squib once on a rapid fire course....lucky for me I heard the pop and stopped immediately or I might be missin' some fingers today......one of those things.

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, cityevader said:

Had one explode in a different gun once...

20210613_190645.jpg.be6f6894a105931fb752d3ac71d5394b.jpg

This is cause by the round not being fully seated in the chamber. 

Could be carbon build up or a mis-shapened chamber mouth from excessive dry firing.    Firing pin will leave a dent and stop the round from being fully seated.  

Carbon is easy.  Brush brush brush!!  Bronze brush & solvent on the bolt & barrel.  If it's really bad in the chamber, I have a short length of cleaning rod that I chuck in my drill with a 22cal bronze brush.  Spin it slow. Make sure it's all square cause the steel wire in the the center of the brush will scratch or even egg it out if your crazy with it. 

For the burrs & dents on a chamber mouth, TandemKross makes a chamber swage that fits into a screwdriver bit driver.  Threaded end is if you need to go in from the muzzle.  Screws into a cleaning rod. 

Around $20 I think. 

ETA. Went up to $29. 62f254fd26974_Capture_2022-08-09-08-36-21.png.c51e61d6e4f5ed2863d6a63c133ff9d0.png

Edited by PSegnatelli

16 hours ago, Steve_in_PA said:

Did the second round, the one held in the bolt, fire?

I haven't replied yet because embarrassingly, not only did I fail to even look at the rim end whatsoever, but worse is that i cannot find the darn thing.

Pockets, drier lint trap, beneath washing machine agitator, gun kit, cases and boxes etc.

Knowing me, there is a singular place i would have put it...but that was 20yds away in the van. Last i remember it was with the barrel off in the woods.

Son of a motherless goat herder!!!

On 8/9/2022 at 6:45 AM, Steve_in_PA said:

Did the second round, the one held in the bolt, fire?

Looks to me like the extractor tore the case head off a stuck round and the bolt cycled and tried to feed the next...what brand ammo ?

1 hour ago, surfrat59 said:

Looks to me like the extractor tore the case head off a stuck round and the bolt cycled and tried to feed the next...what brand ammo ?

I'm guessing it was the round partially in the chamber that detonated by the bullet being held in the bolt slammed the primer.

This would only happen if the bolt was manually cycled on an unfired round in the chamber.

Which doesn't fit the description in the OP.

It does look as if, for some reason, the extractor tore or slipped off the round in the chamber.

Either after firing or while operating the bolt with the round unfired.

If you've ever watch gun fail videos, there's a ton of ways for things to go sideways.  Makes me knock on wood what I've never had a dangerous failure.  Maybe I've come close.  3 times come to mind.

I've had a hot round stick in the chamber before.  Happened with a 45/70.  300 grain bullet at 2400fps with IMR4227.  Recommended for a Ruger 1, fired in a Marlin 1895SS. 

Another time, I accidentally fired a 25-06 through a 30-06.  That was pretty uneventful.  Sounded like a 22 and no recoil.  

Lastly, accidentally shot a 300 Win Mag from a 300 Weatherby.  I didn't notice anything at the shot, but the case fire formed into a really goofy looking wildcat.  Looked like a 300 Weatherby with barely any neck at all.

Haven't had any kinds of incidences in over 20 years.....knock on wood.

Oh yeah, there was no misfire. Each trigger pull went bang until it poofed smoke sideways.

The casing rim doesn't look torn by the extractor in the pic...it just "missed". 

The pic with the barrel out, the firing pin location is closest to the camera and there is a dent...plus it went "bang" so it clearly fired.

Man...I hope that magic bullet isn't in the quart ziplock bag that is full of spent brass...

It's crazy that so much import is placed upon memory-testimony in a court of law, when memory is just stupid-unreliable.

Found the Magic Bullet, btw.

Sooo...this was "super-slow-fire" concentrated aiming. One trigger pull, one bang. Can't forget that. 

(Semi-auto Savage 64, again)

The butt-rammer did NOT fire after all.

This is odd, because a trigger pull/bang would impart a clear firing pin strike-mark, which it doesn't have.

It absolutely did NOT  "double fire" upon the slide cycling...soooo....

I can't figure it out?

IMG_20220810_180641.jpg.8faeee9ab7371d070af0161910df31b0.jpg

29 mins ago, cityevader said:

It's crazy that so much import is placed upon memory-testimony in a court of law, when memory is just stupid-unreliable.

Found the Magic Bullet, btw.

Sooo...this was "super-slow-fire" concentrated aiming. One trigger pull, one bang. Can't forget that. 

(Semi-auto Savage 64, again)

The butt-rammer did NOT fire after all.

This is odd, because a trigger pull/bang would impart a clear firing pin strike-mark, which it doesn't have.

It absolutely did NOT  "double fire" upon the slide cycling...soooo....

I can't figure it out?

IMG_20220810_180641.jpg.8faeee9ab7371d070af0161910df31b0.jpg

Slam fire from the bolt. Usually this doesnt happen because the round slides into the chamber.  But the brass was sticking out and caused the slamfire perfect storm. 

Hmmm...it's like this yer honor...

•Firstly, this was long, deliberate, concentrated aiming at 100yds with iron sighted .22

•Prior to irregular sideways smoke, every trigger pull successfully fired.

•The final black poof of smoke sideways out the bolt occurred because of a trigger pull. 

•Ejected magazine, noting 3 rounds remaining.

•View of bolt was photographed instantly.

•Never thought to count holes on the target to compare to rounds remaining...target got discarded it in fact due to not being a full 10 round group.

•No firing pin mark tells me that my testimony is incorrect and Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself.

8 hours ago, cityevader said:

Hmmm...it's like this yer honor...

•Firstly, this was long, deliberate, concentrated aiming at 100yds with iron sighted .22

•Prior to irregular sideways smoke, every trigger pull successfully fired.

•The final black poof of smoke sideways out the bolt occurred because of a trigger pull. 

•Ejected magazine, noting 3 rounds remaining.

•View of bolt was photographed instantly.

•Never thought to count holes on the target to compare to rounds remaining...target got discarded it in fact due to not being a full 10 round group.

•No firing pin mark tells me that my testimony is incorrect and Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself.

Ok.   The pressing of the trigger releases the hammer. The hammer hits the firing pin and thr firing pin hits the cartridge. 

In ur case because the bolt was not fully seated, the energy of the hammer hitting the bolt slammed the bolt forward and ignited the primer.  Causing an Out Of Battery (OOB) ignition.  

IIRC this is a newer purchased firearm.  I would contact Savage with the pics and see what they say.  Your trigger/hammer should not be operational with the bolt open.  It could possibly lead to a "runaway gun" where the gun acts like an open bolt machine gun.  Except you can't stop it unless you run out of ammo. 

Here's what i have decided based on comments elsewhere.

...the failure did occur with a trigger pull...A case/rim failure could blow out the rear of the shell, which would cause the bolt to cycle without extracting the spent shell, due to rim damage. The cycling bolt simply ran another (un-fired) round into the shell with no backside...hence no firing pin mark/unfired rear bullet.

It "looks like" there is a ring of brass from the front's rim, around the rear bullet like a collar...here's varying angles:

I posted this here 14 years ago.  .40  Federal.  The whole back of the case blew off dislodging the trigger spring.   Maybe it was a fluke , but I wasn't taking any chances even though 1/2 a box prior to that fired perfectly.

After a little investigation it was found to be from a lot of ammo Federal recalled.   I still have 12 boxes sitting in the basement I will never fire. 

kaboom.jpg

On 9/17/2022 at 0:04 PM, DMacLeod said:

I posted this here 14 years ago.  .40  Federal.  The whole back of the case blew off dislodging the trigger spring.   Maybe it was a fluke , but I wasn't taking any chances even though 1/2 a box prior to that fired perfectly.

After a little investigation it was found to be from a lot of ammo Federal recalled.   I still have 12 boxes sitting in the basement I will never fire. 

kaboom.jpg

What was the reason for the recall?

You could always pull the bullets and reload the cases.