coastalfreak

Versatile Conventional Setups

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Howdy y’all, 

Recently took a vacation in Florida and went nearshore fishing for the first time on the reefs. Totally loved it and it’s something I want to do more of whenever I get an opportunity to head down there, or even if I get the opportunity to head offshore here in Louisiana. 

Therefore, I’m looking for a rod and reel combo that I can use for shallow(er) water bottom fishing, say to 100 feet max (for snapper, grouper, whatever else will hit bait on bottom), but something I can still use in and on bays, piers, and bridges for inshore species like drum, sharks, or stingrays. Casting isn’t as important as a surf reel would be for me but I would still like to grab something that can cast decently.

Would you guys go with a heavy spinning reel or a conventional? Any specific options in mind? I would go up to 200 on a reel, and maybe up to 100 dollars on a rod, although that may change for the better or worse. 

Thanks in advance. 
CF

Edited by coastalfreak

Find a used well taken care of Avet Lx. Personally you made need 2 rods, but you can switch the reel between them. 

A boat rod and a pier/surf rod are just two different worlds if you ask me. However i would suggest something in the realm of 7-8ft seeker in the 30-80lb class that could do it all for you. Look at the west coast forums like bd.outdoors for info on conventional rods that are good do it all for great detailed info.  

Don't think you can have 1 rod that will do it all for what you are trying to do.  

A Penn Fathom 15  or a Daiwa Saltist 20/30 will handle some of what you are looking for and they are great casters.  But they aren't good for working lures or anything like that.  When you say fishing back bays I think of fishing off a boat/kayak with lures or live bait with an inshore spinning set up.  

I would get a abu garcia rocket 6500c size reel for 7-8ft rods if you are comfortable casting convents. I own shimano's as well and for the money an ease of service I prefer Abus. Spinner should be 4000-5000 There are many that will work, Shimano has a whole line up as well Daiwa .