Blurple928

Squid Fishing North Shore

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

Hey All,

Looking to get started into the world of Squid Fishing... Primarily for Fluke Bait along with some tasty appetizers! Does anyone have any recommendations on Rigs and or General Locations on North Shore (not looking for Spot Burns)? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

Any local dock with some light will attract them to gather. People bring lights to a darker spot to attract them and fish them. They are sometime hit or miss certain days. Some days I'll get a few and another I'll get 30-40 in a few hours(same spot same time).

You will have to find public access like a dock, pier, park and check. You will find people at night if it's a popular spots.

I took a ride to the east end the other night around 11. There was one guy, he had a powerful light hanging over the water, and working a flashlight.   

Looked like he knew his stuff.  I watched him for some time, and he never caught a thing.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

I took a ride to the east end the other night around 11. There was one guy, he had a powerful light hanging over the water, and working a flashlight.   

Looked like he knew his stuff.  I watched him for some time, and he never caught a thing.

At the pier or the plant? 

Edited by foxfai

Posted (edited)

1 min ago, foxfai said:

At the pier? 

Yes.

That used to be a great place.  But since they installed those low output lights, the squid really dropped off.

Edited by bob_G

13 mins ago, bob_G said:

Yes.

That used to be a great place.  But since they installed those low output lights, the squid really dropped off.

Ya, agree, the led does squat. I have trouble reading or tying knots at those light conditions.

7 hours ago, Captain Tuttle said:

I'm gonna have to stop in.  Forgot my squid jigs!  

Gonna try with a baited umbrella net.  If I can catch silversides, I can probably catch a squid or two. 

One odd thing I'm noticing here is a lack of bugs!!

I'm sitting outside right now drinking coffee under a porch light.  Saw ONE moth!!  Nothing else!!  Crazy to me.  I get eaten alive at home. 

10 hours ago, foxfai said:

Ya, agree, the led does squat. I have trouble reading or tying knots at those light conditions.

Youre pretty much gonna have to bring your own lights at the canal for squidding.

2 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

I'm gonna have to stop in.  Forgot my squid jigs!  

Gonna try with a baited umbrella net.  If I can catch silversides, I can probably catch a squid or two. 

One odd thing I'm noticing here is a lack of bugs!!

I'm sitting outside right now drinking coffee under a porch light.  Saw ONE moth!!  Nothing else!!  Crazy to me.  I get eaten alive at home. 

I dunno if this is true, but my pcp doctor claims this heat and drought really knocks down the tick population, at least temporarily. He sees far fewer bite cases during heat waves.

8 mins ago, bdowning said:

I dunno if this is true, but my pcp doctor claims this heat and drought really knocks down the tick population, at least temporarily. He sees far fewer bite cases during heat waves.

I am guessing between the drought and the heat, not many can survive (reproduce?) out there including mosquitos. 

I live on a big aquafir so I'm kinda sheltered on how bad the drought is.  

Really eye opening that everything is brown around here and devoid of life.    Lawns look like tinder bundles!

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

Yes, much less ticks right now. I haven't even had a dog tick on me in over 2 weeks.

The drought is really raising hell with the flying insects. That's great for mosquitos, but the innocent bugs are suffering too, and so are the insect eating birds and bats.

It's so bad, some birds have already moved on after hatching their young. Normally they'd stick around another couple weeks.