RWP

My wife's first time kayak fishing

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Her first time kayak fishing, first fish she's ever caught that has weighed more than one pound. She got to experience every emotion of kayak fishing in one trip.

We spent 6 hours on the water. In the first 15 minutes I hooked a fish and got broken off. Not a single bite for the next 5 hours. Then she caught this monster. I got broken off again (ended up being a bad spool of line) and I landed one that was right at 26". Soon after that the wind kicked up and we headed in.

Hope you enjoy the video.

Edited by RWP

Congratulations - looks like a wonderful family day as well as a very nice Red.  What the heck kind of building is that to be built totally over the water??  OH

3 mins ago, Old Hunter said:

Congratulations - looks like a wonderful family day as well as a very nice Red.  What the heck kind of building is that to be built totally over the water??  OH

Thanks.

That's Virginia Beach Aquarium

Don’t know how she managed to not lose the fish the way the two of you bum rushed her. 

3 mins ago, connman said:

Don’t know how she managed to not lose the fish the way the two of you bum rushed her. 

Thanks for the incredibly useless comment.

I really wasn't concerned about her losing the fish.

I was concerned only with getting to the extremely inexperienced kayaker/angler who was getting towed around and potentially pulled under the building, which is low enough to catch a rod, a net or your face and flip the kayak.

15 mins ago, adam42 said:

Any tip overs or close calls?

Fortunately no. She handled everything really well.

3 hours ago, RWP said:

Thanks for the incredibly useless comment.

I really wasn't concerned about her losing the fish.

I was concerned only with getting to the extremely inexperienced kayaker/angler who was getting towed around and potentially pulled under the building, which is low enough to catch a rod, a net or your face and flip the kayak.

Forgive me , I missed you initial attempt at grabbing the stern of her kayak , which is exactly what I would have tried to do also and pull her away from trouble. 
I am quite familiar with inexperienced wife kayaking. Last week in Vermont she flipped her kayak getting in at the dock while I watched in silence from the dock. 30+ years of marriage has thought me to just keep my mouth shut. She got out ,when and showered and changed and proceeded to jump back in the kayak again. Not a word was said about her mishap. 

On 8/6/2022 at 2:04 PM, RWP said:

Her first time kayak fishing, first fish she's ever caught that has weighed more than one pound. She got to experience every emotion of kayak fishing in one trip.

We spent 6 hours on the water. In the first 15 minutes I hooked a fish and got broken off. Not a single bite for the next 5 hours. Then she caught this monster. I got broken off again (ended up being a bad spool of line) and I landed one that was right at 26". Soon after that the wind kicked up and we headed in.

Hope you enjoy the video.

Strongly advise a tether for that lip grip!   Had a similar experience on Sunday and will post about it in another thread.

Beauty of a red.  Did ya get any for dinner?

A 30 inch Bluefish in them Aquarium pylons is no joke!   Ask me how I know...

1 hour ago, KnewBee said:

Strongly advise a tether for that lip grip!   Had a similar experience on Sunday and will post about it in another thread.

Beauty of a red.  Did ya get any for dinner?

A 30 inch Bluefish in them Aquarium pylons is no joke!   Ask me how I know...

The red I caught was legal, but we're not a huge fan of eating the bigger reds. Plus our freezer is full of sheep already.

It's kind of funny, I took her to the aquarium because usually the fish there are pretty small. I figured she could get a few puppies to learn the basics.