JoeyZac

Fitbit? Or Something Else?

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Trying to keep better track of my health, sleep quality, exercise levels, steps and/or "lack of" all of that.

Fitbit seems to be the common goto device, but if I don't need to spend $150+ on something that I may not like and may just ditch after awhile, I'd love to go cheaper if possible.

I am a fan of numbers and stats though, so there's just as much a chance that I could get really into it.  It's a 50/50.

I don't want a subscription service, and have an Android phone (for the app).

Mostly interested in keeping track of my daily steps, my heart rate while exercising (I don't trust the handgrips on the elliptical), and trying to determine what sleep positions lead to better quality sleep.

That said, do any of you use these things?  What do you like or not like?  Suggestions for something better, different, cheaper, etc?

Thoughts?

I've got a Galaxy 3 watch that pairs with my phone. Steps, calories burned, heart rate are all covered and are visible on my watch face. Also measures sleep if you wear it to bed. Certainly, over your stated budget, but they're nice gadgets that may be something to consider anyway.

Hey Joe, I just bought an Apple Watch and have a Fit Bit in the drawer collecting dust. If you want it, I'll mail it to you with the charger. All you have to do is download the App and connect it up, maybe buy a new band on Amazon for ten bucks or so. It's a Versa 2.

I've had it for about 3 years, easy to operate.........Bob

11 mins ago, Firinne said:

Hey Joe, I just bought an Apple Watch and have a Fit Bit in the drawer collecting dust. If you want it, I'll mail it to you with the charger. All you have to do is download the App and connect it up, maybe buy a new band on Amazon for ten bucks or so. It's a Versa 2.

I've had it for about 3 years, easy to operate.........Bob

How do I say no to an offer like that.

I have usually had the Inspire, but bought a Versa 2. I like the SPo2 option. Works well enough imo. 

1 hour ago, JoeyZac said:

How do I say no to an offer like that.

You don't.

7 mins ago, East Tide said:

Garmin 945. Especially good if you run/ski/cycle but fantastic for sleep and fitness indicators.

Interested in the skiing aspect.  Please elaborate?

44 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Interested in the skiing aspect.  Please elaborate?

I have the Garmin vivoactive 3, which is not as nice as what East Tide has, but it also has a skiing tracker. (I haven’t used it, knee surgeries ended my skiing). 
I’d assume the tracker is the same:

Viewing Your Ski Runs

Your device records the details of each downhill skiing or snowboarding run using the auto run feature. This feature is turned on by default for downhill skiing and snowboarding. It automatically records new ski runs based on your movement. The timer pauses when you stop moving downhill and when you are on a chairlift. The timer remains paused during the chairlift ride. You can start moving downhill to restart the timer. You can view run details from the paused screen or while the timer is running.

I had a Fitbit. Worked great. Now I have an Apple Watch, series 7. Love this thing as well.

Problem with Apple Watch they do not offer sleep pattern recognition.  Charge only lasts less than 24 hours.  Least mine does. Series 5.

fitbit is great for sleep patterns.

Finger to the wrist, and counting, while looking at your watch second hand, still works, right?