splions

Pain

Rate this topic

107 posts in this topic

As I am in the same boat as most of the people here it is amazing what the body can take.

Yea you look good but people do not realize your head is on a rocket heading to the sun.

Been five plus years of trying to explain to Docktors how bad it is.

Now what I have not tried is acupuncture.  

Still waiting on an appointment with a neurologist.

Good luck all!

1 min ago, CapeDave said:

As I am in the same boat as most of the people here it is amazing what the body can take.

Yea you look good but people do not realize your head is on a rocket heading to the sun.

Been five plus years of trying to explain to Docktors how bad it is.

Now what I have not tried is acupuncture.  

Still waiting on an appointment with a neurologist.

Good luck all!

I couldn't  turn my head, it hurt to breath for a long weekend.  A gym rat I  know  rec. acupuncture.  He used the needles with a Tens machine (electric pulses) , I was able to  do a push up off the table.  Helped me, hope it helps you. 

As many have said here, you have to find the source and may have to try alternate doctors.

I've been dealing with rheumatoid arthritis for about 8 months now and the pain was so severe, so often that I went from understanding why some people off themselves to being amazed at what you can grow accustomed to.

After trying literally everything I could think of, I hit on the right doc and the right medications and saw some relief.

Push through and don't give up. Insist on relief and success from yourself and those helping you.

14 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

I’ve got back pain and I’ve had people tell me to do acupuncture, but I’ve been skeptical. Does it really do anything?

My GF swears by it. Gotta keep going tho

Been down this road a few times myself. You have to get an MRI to locate which disc is causing the problem. My guess is L5-S1, I had the same. If it's bulging or herniated, that's your problem.

You may need surgery, but you got to work your way up to that. There's steroid z-packs first (usually prednisone) or injections right into the disc, therapy, stretching, ice and heat treatments etc. After you exhaust all those options, you'll discuss surgery. Then neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon?

In the old days doc's gave you opioids to combat the pain, but those days are long gone........get the MRI asap......Good Luck.

30 mins ago, Rocky_Point_Charlie said:

As many have said here, you have to find the source and may have to try alternate doctors.

I've been dealing with rheumatoid arthritis for about 8 months now and the pain was so severe, so often that I went from understanding why some people off themselves to being amazed at what you can grow accustomed to.

After trying literally everything I could think of, I hit on the right doc and the right medications and saw some relief.

Push through and don't give up. Insist on relief and success from yourself and those helping you.

Hey Rocky, not all that familiar with RA so I'll ask you. Started having left thumb pain about 6-8 months ago, can't grip an open a jar without severe pain. If I stretch my hand wide open, I feel pain in the base of the left thumb. Now the right hand has just started, same exact area, same pain with same motions. I'm just about 63, never had this issue before. It's not crippling, but more of an annoyance when I need to grab something and I don't have the strength from the pain. 

Do you have similar? I'm taking Motrin 800 every day with some mild relief.

50 mins ago, HopHead said:

Back MRI result?  Do you have an amputation?  Where exactly in the leg......starts and stops where?  What type of doc you seeing?

Neurologist at Duke.  MRI’s of brain and full spine, lumbar and sacrum.  I have had steroid injections in back and front in groin area.  Pain is just from the knee down to my foot now. Foot and most of my lower leg is numb.  Stenosis at L4-5, not enough to cause all my symptoms.  Lumbar puncture is next. 

So my son the PT has told me that if folks ignore their pain and just live with it that it can actually affect your brain and nervous system and that even when the offending problem is finally taken care of you can have ongoing "pain memory".  Essentially a long term not taking care of something can mess up your wiring.   So that is why there are pain management people out there so that this doesn't occur while they are working to find and fix the main issue.

Good luck with your healing.  Wishing a good outcome for you.

2 mins ago, splions said:

Neurologist at Duke.  MRI’s of brain and full spine, lumbar and sacrum.  I have had steroid injections in back and front in groin area.  Pain is just from the knee down to my foot now. Foot and most of my lower leg is numb.  Stenosis at L4-5, not enough to cause all my symptoms.  Lumbar puncture is next. 

Sounds like you're in good hands and a thorough workup is being done.  What we used to call RSD (reflex sympathetic dystrophy) is now called complex regional pain syndrome.....not sure if it fits the picture but you might ask your doc about it.  Curious what the LP is looking for.  No chance you have a popliteal aneurysm?  That can cause symptoms from knee down.....saw it once as a resident.  Best of luck.

2 mins ago, splions said:

You're further along than I thought. I had pain in my left hamstring and numbness down my calf into my foot, but never pain below the knee. That's gotta be really frustrating. Any talk of prescribing oxi or Percocet for pain? I mean, that's what they were developed for.

Eight knee surgeries, elbow surgery, and rotator cuff surgery, plus a bulging disk in my neck along with burstitis and old micro fractures that the UMASS Spine Center doctor told me after the neck MRI that I should just take anti-inflamatories.

I walk like Quasi Moto. I can't fish the Canal effectively any more because my casting distance sucks now, and my shoulder is on fire after an hour of trying to cast as far as possible. It is just easier to drift chunks off a bridge on the south shore.

Pain sucks.

I was getting Euflexa injections (synthetic cartilage) twice a year before my insurance changed, and they switched me over to Simvisc. My first round  of Simvisc was last Thursday, but when the physician's assistant went to my right knee, she said, "What is that?" My new lab puppy had gotten me with two 3 inch scrapes right where the needle was going in on the right side, so she would not do the shots until it healed in case I got an infection. I go back tomorrow for the shots.

Spli, what brought this all on? Accident, fall, injury, was there a specific incident that happened or did it just come on?

My gout went full chronic on me a couple years ago. Constant knee, ankle, foot, toe pain, nonstop, worst at night after being on my feet all day. Doc put me on allopurinol which i almost took this time. Instead, changed my diet and stopped drinking. 3 months and minus 40 pounds later, im better than I've been in years. Doc still thinks I'm on the meds. Didn't want to hurt his feelings since he said my high uric acid was "genetic" which is code for i don't know why it's high even though you told me your diet is awful.