Captain Tuttle

Zing in Wareham

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, codfish said:

Good ?

They made a spinner rig that I had great success with trolling behind a kayak and party boat fishing.  It was based on Joe Kerolidis's classic.  I am making my own but wondered what happened to the company.  Old school gear that probably lost its appeal to the sleek, modern, market-driven side of the sport. 

44 mins ago, Captain Tuttle said:

They made a spinner rig that I had great success with trolling behind a kayak and party boat fishing.  It was based on Joe Kerolidis's classic.  I am making my own but wondered what happened to the company.  Old school gear that probably lost its appeal to the sleek, modern, market-driven side of the sport. 

I remember the name, but can't recall what the spinner looked like?  Was it a version of a Niantic spinner?

25 mins ago, bob_G said:

I remember the name, but can't recall what the spinner looked like?  Was it a version of a Niantic spinner?

The only downside to this rig is the cheap spinners that would rust out in a couple of months.  This is the last NIB one I have.  

IMG_0839.jpeg

Just now, Captain Tuttle said:

The only downside to this rig is the cheap spinners that would rust out in a couple of months.  This is the last NIB one I have.  

IMG_0839.jpeg

Ok, now I remember.  A lot of guys used them for fluke.

Seems like something you could easily make yourself.

1 min ago, bob_G said:

Ok, now I remember.  A lot of guys used them for fluke.

Seems like something you could easily make yourself.

Yes, with higher quality spinners and hooks.   I got some leads on good spinners in the Lure Building forum. 

11 mins ago, Captain Tuttle said:

This video is from 2011.  I'm guessing the company didn't last much longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utvwFMHEDz8

Yup, I used to use their umbrella rigs. 

There used to be a guy in Buzzards Bay who made a custom lightweight 12 hook umbrella that was great. Made them in his basement.

But for deep water  on heavy wire or when there were blues around, I used the Zing umbrella. Real quality rig.

On 8/7/2022 at 9:48 PM, Running Ape said:

They had a cod jig shaped like a squid too?

The zing a majig? I used them for blues, nothing casts better! Never heard of them for cod, bluefish did like them as much as anyIMG_20220810_121535_890.jpg.e9437f11bd4a523795f2ba7f9e60789c.jpg Hopkins or Castmaster.

On 8/7/2022 at 9:17 PM, K Foley said:

Didn't they make Christmas tree rigs along with spinners and fish finder bait rigs?

They also made rigs for all sorts of species, including cod, haddock, fluke, mackerel, tautog, a 'sandeel' rig for stripers, etc...Probably many more that I'm missing

6 hours ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

The zing a majig? I used them for blues, nothing casts better! Never heard of them for cod, bluefish did like them as much as anyIMG_20220810_121535_890.jpg.e9437f11bd4a523795f2ba7f9e60789c.jpg Hopkins or Castmaster.

Also caught scup on tiny zingamajigs, back in the day.

On 8/7/2022 at 9:48 PM, Running Ape said:

They had a cod jig shaped like a squid too?

Got one of those.  Will try it out on fluke soon.