Big Biscuit

Rats!

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I set up three rat traps last night. Checked my critter cams I saw that I definitely got one last night. So I wake up this morning go to the backyard to collect the traps and I'm missing two of them. I check the critter cams again and I see a possum grabbing the rat and the trap and then the video cuts out. Hopefully it gets light enough outside before I go to work that I can scan my neighbors yards to see if my traps are lying around. The video below shows the possum grabbing the rat and the trap.:beatin:

1659943954000_2CAA8EB8BBA911659943954.mp4

Edited by Big Biscuit

Posted (edited)

Screw the traps to a piece of board. Doesn't have to be huge. Just a foot or two. 

Also rats are 10x smarter than you think.  They send out the younger males as scouts.  You'll catch a couple but then it'll stop. 

I have a method that takes a little time but is proven.  Was given to me by a exterminator that specializes in rat control. 

Eta. Leaving for vacation in a bit.  May not respond right away. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

19 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Screw the traps to a piece of board. Doesn't have to be huge. Just a foot or two. 

Also rats are 10x smarter than you think.  They send out the younger males as scouts.  You'll catch a couple but then it'll stop. 

I have a method that takes a little time but is proven.  Was given to me by a exterminator that specializes in rat control. 

Eta. Leaving for vacation in a bit.  May not respond right away. 

I killed 4 this weekend. Thinking of picking up a bb gun and dispatching of them that way. they come out during the day to eat under the birdfeeder.

Posted (edited)

Good video.

Much of a possum's diet consists of carrion, so grabbing the rat is very much in character.  It also explains why a handful of folks in the South, who see possums as potential dinner, try not to shoot them, but instead catch them live and feed them various vegetable scraps, persimmons, etc. for a while to purge the carron taste from the meat before finally butchering the animal.

Edited by CWitek

Posted (edited)

44 mins ago, CWitek said:

Good video.

Much of a possum's diet consists of carrion, so grabbing the rat is very much in character.  It also explains why a handful of folks in the South, who see possums as potential dinner, try not to shoot them, but instead catch them live and feed them various vegetable scraps, persimmons, etc. for a while to purge the carron taste from the meat before finally butchering the animal.

I had two traps disappear do you think the possum took them both? I also have a skunk on video from last night. Is it possible the skunk took the other on? Oh that skunk keeps setting off my have-a-heart trap. It's one of the smaller have-a-hearts for rodents, so he just sticks his head in an licks the peanut butter and birdseed off of the pressure plate. The skunk sets of the trap that way but it's to big to get trapped in there. After it's done eating it just backs out of the trap.:mad: Well I guess it's better than trapping the skunk and having to deal with that hot mess. :skunk:

Edited by Big Biscuit

24 mins ago, Big Biscuit said:

I had two traps disappear do you think the possum took them both? I also have a skunk on video from last night. Is it possible the skunk took the other on? Oh that skunk keeps setting off my have-a-heart trap. It's one of the smaller have-a-hearts for rodents, so he just sticks his head in an licks the peanut butter and birdseed off of the pressure plate. The skunk sets of the trap that way but it's to big to get trapped in there. After it's done eating it just backs out of the trap.:mad: Well I guess it's better than trapping the skunk and having to deal with that hot mess. :skunk:

Could be the possum, could be another possum, could be a raccoon.  Depending on where you are, you might even have a fox or coyote.  I've got a place that I rent out in Greenwich, and I've seen both in the back yard there.,

Skunks in a Havahart aren't that bad.  I've got a 2A (30 inches long, and I think 8x8 opening) that I've had since I was about 10 years old,  Still set it for the occasional rat, but when I was a kid, I used to put peanut butter in just to see what I could catch, and more than enough skunks wandered in.  You just toss a tarp or a sheet over the trap, and around evening, slip a hook made out of bent wire and tied to a cord under the door facing away from you.  Open the door lock from behind the cover of the sheet, lift the door open with the cord, and tie off to a tree, etc., holding the door open.  The skunk will leave in its own good time, filled up on peanut butter, with no one worse for the experience.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Big Biscuit said:

I killed 4 this weekend. Thinking of picking up a bb gun and dispatching of them that way. they come out during the day to eat under the birdfeeder.

You have a much bigger problem than you realize. If your seeing them in daytime figure 10x per rat seen.    

Rats multiply at insane rates.  You can have a momma pregnant nursing and whelping all at once. 

Do u hunt at all?  Weird question I know. 

Have they gotten into your house, garage, shed or other structures?

Edited by PSegnatelli

23 mins ago, CWitek said:

Could be the possum, could be another possum, could be a raccoon.  Depending on where you are, you might even have a fox or coyote.  I've got a place that I rent out in Greenwich, and I've seen both in the back yard there.,

Skunks in a Havahart aren't that bad.  I've got a 2A (30 inches long, and I think 8x8 opening) that I've had since I was about 10 years old,  Still set it for the occasional rat, but when I was a kid, I used to put peanut butter in just to see what I could catch, and more than enough skunks wandered in.  You just toss a tarp or a sheet over the trap, and around evening, slip a hook made out of bent wire and tied to a cord under the door facing away from you.  Open the door lock from behind the cover of the sheet, lift the door open with the cord, and tie off to a tree, etc., holding the door open.  The skunk will leave in its own good time, filled up on peanut butter, with no one worse for the experience.

I got all of the above except for the 'yote. Caught them all on camera.

17 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

You have a much bigger problem than you realize. If your seeing them in daytime figure 10x per rat seen.    

Rats multiply at insane rates.  You can have a momma pregnant nursing and whelping all at once. 

Do u hunt at all?  Weird question I know. 

Have they gotten into your house, garage, shed or other structures?

They aren't nesting anywhere on my property as of now. I think they are under my neighbors shed.
No I do not hunt, nothing against hunting, but I didn't have anyone to teach me when I was younger. I've always wanted to give it a go, but I have no idea of where to start. 

Just now, Big Biscuit said:

I got all of the above except for the 'yote. Caught them all on camera.

They aren't nesting anywhere on my property as of now. I think they are under my neighbors shed.
No I do not hunt, nothing against hunting, but I didn't have anyone to teach me when I was younger. I've always wanted to give it a go, but I have no idea of where to start. 

Just trying to figure out my methods to explain it best. 

My brain is wonky so I have to correlate it with a common theme.    Hunting is the easiest road to travel. 

Posted (edited)

Does your neighbor know?   You'll never eradicate them (rats)without them(neighbors).  You'll just be killing the scouts and not the queens. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

11 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Does your neighbor know?   You'll never eradicate them (rats)without them(neighbors).  You'll just be killing the scouts and not the queens. 

It's a rental unit and I never see the landlord.

I'm dealing with a rat for the first time. I live in a rented apartment in a huge old farm house. Been there 11 years. Had deer mice, house mice, voles, shrews and chipmunk. First ever rat. So far, no evidence they're upstairs.

I see the bastard at 6am when I'm having coffee on the porch. He comes back from foraging well after sun up.

I don't want to tell my landlord because he'll plaster the place with poison. 

I got one of those giant sized mouse-style snap traps. The first night I got one but he dragged the trap to the whole and escaped. Left alot of blood.

After that I didn't get any more but they're still there. Last few days I've had the unset trap just sitting in the burrow entrance. He's gonna have to get used to it. Maybe he'll forget and one day I'll set it.

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

I'm dealing with a rat for the first time. I live in a rented apartment in a huge old farm house. Been there 11 years. Had deer mice, house mice, voles, shrews and chipmunk. First ever rat. So far, no evidence they're upstairs.

I see the bastard at 6am when I'm having coffee on the porch. He comes back from foraging well after sun up.

I don't want to tell my landlord because he'll plaster the place with poison. 

I got one of those giant sized mouse-style snap traps. The first night I got one but he dragged the trap to the whole and escaped. Left alot of blood.

After that I didn't get any more but they're still there. Last few days I've had the unset trap just sitting in the burrow entrance. He's gonna have to get used to it. Maybe he'll forget and one day I'll set it.

I have the tom cat rat traps. I left my first set outside for a week before I set them. I let them get used to seeing them and then I'd start leaving a little dab of peanut buttah on the outside so they'd think free meal when they saw the traps.

Posted (edited)

@Big Biscuit your on the right track with leaving the unset baited traps!  

What worked with me is attack by numbers!  

Rats work similar to how ants work as a colony.   

Rarely is there ONE rat.  Just doesn't happen.  They're a colony animal.   And once that colony is established. Good luck and god speed. 

You need to do recon. Find their pathways, their highways and byways.  They will almost always follow a hard line i/e base of walls, fences, foundations, etc.  Anything that they can leave a scent trail on and will provide them protection.  Look for grease stains. Like someone hit the wall with a paintbrush.  That's the way they leave scent trails.  U can also dust the area with flour or cornstarch and look for tracks.  

They can climb, jump and swim with ease. They can gnaw thru concrete. They can fit thru a hole no bigger than their skull (which is about the width of a dime).  They're omnivores and will cannibalize a dead rat in a trap. 

Here's the fun part. They're SMART As ****!  And they can recognize patterns!  

So back to Ants.  Ants have a queen and a **** ton of workers.  Queen makes baby ants. Workers do everything else.    Same with rats.  Lower class rats are the ones out and about getting food and exploring. They're also the few your trapping.  Only when the worker numbers are deplenished will the queens leave the safety of the nest. 

But they learn.  So you'll get a handfull.  Then a little less. Then a little less.  And you'll think your doing good.  Nope.  Just avoiding the traps!

What was passed to me was this method.  

Put traps on every rat pathway you can ID.  Un set and unbaited.  Leave em for a week.  Then start baiting them, but don't set them.  

When 90% of the bait is taken in a night, set them.  Set them one more night.  Then that's it. Rinse and repeat.  

Also. Bait stations.  It's really the only way to get the queens.  And like the traps. They'll get wise to them quick.  

I had chickens for about 20years. Then about 10years ago we started getting rats.  Never had them, then it was like they appeared over night.    Didn't have any issues for awhile, trapped a few here and there.  Coop was 100yds from the house.   Then a rat found a way into the septic system thru a D-box in the leach field.  Then they made their way thru the septic and into the house.   

Soo much damage.  Walls chewed from the inside out, electric wires chewed. Human and pet food destroyed.   

Took over a year to get rid of them and got rid of the chickens. 

Good luck.  Hope this helps.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

@Big Biscuit your on the right track with leaving the unset baited traps!  

What worked with me is attack by numbers!  

Rats work similar to how ants work as a colony.   

Rarely is there ONE rat.  Just doesn't happen.  They're a colony animal.   And once that colony is established. Good luck and god speed. 

You need to do recon. Find their pathways, their highways and byways.  They will almost always follow a hard line i/e base of walls, fences, foundations, etc.  Anything that they can leave a scent trail on and will provide them protection.  Look for grease stains. Like someone hit the wall with a paintbrush.  That's the way they leave scent trails.  U can also dust the area with flour or cornstarch and look for tracks.  

They can climb, jump and swim with ease. They can gnaw thru concrete. They can fit thru a hole no bigger than their skull (which is about the width of a dime).  They're omnivores and will cannibalize a dead rat in a trap. 

Here's the fun part. They're SMART As ****!  And they can recognize patterns!  

So back to Ants.  Ants have a queen and a **** ton of workers.  Queen makes baby ants. Workers do everything else.    Same with rats.  Lower class rats are the ones out and about getting food and exploring. They're also the few your trapping.  Only when the worker numbers are deplenished will the queens leave the safety of the nest. 

But they learn.  So you'll get a handfull.  Then a little less. Then a little less.  And you'll think your doing good.  Nope.  Just avoiding the traps!

What was passed to me was this method.  

Put traps on every rat pathway you can ID.  Un set and unbaited.  Leave em for a week.  Then start baiting them, but don't set them.  

When 90% of the bait is taken in a night, set them.  Set them one more night.  Then that's it. Rinse and repeat.  

Also. Bait stations.  It's really the only way to get the queens.  And like the traps. They'll get wise to them quick.  

I had chickens for about 20years. Then about 10years ago we started getting rats.  Never had them, then it was like they appeared over night.    Didn't have any issues for awhile, trapped a few here and there.  Coop was 100yds from the house.   Then a rat found a way into the septic system thru a D-box in the leach field.  Then they made their way thru the septic and into the house.   

Soo much damage.  Walls chewed from the inside out, electric wires chewed. Human and pet food destroyed.   

Took over a year to get rid of them and got rid of the chickens. 

Good luck.  Hope this helps.  

Thanks for all the advice!:howdy: