Kings over Queens

What do you owe your job, or customers?

Rate this topic

137 posts in this topic

This one has been on my mind for a few weeks now.

Recently learned that my wife's OB/GYN closed their practice.  No warning, no email, nothing.  Just a note on the door and an announcement if you call the office.  They recommended a new practice but there was no hand off, no introduction, no communication.  "Please call this doctors office for future treatment."  That's it.

Really pissed me off.  My wife had a 30 year relationship with this practice, and a very special bond with one of the doctors.  She's been through a miscarriage, three births, and 30 years of treatment.  My daughter even started going to see her.  They weren't in our plan when Obamacare took over, so I paid cash, for my wife's comfort.

So the question for discussion, is what do we as providers of a service, whether that be as an employee, or in a professional capacity, owe our employers, customers or clients/patients when retiring?

That is ****ed up, and the Dr definitely owed you more than that. Even a letter of explanation would have worked. Maybe she died unexpectedly? 

As far as the big picture goes, depends on the business... 

I don’t get it, why are we mad? If doc provided good health care for all that time  isn’t that enough? 

I think a letter would have been nice.

She just closed the practice, or she sold it?  If sold, I understand the non-notice.

my doctor did basically the same thing, she went to work for a big healthcsre company, you call her number they answer and she works there lol

What about the records? When my ortho guy retired, he said he was going to and if you want your records, come get them, and anyway Dr. Kaplan would have access to them.

Seems to me records are important. 

Who’s got her physical records and where will they end up?

And yea, a little heads up would have been nice. 

Posted (edited)

Man this brings back memories from the Y2K era.  

I worked for a computer education and certification department within the wall street journal.  We had top notch instructors and certification paths.  Contracts out the wazoo all over the state and with the State of NJ themselves.  

I remember going to a third party location to help prep a class somewhere in princeton and they had their own on site dude who handled their equipment.  Projectors, PC's and whatnot.  

Anyway on the 3rd day of class I show up bright and early as did the onsite guy.  

Doors are locked and nobody's home.  We waited and waited and waited.  The students started showing up and we're all baffled.  Finally we make the decision to call it.  Later that day at my office in WSJ we find out that the company simply shut down.  I talked to that poor guy who worked there setting things up and they never even paid him for his final weeks.  I told him he better at least snag a few projectors.... and he did.  

I always think about that and how scummy people can be.  

Edited by ChumSlickJon

2 mins ago, Billybob said:

Seems to me records are important. 

I got 35 years worth from my guy on LI.

My new guy wasn’t interested, what’s online is all he needs. :why:

8 mins ago, Otter said:

I don’t get it, why are we mad? If doc provided good health care for all that time  isn’t that enough? 

Wife and I are relationship driven people.  Would have been nice to thank her for the years of service, perhaps get a glimpse into what was going on (she has had more than a glimpse in our business if you get my drift :naughty:) and be introduced to the new doc.

Hence my question, is that asking too much?  

How would your long standing customers feel if they called to fill a big order and you weren't there?