adam42

Anyone here magnet fish

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Just came across this recently on youtube, seems like if you're in a well trafficked location it could yield some interesting stuff but probably mostly just a dirty hobby that's mostly grabbing rusty nails and old batteries.

Considering buying a kit with magnet and rope to see what's what - but I imagine I'd get pretty bored with it pretty quickly after a lot of effort and no results and it'll end up just another failed hobby that stays in storage.

Anyone do this? Care to share your negative or positive experiences?

We cut out fish shapes from index cards, colored them, added a paperclip. You fish with string on a short pole with a little magnet. Very fun.

If you catch and release, fun for hours

Horrible Freight magnet and a chunk of rope.  Nock yerself out.   Maybe even modify the clambrella rig with mags!!!!  

Did it with the kids when they were little while we traveled the country.  Interesting hobby.  Never found much of anything though.  

Worked with a guy on the boat years ago. He had 3 fingers. We called him the claw. :D Had a knack of dropping 1/2 wrenches in the drink, so yeah, I’ve done it tons of times!

:D 

One time I was fishing in my favorite walleye/smallie river. As I'm wading across the river to get to a better spot I see this orange rope extending out into the deeper part of the river. I decide to find out what it was, so I put my rod down and put on my mask, snorkel and flippers and take a dive to find out what it is. At the end of the rope I find a magnet stuck in between two rocks. Nobody was around to claim it so I kept it. Free magnet and about 60 feet of rope. Sometimes I'd toss it around but I didn't find much, a hook or a screw. Everything good I find is from snorkeling, not magnet fishing. But it's still a fun thing to do when the fish aren't biting. The rope got tangled and I had to cut it, and as of now I haven't bothered to get a new rope, so now I use it at my workstation to find dropped hooks and swivels or lost screws, which it is very good at doing.

I think you would have fun with it. And if you get bored with it, now you have a magnet you could use for something I guess.

If it keeps this guy busy, just tell him its the best evah!

12 hours ago, adam42 said:

Just came across this recently on youtube, seems like if you're in a well trafficked location it could yield some interesting stuff but probably mostly just a dirty hobby that's mostly grabbing rusty nails and old batteries.

Considering buying a kit with magnet and rope to see what's what - but I imagine I'd get pretty bored with it pretty quickly after a lot of effort and no results and it'll end up just another failed hobby that stays in storage.

Anyone do this? Care to share your negative or positive experiences?

You should ask this question in the Main forum. Those guys are more knowledgeable on this topic.    

Watched it on TV. Mostly trash. Also watched people skin diving with metal detectors and finding stuff. I’ll stick to my metal detectors on land or sand.

Magnet fishing, lol. Let's go catch rusted, ruined stuff. Only good thing about it is getting trash out of the water.

First time I tried it along the party boat docks in Sheepshead Bay, I came up with many rusted out hooks a good fillet knife and a stilson wrench that was beyond repair, but the most interesting thing I recovered was another magnet with a short piece of shredded line on it.  The magnet is shaped like a powder horn, and have no idea what its' original use was. If you do use the magnet ,get some good cut resistant gloves.

53 mins ago, 2sammich said:

Magnet fishing, lol. Let's go catch rusted, ruined stuff. Only good thing about it is getting trash out of the water.

I agree nearly 100%  except for the time I dropped the mag cap screw to my model 12 in a deep puddle.  

Magnet

"fishing" came in handy that day.  

But yeah.  I'm not lookin for trash.  

Only time magnate fishing is any good are clearing trails and finding that bolt you dropped in the engine compartment.