55555s

"shimano" website legit or scam?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I looked for a thread addressing the legitimacy of the "shimano-usa" website/store.  

Didnt see one. 

Was this thread already done?

Specific experiences beyond the obligatory "if its too good to be true it is".  

I got jacked up on a Woot attempted purchase this summer, though they refunded my money, i'd prefer not to repeat the hassle. 

Tia

Posted (edited)

The "shimano-usa", aka clearance site, is reportedly a scam page that's been around for a while.

I came across it, thought it was too good to be true due to the countdown timers for sale prices, did a little research, and there were several online articles with regards to it being a scam. Fortunately, I did not try it, so I make no guarantees other than that if it appears to be too good to be true, probably is.

Not sure how I stumbled across it, but I don't think it shows up in google searches, which is a clue to start with.

This isn't the "fishshop.shimano" site he refers to.

Edited by JAL

Most of the articles I came across were from the cycling community since the alleged site also advertises high end bike components at deep discounts along with fishing reels. I'm not sure why Shimano has been unsuccessful on having the site taken down? I read one article stating Shimano was familiar with the site, previously issued warnings to consumers, and was trying to remove the site.

Just an FYI...

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Snook_Slayr said:

@wefish138 they sell parts, apparel, bags, shoes and some lures direct

Yes, direct sale.

4 hours ago, Snook_Slayr said:

fishshop.shimano

.com, is a legit Shimano site. 

Edited by Inshore

Posted (edited)

hardly any conglomerate company sells direct to consumers.

there are some, but in this case, youre talking about shimano.

if you dont see a store or webshop option on the official websites (like google shimano. the first offical listing)

Then any website bearing its name is 101% its a scam, fake, or extremely suspicious.

stick with buying local bnt, or the usual known online vendors.

Edited by EricL

On 8/8/2022 at 5:38 PM, EricL said:

hardly any conglomerate company sells direct to consumers.

there are some, but in this case, youre talking about shimano.

if you dont see a store or webshop option on the official websites (like google shimano. the first offical listing)

Then any website bearing its name is 101% its a scam, fake, or extremely suspicious.

stick with buying local bnt, or the usual known online vendors.

“101% a scam” LOLed at one. 

If it’s too good to be true… we’ll, the jdm prices are not too good to be true.

@55555s That’s your best angle for legit deals assuming the USD to JPY conversion stays favorable. You probably already knew this, though. 

4 hours ago, monkeycheng said:

Just check the prices for their products. If they are unbelievable low, they are fake.

I made 3 or 4 purchases in the past 3ish years on that big river site and they were obscenely low prices, all on Penn reels. 

So, I know what you are saying, but there are sometimes blowouts and deals and whatnot out there.    

Just now, Dogfish Between Jetties said:

Shimano rods and reels rarely go on sale.

Lol... I've noticed!