Tarpaw

What did this?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Not really the OBX, but we’re at our place at Oak Island, NC this week. Yesterday evening I carried my drum heaver out with my little rods so I could soak a bigger bait while fishing with Fishbites and occasionally throwing some metal. 

Tossed out a croaker head on a standard 8/0 drum rig since that’s what was already tied on and you can’t win if you don’t play, but figured I’d most likely get a shark if anything. After a while the heaver bent over for a few seconds and then the line went slack. Figured a biter just inhaled the head, swam off, and bit through the mono as has happened many times down here when I’ve been too lazy to tie on a shark rig to begin with.

When I got it reeled in, the break was nowhere near the hook. It was 6-8 feet from the terminal end of my 60# shock leader and it was weirdly frayed. It was a new, smooth leader when I cast. Best I can figure is it was either the tail of a good sized shark or something hard on the bottom but it’s a relatively flat beach and I’ve never gotten hung before in years of fishing the same area.

Our house is, however just a hundred or so yards east of the site of the old Long Beach Pier that was taken down in 2007 and there are still piling stubs that are visible when the tide is unusually low and supposedly they’d sunk some concrete “structures” near the pier to attract fish years ago. Suspect the occasional hurricanes could move those around. 

Thoughts? Not important, just fun to ponder. 

1A275856-D615-49A4-ADC1-446C2F29C4E3.jpeg

FAD65CC0-16B4-4128-8720-CE582295050D.jpeg

0800845D-0A15-449E-BB66-618C573FAC01.jpeg

I'm going with shark abrasion because of the distance from your terminal end. 

maybe the Salvo hole monster moved south with the beach replenishment?  :)

Shark could have been swimming and your line just randomly ended up in its mouth.  I've had that happen a few times.

Posted (edited)

45 mins ago, animalbarrie said:

Shark could have been swimming and your line just randomly ended up in its mouth.  I've had that happen a few times.

Yes, once out tuna fishing I had a blue dog swim into my line with his mouth open and that happened, well above the hook & leader.  We were able to go over to the balloon and retrieve our rig!!

Edited by Roccus7

9 hours ago, towpro said:

maybe the Salvo hole monster moved south with the beach replenishment?

Maybe so. There’s room for him now. We got renourished early this spring. At first we has a featureless wide but flat beach but now we’ve got a pretty steep shore break and deep slough at high tide with a small bar about 75 yards out with lots of rips (and sadly 4 drowning fatalities this summer).

6 hours ago, animalbarrie said:

Shark could have been swimming and your line just randomly ended up in its mouth.

Possibly, but he must not have bitten down for a while. Or maybe he was missing a few teeth!

I vote sandtiger, they will inhale the bait and swim towards the shore open mouthed making the line slack and right in their teeth to cut you off (the laziest of the sharks!)

On 8/12/2022 at 2:16 PM, MDsurffishing said:

I vote sandtiger, ...

Lots of those nearby, at least based on the Frying Pan Shoals light tower's live "Shark Cam" (that hasn't shown anything live this year that I've seen, only reruns). That's about 20 miles out from where we are, just off Cape Fear.