frazerp

Massachusetts Commercial Bass Fishery Closed

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Ny has a set quota and each licensed commercial fisherman holding a bass permit is issued a certain number of tags , not sure of the exact number this year , maybe 185? Season ends in December. 

3 hours ago, pakalolo said:

Ny has a set quota and each licensed commercial fisherman holding a bass permit is issued a certain number of tags , not sure of the exact number this year , maybe 185? Season ends in December. 

Does NY commercial quota still have a slot?  

7 hours ago, pakalolo said:

Yes , 28-36”? But a definite slot  

Thanks- I’ve always liked  that aspect with NY comm regs.  Protects the large breeders. 

Just an early nail in the bass coffin,keep up the good work.  Make stripers a game fish and end what is going on.  Poaching will continue as long as a market exists for selling these fish.

24 mins ago, John P said:

Just an early nail in the bass coffin,keep up the good work.  Make stripers a game fish and end what is going on.  Poaching will continue as long as a market exists for selling these fish.

Florida has a clue, but that’s pretty much it. Sport Fish 

I spend winters in SWFL and fish the everglades. They have figured this all out. Snook are game fish. Everyone agrees it's the best way to have a very successful fishery.  One fish allowed for recs with a slot. Closed season during breeding times. All the guides I know encourage c/r for their clients. Tarpon have strict rules on catch release .  Most important they  have enforcement for all the rules with big fines for violations.  I have been stopped in the back country of everglades at 6:00AM for check.  I have never been stopped in LIS in 50 yrs of fishing.

10 hours ago, pakalolo said:

Yes , 28-36”? But a definite slot  

26-38.

Probably a mistake dropping the low end from 28 to 26.  It let them harvest the 2015s a little sooner, at the cost of a few tags, but also at the cost of lost spawning potential.

4 hours ago, John P said:

Absolutely. Removing 30,000 or so prime breeders with an overfished stock is the sort of genius that one gets from the asmfc. 

But hey, going forward rec anglers will bend over, get a smaller part of a public resource so the asmfc can maintain a commercial fishery. 

I think it would be best to open it wide up and let the damn thing crash now vs the slower decline over several years.