ProSkateFisherman

Daiwa seagate?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

After looking around for other reels that could be a better fit out of the box than the okuma Cortez, I’ve come across the daiwa seagate, particularly sizes 35 and 40 are what I’m looking at. Just wondering if the bearings are any better on this reel out of the box. Looked into the slosh but I hate the gearbox. Does anybody know how long the freespool is? The Cortez has about 6 seconds out of the box and my Penn squall cs has about 30 seconds. Anybody use the seagate here and like it?

18 mins ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

After looking around for other reels that could be a better fit out of the box than the okuma Cortez, I’ve come across the daiwa seagate, particularly sizes 35 and 40 are what I’m looking at. Just wondering if the bearings are any better on this reel out of the box. Looked into the slosh but I hate the gearbox. Does anybody know how long the freespool is? The Cortez has about 6 seconds out of the box and my Penn squall cs has about 30 seconds. Anybody use the seagate here and like it?

No but if you’re looking for a good deal on a couple of very nice Daiwa’s, EricL has two very fine Daiwa reels for sale in the BST!

If I didn’t have so many already I would have scoffed both of them up in a second lol!

and I do believe the Seagate he has has Tiburon bars on it as well, can’t go wrong with anything from @EricLand guarantees all his tackle!

EA

And just an FYI!

Any reels free-spool time out of the box can be Adjusted quite easily by simply taking the reel part and degreasing the bearings with lighter fluid!

Then you decide how long you want the bearings to free-spin for by using the appropriate oil for the bearings!

Heavier lube less runtime!

Thinner lube more runtime!

And even though it never really had a following, the Cortez12CS has quite some good reviews across the pond and built very well!

i’ve actually been contemplating grabbing one of these somewhere just to see if it’s built as well as the reviews say!

EA

I been using a slosh 30 for at least 10 years on a 13 ft breakaway casting as hard i can , bouncing in and out of the truck and never had a malfunction… landed pool winning blues , , skates and triple header sea bass I did clean up the stock bearings and in free spool will get 42-46 seconds … when I put abec 5 bearings in just a little longer … I don’t dunk my reels … the slosh 30 will hold its own on the casting field as well … easily exceed 125 yds from a normal hatteras cast …. 

I wouldn't concern yourself with free spool out of the box.  I am not a fan of the SLOSH reels due to the gear box pointing straight down.  My knuckle slams right into it and it's not a comfortable reel for me to hold.  Seagate is similar to the Saltist reels, just not full metal.  If you can find a Saltist BG30h, I would go for that.  Leave two red brake blocks in place, slight left to right play, and you will never have any issue.

9 mins ago, animalbarrie said:

I wouldn't concern yourself with free spool out of the box.  I am not a fan of the SLOSH reels due to the gear box pointing straight down.  My knuckle slams right into it and it's not a comfortable reel for me to hold.  Seagate is similar to the Saltist reels, just not full metal.  If you can find a Saltist BG30h, I would go for that.  Leave two red brake blocks in place, slight left to right play, and you will never have any issue.

Thanks. I got the seagate 40 and I put around 110-120 yards of 50 pound braid on it and, with a proper cast, I’m able to hit the backing. It casts as good as my squall casting special. I think it will work just fine on the sand!:D

On the topic of the slosh reels, I almost got a slosh 30 as my first conventional reel. Glad I didn’t, because of the gearbox. Why would they make it like that? It looks super uncomfortable to hold. The seagate is only 20-30 dollars more and is much more comfortable to hold. I’ve heard it has the same internals as the saltist, just in a graphite body, which really doesn’t matter to me.

2 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

Thanks. I got the seagate 40 and I put around 110-120 yards of 50 pound braid on it and, with a proper cast, I’m able to hit the backing. It casts as good as my squall casting special. I think it will work just fine on the sand!:D

On the topic of the slosh reels, I almost got a slosh 30 as my first conventional reel. Glad I didn’t, because of the gearbox. Why would they make it like that? It looks super uncomfortable to hold. The seagate is only 20-30 dollars more and is much more comfortable to hold. I’ve heard it has the same internals as the saltist, just in a graphite body, which really doesn’t matter to me.

40 is a big real - good for you for being able to cast a reel that big.  A 30 sized daiwa is about as large as I will go.  A lot of people love the Slosh's, but they are very uncomfortable to cast, maybe my hands are too big?