cabezon

Saltist Back Bay 4000 vs Stradic FL 5000

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hi SOL,

Looking into getting one of these two reels, would be pairing it with a Lamiglas Infinity 9'2 heavy spinning rod. Plan to throw 1-1.5 oz jigs and Texas rigged swimbaits on it here in Cali, off the rocks for rockfish and also in the surf for perch/halibut/etc. Which reel would be better?

Stradic C5000

(My) Pros over SBB;

1. More line capacity. (I have four C5000 reels and they all have ~270yd of 20# Sufix 832 on em)

2. Long stroke spool. (may give you better casting range)

3. Quicker line retrieve rate. (One can slow any reel down, but one cannot speed all reels up…)

4. Better water intrusion measures. (This is debatable I guess)

5. Power knob. (If this matters)

The SBB is a very small 4000 with limited line capacity, feels more like a 3000 in hand .  I use one on an inshore setup for bass/albies throwing small plastics/jigs.  Reel is great.  Balances out nicely with a 7’ inshore rid.   Based on size/weight/line capacity I don’t think it would be a good match with a 9’2” heavy rod. 

Thanks both! Sounds like Stradic may be the way to go then ... any other reels I should be looking at for the use case?

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, cabezon said:

any other reels I should be looking at for the use case?

Shimano C5000 in a…

Vanford

Sustain

TwinPower FD

TwinPower XD

Vanquish

Stella

Just pick a financial pain threshold and go! LOL!!!

Edited by Inshore

I have the SBB and agree with Eric W.  You might take a look at the Spheros 2019 SW if you can find one.  Otherwise the 2021 version in a 5000 size.

I have the Back Bay 4000 on 7’6” ODM Back Bay and it’s perfect love it. For my 9’6” Slingshot I have a Certate LT 5000 and it’s so light I can throw it for hours.  

Posted (edited)

I think you should look at Spheros sw 5000- 6000. I own two 5000’s one older model one newer. Spool it with 30 braid. You’re good. Saltwater strong fish. Stradic 5000 is good but rays will be hard on it. I have a cabo 40 that seems to fit my 7’6 heavy well. Big thing is you don’t want to to be tip heavy. 

Edited by jeffapeikin
Tip heavy

I woulld suggest that if you are using a Heavy weight spinning rod throwing .  1-1/2 oz plugs you will be disappointed in its performance.  I would use a medium weight rod for that work and a 4000 series reel . Spinning reels today are mostly all very good,it's what you want to pay that makes the decision. Shimano has them in all the price categories.

Guys, the rod the OP mentioned is a salmon/steelhead rod rated to 2oz. The thing probably weighs only like 6oz. May want to consider this before taking a swing at recommendations.

I fish three different SS rods in a similar application tossing 1-1.5oz and a 4K or C5k is more than enough. And keep in mind op is fishing on the left coast, it’s a lil different game…

Posted (edited)

Sorry I forgot you were liking. For a ss rod to Pair with. 

Edited by jeffapeikin

I did some research this summer but @Inshore covered most of it. Other good options were a Daiwa Certate LT 4000/5000, Daiwa Luvias 4000/5000 from a jdm site, and a VR50/75 if you need sealing at 9 ounces. And the Vanford 5k because it’s the same weight with more capacity than the 4000. 

I’m sure I missed a few but those seemed to be the options with the best price to capability value and with the least weight to capability value. 

Posted (edited)

I ended up finding a new Shimano Twin Power C5000XG off a reputable JDM site for an absolute steal (paid $280). Hopefully ends up being the right decision :) thanks everyone!! 

These JDM prices are kind of insane to be honest, and the fact that the Twin Power C5000XG is also sold in the US should make it feasible to service should I need to

Edited by cabezon

I fished a Stradic C5000 all spring and into the summer on an 8' St Croix Triumph 1/2-2 rod and it threw everything from 3/4 bucktails to 2-3/8 Super Strike poppers.  I loved the reel.  Only swapped it out for a VR150 because it was getting dunked while wading if the water was rough.  I now have it on a 7' Shimano Travela 1-4oz and I'm just as happy using it on the boat.  If you're not used to the fast line retrieve it takes some time getting used to.  But other than that very light and very smooth.  Only small thing was the roller bearing began making a very slight dragging noise early on.  But other than that, great reel for the money.

I love my stradics, I run them on a few setups. The only flaw they have is the line roller bearing is very touchy.. this has always been a problem with stradics and it’s “improved” on the FLs but it’s still only good for a season or so before it needs to be replaced. Only one of my FLs sees any spray and rarely a light splash, but even the ones that stay dry go bad by the end of the year. It’s a cheap enough part and probably the easiest thing to replace, and everything else about the reel is great, so I just buy a few replacement bearings to switch out when needed.